Silsbee vs PA Lincoln Feb. 1995 at Lamar University

BADSANTA

The game I saw was the regional finals, played in Deer Park.  That was the most impressive line-up I've seen for Silsbee.  They had size in the front court and talent in the back court.  Silsbee had 2 6'5" post players.  They weren't skinny post players either.  Both of those guys looked like they had been pumping iron.

As impressive as Silsbee's line up was, Lincoln's  team was a  better.  I still believe if Silsbee could of gotten past Lincoln, and they came close, they would of won state that year.

Who were those 2 post players for Silsbee?  It would of been nice if they had left those genes/dna in town.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That years Starting Lineup was Donyell "Boo" Allen 6'4, Damion Bush 6'0 (1st Team Allstate), Willie Jones (played QB) 6'4, Russel Whitmore 6'5, Al Henry 6'2 (2nd Team Allstate). Silsbee also have 2 6'4 guys coming off the bench and 2 guards in Edwin Elam and D.D. Taylor who could play with the best of them. Donyell was a also a high jumper and Wille Jones played Football and ran track. All players in that lineup played college ball.

Yea I think both teams were over confident and the other teans brought their absolute best games. It seems Silsbee can't ever get over the hump in basketball. Some people talk about its coaching. IMO I think its a game of how the ball bounces. If state championships were given out during the regular season, Silsbee would have 20 of them!

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="973522" timestamp="1298774434"]
Yea I think both teams were over confident and the other teans brought their absolute best games. It seems Silsbee can't ever get over the hump in basketball. Some people talk about its coaching. IMO I think its a game of how the ball bounces. If state championships were given out during the regular season, Silsbee would have 20 of them!
[/quote]in 3A? not 4A

Silsbee has won 20+ games 26 out of 30 seasons. I think in the schools history they have been to state 5 times. With the talent we have had, you would think Silsbee would have 2-3 state titles and 8-9 appearances. Not the case. Playoff basketball is so different from the regular season. This groups that's about to graduate has been the most successful of any. They have been to state 2 times and have 3 district championships. Thats damn awesome to me! No other school besides HJ can say that over the past 4 yrs.

Silsbee was very dominate as a 4A school as well Scooter. Go to the school and look at that wall. They went to state twice in 4A. They have a ton of district titles and made the playoffs every year but 1. Remember until like 199f, only 2 teams went to the playoffs. It was always Silsbee and Cleveland or Silsbee and PA Lincoln.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="973761" timestamp="1298852287"]
I can remember when for a year, maybe two Silsbee was a ranked 4A team, back when 4A was the largest Class.  They hadn't come out with 5A yet.  So, Silsbee was a ranked 5A school, more or less, at one time.
[/quote]

Actually that's inaccurate. The classifications used to be 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A, and Class B. Silsbee was 3A every year but two (couple of years in the 60's they were 4A). Then the UIL changed the classifications to 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A. They eliminated the Class B. Silsbee became a 4A then (which theoretically was 3A). Their enrollment kept them in 4A (the old 3A) for many years up until they dropped to 3A (the old 2A) in the fall of 2004.

I don't recall us being ranked in basketball those couple of years we were 4A (which is now 5A) in the 60's.

I'm giving away my age, lol, but here goes: I don't remember the season '69-'70.  I was in the 8th grade and hadn't really discovered high school basketball.  The '70-'71 team was in class 4A and was a very good team.  I can't recall if they were ranked, but like I said, they were prominent.   Players on that team: David Matthews, Bush, Joe Price, and Larry Irvin, rip.  That's all I can remember.  Coach Dan Montgomery.

The '71-'72 team was a very good team.  They were probably ranked # 1 at one time, but I don't remember. I think it was a 3A team.  5A hadn't come up yet.  6'8" all american David Brown at Strong post.   Super athlete James Hunter playing wing/forward.  Lots of good role players.  They made it to Austin, but got toasted by Odessa Ector.  I went to that game.

Lots of good people, good citizens on the teams in 73 and 74.  Herb Sapp.  James E Simmons.  Predestrian teams. 73 to 75 was the time of Michael Dabney.  IMO he could hoop with anybody that has ever come out of Silsbee.  He was magical; you have to see him play to believe it.  Too bad video wasn't as prominent then as it is now.

'76 was a good team lead by Anthony Brown, David Brown's younger brother.   Good b ballers on that team.  Brown was the tallest at 6'2".  Lack of height was their weakness.  If that team had some height, who know?

My half brother Randy played on a #1 ranked team.  This was around 78, 79, 80, somewhere in there.  I was away in the military, but I kept up with them via newspaper microfiche.  No internet in those days.   I never saw them play, but they had height.  They fell in the playoffs, rather early.  A trend?

I missed the David Greens, the Darrell MacArthur's , etc.  I've been told many times they were very good.  I started paying attention again in 95.

DFW sports writer Dwaine Price could tell you about that 70s era, as good as anyone can.

;D ;D you guys sound like a bunch of Dallas Cowboy fans.. Talking about how great you use to be :D No one cares about yesterday ,other that people that just live in the pass. Everyone is looking to tomorrow night. Then the weekend then the State Tour. Good luck to all the teams still in the playoffs, and to the one that are out.. just work harder next year.

[quote name="True Blue" post="974479" timestamp="1298989818"]
;D ;D you guys sound like a bunch of Dallas Cowboy fans.. Talking about how great you use to be :D No one cares about yesterday ,other that people that just live in the pass. Everyone is looking to tomorrow night. Then the weekend then the State Tour. Good luck to all the teams still in the playoffs, and to the one that are out.. just work harder next year.
[/quote]

to me it seems like every post that i read or has something to do with someone or something about silsbee and their players you try and down them... what i would like to know is what school did you graduate from?

[quote name="GoGetta56" post="974520" timestamp="1298994917"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=78099.msg974479#msg974479 date=1298989818]
[/quote]

to me it seems like every post that i read or has something to do with someone or something about silsbee and their players you try and down them... what i would like to know is what school did you graduate from?
[/quote]Seeing that you are a rookie on here, the truth is that I have nothing against Silsbee, but its time for some on here to eat a little Crow..All we have heard all year is....How great this years team was, and that how they were going to beat HJ three times on there way to Austin... 

[quote name="True Blue" post="974479" timestamp="1298989818"]
[/quote]

Read the subject and that is usually what the discussion is about.  Duh.  This is not rocket science.  There are all sorts of 'x' out icons, entrance icons.  If you don't like what you are reading, step to a top that you like.  Quit being a butt head.

True Blue what has your team done lately??? This topic was started 3 months ago. We honestly could care less that Silsbee is no longer in the playoffs. I do feel for the kids, parents, and coaches. Life goes on. You on the other hand need to focus on weather or not Brookshire Bros. will allow you to work a 40hr schedule in order to keep that tin can you call a home paid up!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124