How bout the Coaches take some blame

[quote name="mffl" post="879472" timestamp="1287415200"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74589.msg879426#msg879426 date=1287410710]
Somehow losing brings out our alter egos.
[/quote]

You are so right my friend.

I think Woodard is a good coach from what I hear from players, they really respect what he has to say and he seems to know a lot and is a great leader. However, I'm not so sure about his hires.

I think Coach Hinshaw is a great coach, his resume proves it. However what he did as a D-Coordinator then was with way different talent.

Coach Whitten... well as much I hate to say this, but the katfans have seem to be right so far on this guy.

The jury is still out on these 2 guys though because as I said, it is still our first year. I will hold back my criticism until year 2.
[/quote]mffl, you're a man(?) of conviction. Hard to sway you to the darkside. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="879477" timestamp="1287415451"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=74589.msg879472#msg879472 date=1287415200]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74589.msg879426#msg879426 date=1287410710]
Somehow losing brings out our alter egos.
[/quote]

You are so right my friend.

I think Woodard is a good coach from what I hear from players, they really respect what he has to say and he seems to know a lot and is a great leader. However, I'm not so sure about his hires.

I think Coach Hinshaw is a great coach, his resume proves it. However what he did as a D-Coordinator then was with way different talent.

Coach Whitten... well as much I hate to say this, but the katfans have seem to be right so far on this guy.

The jury is still out on these 2 guys though because as I said, it is still our first year. I will hold back my criticism until year 2.
[/quote]mffl, you're a man(?) of conviction. Hard to sway you to the darkside. :D
[/quote]
Yes sir I am a man haha.

It is easy to type positive thoughts. Now the words that come out of my mouth  ::)  ;)

Guys, this is our first year to compete on the football field. The athletic complex (for strength and conditioning wasn't finished until after the season started) so I believe they will improve by getting bigger, stronger and faster. Plus, it is proven the better conditioned athlete has fewer injuries.

It is too early to dog the coaching staff. It is the players who make the players or don't. I don't think Coach Woodard fumbled the ball 5 times on Saturday. You guys keep on talking about a running game. Well, you first have to hold on to the ball. Then it would be nice to gain a few yards if somehow you can keep the ball protected.

Man, if you can't run what is the only other option? Pass the football but our QB is not taking care of the ball either. IMO, he is still hands down the best option so I hope Coach Woodard takes these two weeks to get another QB ready for North Dakota so I can say I told you so (about Bevil). There isn't a better QB on the team this year.

Then how can you dog the defense when they are on the field the whole game. USA was averaging over 50 PPG and the defense held them to ONE TD, the rest of the scoring was FG's and a defensive TD.

Now, the punter did a good job since he was used EIGHT times Saturday but I am not sold on the kicker. The coaching staff states he is injured but I think they may need to use one scholarship to find someone else who can back him up if he is injured or beat him out for the starting position.

That is all I'm saying at this point and I'm not going to argue the point. Again people we are a first year program and I'll be happy with 5 or 6 wins this season.

You guys dog the coaches all you want. That isn't my style.

[quote name="bigred360" post="879575" timestamp="1287419171"]
Guys, this is our first year to compete on the football field. The athletic complex (for strength and conditioning wasn't finished until after the season started) so I believe they will improve by getting bigger, stronger and faster. Plus, it is proven the better conditioned athlete has fewer injuries.

It is too early to dog the coaching staff. It is the players who make the players or don't. I don't think Coach Woodard fumbled the ball 5 times on Saturday. You guys keep on talking about a running game. Well, you first have to hold on to the ball. Then it would be nice to gain a few yards if somehow you can keep the ball protected.

Man, if you can't run what is the only other option? Pass the football but our QB is not taking care of the ball either. IMO, he is still hands down the best option so I hope Coach Woodard takes these two weeks to get another QB ready for North Dakota so I can say I told you so (about Bevil). There isn't a better QB on the team this year.

Then how can you dog the defense when they are on the field the whole game. USA was averaging over 50 PPG and the defense held them to ONE TD, the rest of the scoring was FG's and a defensive TD.

Now, the punter did a good job since he was used EIGHT times Saturday but I am not sold on the kicker. The coaching staff states he is injured but I think they may need to use one scholarship to find someone else who can back him up if he is injured or beat him out for the starting position.

That is all I'm saying at this point and I''m not going to argue the point. Again people we are a first year program and I'll be happy with 5 or 6 wins this season.

You guys dog the coaches all you want. That isn't my style.

[/quote]

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment to me. There aren't any MAJOR problems with the team, in reality, you have all the pieces to field a great squad, but there are a lot of MINOR problems that accumulate throughout the game. Poor run blocking, failure to hold onto the ball when running, poor QB reads, defensive schemes are mismatched, etc.

