West Sabine vs. Spurger Update Thread/West Sabine wins 52-38

WOSgrad

Last year this would have been an upset with a Blankinship lead Spurger team. Spurger was definitely the better team last year. This was actually the game that Blankinship got hurt...
This year WS has the same team back plus a very good and deep bench,  Good luck to both teams the remainder of the year.
BucketSitR

Being in the stands, yes this was an upset. When ever a #22 beats a #5 team, it is an upset.
Spurger and WS were very competitive throughout the first half. If I recall it right, the spread never got above 3 or 4 points. From the beginning of the 3rd qtr, Spurger just did not stay in the game that played in the first half. Severalof us commented that Spurger offense was very high and could not get WS to get away from their post. Spurger would not take an outside shot and would attempt to pass into the post to where it would get stolen. WS played very well and consistent. The point spread drifted up to 10 and then Spurger went into "force it" mode where WS took advantange of the turnovers. Spurger played a very odd game for them. They just did not look "together" and did not gel at all.

Hats off to WS, they played very well.

[quote name="nuthinbutnet" post="928691" timestamp="1291823091"]
Being in the stands, yes this was an upset. [b]When ever a #22 beats a #5 team, it is an upset[/b].
Spurger and WS were very competitive throughout the first half. If I recall it right, the spread never got above 3 or 4 points. From the beginning of the 3rd qtr, Spurger just did not stay in the game that played in the first half. Severalof us commented that Spurger offense was very high and could not get WS to get away from their post. Spurger would not take an outside shot and would attempt to pass into the post to where it would get stolen. WS played very well and consistent. The point spread drifted up to 10 and then Spurger went into "force it" mode where WS took advantange of the turnovers. Spurger played a very odd game for them. They just did not look "together" and did not gel at all.

Hats off to WS, they played very well.
[/quote]

Spurger is #5 in 1A-II and West Sabine was #22 in 1A-I, which is a higher classification so I wouldnt call this an upset.   Spurger is ranked high because of their run to the state tournament last year and then dropping down classifications.  There are other teams in the region though I would say deserve to be ranked ahead of them based on their early season resume, like Dodd City and Laneville.  Rankings dont many very much especially this early in the season, but I would expect to see Spurger to drop a little over the next couple weeks.  Their region is very tough and will be hard to win (and their district too) so it should be pretty interesting to see how it plays out.

Just an opinion.  I would not go anything off of rankings.  You can get a generel feel but you can not tell alot.  Most times they rank based on previous season. And you know how escpecially in 1A losing 1 or 2 good players can really hurt.  I dont pay much at all to rankings.  When district gets here, then I will take more concern. JMO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83