Countdown.SETXsports Your Offical Source For HS Baseball

I can't wait. Football season has been horrible. Basketball (boys) season will probably be horrible. Baseball season will be :?: With that large senior playoff-making class gone we will be soph and junior driven. Will we have pitching? Can they hit? Who is going to be the next big thing after Joey? It may take 2 or 3 yrs to find out!

111 days

I'll try to include some kinda stat each day that kills 20 minutes of my day..

It took Babe Ruth 7+ seasons to hit 111 homeruns. But he only had 1182 at bats in those 7+ seasons to reach 111 homeruns. Thats one every 10.6 at bats.

With the average ball player today getting 450 at bats....it would take 16 years of averaging a homerun every 10 at bats to reach his 3rd Place standing.

BTW, Jeff Bagwell who was around forever, only played 15 seasons

Guest coachhooker

i think the count down to baseball season is awsom keep up the quotes, the first thing i do when i get in the classroom every morning is check for your new quote/stat

105 Days

105 Years Ago, in the 1901 season, Sam Crawford of the Cincinnati Reds, led the league with 16 Homeruns.....He was only one of five players to have 10 or more homeruns on the year.

Honus Wagner, the pirates shortstop, led the league in RBI's with 126 and Leading in average was Nap Lajoie, yep that Nap Lajoie hit .426....

To put some things in perspective, 192 major league baseball players hit 10 or more homeruns in 2006...the leader with 58...

Carlos Zambrano, ace of the Cubs, even had 6 homeruns in 73 at bats....thats one every 12 ab's

104 Days and Counting

In 1971 Hank Aaron had 104 put outs as an outfielder, and had 671 as a first baseman....This was his last year before solely becoming a DH....

As I was researching for a Hank Aaron statistic today, I realized that he only recieved 406 out of 415 (97.8%)votes for the hall of fame...who in the world doesnt' vote for Hank Aaron

Hank got his break into proball playing for the Indianapolis Clowns in 1952. He was the last Negro League Player to play in the major leagues.

Hank also had 21 Sac Bunts in his career...Barry Bonds has only had 1 since 1989...

As I was researching for a Hank Aaron statistic today' date=' I realized that he only recieved 406 out of 415 (97.8%)votes for the hall of fame...who in the world doesnt' vote for Hank Aaron[/quote']

I guess these sports writers hold a grudge if during your career you p***

a couple off.

As Shoeless Joe said in Field of Dreams

" Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the sob when we were alive, so we told him to stick it! " Cobb pulled more votes than the Babe.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/hof_voting/year/1936.htm

103 Days and Counting

103 Years ago in the 1903 World Series, the First Ever World Series was played...

The Boston Americans Defeated the Pittsburg Pirates 5-3....No not a score of 5-3 but the series was decided after 5-3....that's right it was a best of 9 series.

The first world series was played because the two seperate leagues were caught up in bickering, contract jumping and name-calling that was hurting both leagues' attendance.

1903_Boston_Club_400.jpg

Your 1903 World Series Champions, The Boston Americans

102 Days to Go...

In 1965, The Minnesota Twins won the American League with a record of 102-60....

They were defeated in the World Series by the LA Dodgers...

The twins had several all-stars: Earl Battey,Mudcat Grant,Jimmie Hall, Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, and Zoilo Versalles...

Lot of intersting players but the ringer of the group had to be Tony Oliva, not Harmon Killebrew....

Oliva led this team in Batting Average, On-base %, Slugging % ,OPS , Hits, RBI's, Singles, Runs, Sac Flies, and At Bats per K....

Plus Oliva finished in the top 10 of the MVP 5 times, and winning Rookie of the Year in 1964.

But all I have every read about was Harmon Killebrew, nothing on Tony Oliva....

99 Days to Go....Interesting factiod of the day

In 1907, 99 Years ago, The strike zone was developed.

A fairly delivered ball is a ball pitched or thrown to the bat by the pitcher while standing in his position and facing the batsman that passes over any portion of the home base, before touching the ground, not lower than the batsman's knee, nor higher than his shoulder :shock: :shock: . For every such fairly delivered ball, the umpire shall call one strike.

An unfairly delivered ball is a ball delivered to the bat by the pitcher while standing in his position and facing the batsman that does not pass over any portion of the home base between the batsman's shoulder and knees, or that touches the ground before passing home base, unless struck at by the batsman. For every unfairly delivered ball the umpire shall call one ball.

This is a far cry from the way the strike zone was administered in 1867.

The batsman, on taking his position, must call for a 'high,' 'low,' or 'fair' pitch, and the umpire shall notify the pitcher to deliver the ball as required; such a call cannot be changed after the first pitch is delivered.

High - pitches over the plate between the batter's waist and shoulders

Low - pitches over the plate between the batter's waist and at least one foot from the ground.

Fair - pitches over the plate between the batter's shoulders and at least one foot from the ground

Must have been nice to tell the pitcher you wanted a hanging slider

98 Days to go....I can here the pinging now...

Through Roberto Clement's first 5 seasons he had 98 assists....

He lead the league in outfield assists 5 different seasons and finished his shortened career with 269 assists....

269 baserunners challenged that cannon????

269 seems like a lot but it is nothing compared to Tristram E Speaker (nicknamed the Grey Eagle) who had a 449 outfield assists... :shock:

Tristram attended Texas Wesleyan University before playing for the Boston Americans in 1907

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124