All things that are just kinks in the system that get worked out as a team plays together.

I am seeing a lot of posters say that the kicker is not holding up his end of the deal.... I could not agree with you more.  It's ashame that they let Taylor Trahan slip through their fingers.  We definitely would not have to worry about missed field goal attempts!

[quote name="DOGS1988" post="879596" timestamp="1287420141"]
I am seeing a lot of posters say that the kicker is not holding up his end of the deal.... I could not agree with you more.  [b]It's ashame that they let Taylor Trahan slip through their fingers.[/b]  We definitely would not have to worry about missed field goal attempts!
[/quote]

You got that right. 

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="879722" timestamp="1287426403"]
[quote author=DOGS1988 link=topic=74589.msg879596#msg879596 date=1287420141]
I am seeing a lot of posters say that the kicker is not holding up his end of the deal.... I could not agree with you more.  [b]It's ashame that they let Taylor Trahan slip through their fingers.[/b]  We definitely would not have to worry about missed field goal attempts!
[/quote]

You got that right. 
[/quote]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=74589.msg879709#msg879709 date=1287425916]
If Taylor Trahan wouldn't have screwed around he may have made it.  Coaches gave him 3 different chances.  There is more to that story than everyone is presenting!
[/quote]

Didn't Kahler (punter) and one of the freshman QB's also placekick in HS?  I think I remeber the blurb on them when recruited said this.  If curent PK is injured [reportedly can not even kick in p[ractice during week due to groin injury] maybe one of these other players could fill in?  Just a thought.

[quote name="DOGS1988" post="879596" timestamp="1287420141"]
I am seeing a lot of posters say that the kicker is not holding up his end of the deal.... I could not agree with you more.  It's ashame that they let Taylor Trahan slip through their fingers.  We definitely would not have to worry about missed field goal attempts!
[/quote]

Some TSU-SM posters were blaming the kicker for their quadruple overtime loss to Nicholls on Saturday, and it reminded me of something my high school coach used to tell me. If the offense had played better, we wouldn't have needed the kicker to begin with. Before you start blaming kickers for not making chip shots, just think about if the offense had done a little better and gotten him closer. He used to tell us that if the defense had picked up some fumbles or ran back some interceptions, we wouldn't have lost either. We lost a lot. =(

That's my opinion on it, but that's because I saw my offense in high school get chewed out a lot, and we were all pretty down after losses. It's easy to blame the kicker.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879738" timestamp="1287427034"]
[/quote]

Some TSU-SM posters were blaming the kicker for their quadruple overtime loss to Nicholls on Saturday, and it reminded me of something my high school coach used to tell me. If the offense had played better, we wouldn't have needed the kicker to begin with. Before you start blaming kickers for not making chip shots, just think about if the offense had done a little better and gotten him closer. He used to tell us that if the defense had picked up some fumbles or ran back some interceptions, we wouldn't have lost either. We lost a lot. =(

That's my opinion on it, but that's because I saw my offense in high school get chewed out a lot, and we were all pretty down after losses. It's easy to blame the kicker.
[/quote]

Oh come on, if not for the kicker we would be undefeated!  :D

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="879773" timestamp="1287429663"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=74589.msg879738#msg879738 date=1287427034]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh come on, if not for the kicker we would be undefeated!   :D
[/quote]

If not for the kicker, you would have been shut out against SFA. I feel bad for kickers. They get all the grief if they miss one and the team loses, but the QB gets all the credit for driving them down the field in the final minutes so that the kicker can kick it.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879776" timestamp="1287430004"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=74589.msg879773#msg879773 date=1287429663]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If not for the kicker, you would have been shut out against SFA. I feel bad for kickers. They get all the grief if they miss one and the team loses, but the QB gets all the credit for driving them down the field in the final minutes so that the kicker can kick it.
[/quote]

Hello??!!  It was a joke!!!  We lost 71-3 to SFA.  I don't think that was the kicker's fault.  We were hammered by SHSU.  The kicker would have to have made what?  10-12 field goals (I can't recall that score).  And we lost 26-0 to USA!  You really think anyone thinks that was the kicker's fault?

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879776" timestamp="1287430004"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=74589.msg879773#msg879773 date=1287429663]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your coach wouldn't have been Coach Larry Haynes at Lumberton?

[quote name="bigred360" post="879824" timestamp="1287432816"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=74589.msg879776#msg879776 date=1287430004]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i think the kicker will be fine..he shanked one, big whoop-- bevil shanked the whole game...amazing though, rag the kicker, bevil is untouchable..must be a wo-s thing

punter gots some wheels..put him at wideout.

[quote name="sleepy" post="879709" timestamp="1287425916"]
If Taylor Trahan wouldn't have screwed around he may have made it.  Coaches gave him 3 different chances.  There is more to that story than everyone is presenting!
[/quote]

Please enlighten the rest of us since you know so much.  Also how do you know he was given 3 chances, are you a coach?  I can't see Trahan screwing off when it comes to kicking. 

[quote name="bigred360" post="879824" timestamp="1287432816"]

[/quote]

Nope, ol' Lamar alum and NFL pro Johnny Fuller.

[quote author=sleepy]If Taylor Trahan wouldn't have screwed around he may have made it.  Coaches gave him 3 different chances.  There is more to that story than everyone is presenting!
[/quote]

Yea, and if he had made those three kicks then Lamar would have lost 26-9. It's still a loss. The offense was non-existent Saturday.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="879962" timestamp="1287439787"]
[/quote]

Please enlighten the rest of us since you know so much.  Also how do you know he was given 3 chances, are you a coach?  I can't see Trahan screwing off when it comes to kicking. 
[/quote]

He isn't a coach. His brother is one but not at Lamar. As a former Lamar athlete, he has several sources and knows more than most about the Cardinals athletic department.

That said, I'm not stating he is correct because I don't know. However, I do know Trahan was given a tryout as a walk-on.

Can't we all get along.  :D :D :D

[quote name="bigred360" post="879973" timestamp="1287440342"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=74589.msg879962#msg879962 date=1287439787]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He isn't a coach. His brother is one but not at Lamar. As a former Lamar athlete, he has several sources and knows more than most about the Cardinals athletic department.

That said, I'm not stating he is correct because I don't know. However, I do know Trahan was given a tryout as a walk-on.

[b]Can't we all get along.  :D :D :D[/b]
[/quote]

That wouldn't be nearly as fun.

[quote name="HardHitter" post="879968" timestamp="1287440043"]
I disagree with the thought that our RB's aren't any good, heck when they run against our D they get 8yards a carry.....Derrick Hall is not going any where the way we are blocking...period.
[/quote]

No one has said they aren't any good. They are having trouble holding on to the ball as Logan, Asante and Hussey have all fumbled at least once this season. Asante is over-rated in my opinion, Logan in 5'6, 170lbs and Hussey is 5'6, 189lbs. Derrick Hall is 5'10, 210lbs and can run circles around our current RB's. I've seen a listed forty time of 4.3 but a few people don't seem to think he is that fast so I'll say he is a legit 4.4 in the forty.

So, what does that mean. Well, he can hit the holes quicker, he is bigger than Logan and Hussey. Then on plays to the edge he has the speed to get to the corner.

Now, am I saying I think the blocking has been great? No, you don't have to be a coach to see the OL is having trouble opening lanes for the backs.

Logan and Hussey are good RB's but Hall was recruited by the likes of Texas A&M for a reason and the other two weren't. Just a fact.

Just to let you all know, Sleepy, I am Taylor's dad. I DO know what Brian Mayper told Taylor. Yes, he did get a try-out. But, he was told some things that would hamper anyone. If you want the whole story, you can be a man and call me at 727-1430!!! Mayper and his staff are not telling you the whole story because he picked their kicker. Coach Woodard saw Taylor and said that he would offer him something. Then, all of the sudden, Mayper said NO. What's up with that??

[quote name="JJWooten" post="879971" timestamp="1287440239"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74589.msg879824#msg879824 date=1287432816]

[/quote]

Nope, ol' Lamar alum and NFL pro Johnny Fuller.

[quote author=sleepy]If Taylor Trahan wouldn't have screwed around he may have made it.  Coaches gave him 3 different chances.  There is more to that story than everyone is presenting!
[/quote]

Yea, and if he had made those three kicks then Lamar would have lost 26-9. It's still a loss. The offense was non-existent Saturday.

[/quote]

I guess Coach Haynes was before your time.

[quote name="Buzz" post="879984" timestamp="1287441372"]
Just to let you all know, Sleepy, I am Taylor's dad. I DO know what Brian Mayper told Taylor. Yes, he did get a try-out. But, he was told some things that would hamper anyone. If you want the whole story, you can be a man and call me at 727-1430!!! Mayper and his staff are not telling you the whole story because he picked their kicker. Coach Woodard saw Taylor and said that he would offer him something. Then, all of the sudden, Mayper said NO. What's up with that??
[/quote]

What was the reason given for him not to be offered a position on the team? It is obvious you need more than one kicker in college. Look around the country and you will see at least 2 kickers on just about every team in America that includes FBS, FCS, DII, DIII and NAIA teams.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124