Turning bad to good

CraigS

4 years ago we announced the begining of a new Gold team......GT Shockers Gold.

The decision to this was based on several levels, mainly, because that particular year there were only 4 kids from the GT area to sign to play college softball.

As some of you remember, our decision to do this caused quite a stir in the softball world here in the GT. Looking back, it was the best decision we could have made. It not only created another opportunity for players to reach their dream, it made every other organization competitive in the recruiting department.

Im not sure exactly how many kids have comitted to play from all teams combined in the last 3 years,  but what I do know.....its way more than FOUR, (GT Shockers have comitted 24 alone) which makes all the arguing and complaining, belly aching, whinning, and crying......ALL WORTH IT!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Tigers9" post="865496" timestamp="1286200838"]

The decision to this was based on several levels, mainly, because that particular year there were only 4 kids from the GT area to sign to play college softball.

As some of you remember, our decision to do this caused quite a stir in the softball world here in the GT. Looking back, it was the best decision we could have made. It not only created another opportunity for players to reach their dream, [b]it made every other organization competitive in the recruiting department.[/b]

Im not sure exactly how many kids have comitted to play from all teams combined in the last 3 years,  but what I do know.....its way more than FOUR, (GT Shockers have comitted 24 alone) which makes all the arguing and complaining, belly aching, whinning, and crying......ALL WORTH IT!

[/quote]

Not sure if one team did that, but some recognition for sure goes to:

Ragsdale
Weise
Mitchell
Birdwell

These guys have been awesome in helping all the girls get signed (And helping me) no matter what team or Org they play for. All are great teams.

And these guys no longer have kids on these teams ! Thanks for all your help !

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="866067" timestamp="1286243918"]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=73946.msg865496#msg865496 date=1286200838]

As some of you remember, our decision to do this caused quite a stir in the softball world here in the GT. Looking back, it was the best decision we could have made. It not only created another opportunity for players to reach their dream, [b]it made every other organization competitive in the recruiting department.[/b]

Im not sure exactly how many kids have comitted to play from all teams combined in the last 3 years,  but what I do know.....its way more than FOUR, (GT Shockers have comitted 24 alone) which makes all the arguing and complaining, belly aching, whinning, and crying......ALL WORTH IT!

[/quote]

Not sure if one team did that, but some recognition for sure goes to:

Ragsdale
Weise
Mitchell
Birdwell

These guys have been awesome in helping all the girls get signed (And helping me) no matter what team or Org they play for. All are great teams.

And these guys no longer have kids on these teams ! Thanks for all your help !
[/quote]

Good post---nothing against the GTS but it seems that they have to rub themselves.  Its a good organization, yet tends to be self promoting.  Lots of GTS players got good sound fundamentals elsewhere. I do agree that GTS puts lots of emphasis on exposing there players.  But they are not alone.  The names mentioned by BC have had there part in it also.

Thanks to all.

As usual, this is going in the defensive mode........not my intention. If you read carefully, or maybe I should just type slower......the point is that ALL organiazations are doing a great job. The area went from 4 kids in a year (which was rediculas) and now so many more are living their dream.

During that year everyone except GTS was around, the point to that is sometimes when a new kid shows up it makes everyone work harder.

Again I never said those players success came from only us.......I will say (for arguments sake) that NONE of the kids on the original GTS Gold had any contacts when they came.......Jimmie went to work and got all 8 seniors on that team a scholarship.....not teach them how to play. They were already good athletes, heading in the right direction...just didnt have any college contacts or leads or anything....and that information came from those kids and their parents.

SO....rather than take the defense....allow yourselves to be complimented and know the point is the GT area teams have gotten more than FOUR kids a year playing college softball!

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Tigers9" post="866375" timestamp="1286290186"]
[size=12pt]the point is that ALL [s]organiazations[/s] organizations are doing a great job. The area went from 4 kids in a year (which was [s]rediculas[/s] ridiculous) and now so many more are living their dream.

Jimmie went to work and got all 8 seniors on that team a scholarship.....not teach them how to play. They were already good athletes, heading in the right direction.

allow yourselves to be complimented and know the point is the GT area teams have gotten more than FOUR kids a year playing college softball![/size]
[/quote]

Edited not to be self-promoting !

Excellent post !   ;D

Guest bigcat
Johnny T and his wife helped out alot also. They have handed out a bunch of College contact packets, and talked with players on how to be recruited.  Jimmy Weise has worked his tail off , contacting and comunicating with college coaches, for alot of our area girls.

The creation of the GT Shocker organization has gotten a lot of local organizations to be more pro-active as it relates to college recruitment. That's a great thing and because of it a lot more kids from our area are getting a chance to play college ball. But as, has been said by everyone including Craig, a lot of people have gotten on board and because of this our girls are getting their chance. Thanks and Congrats to everyone that has helped. Too many names to name and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Also if talk to anyone who has had a chance to play at the next level, I bet they would be more than willing to pass on what they have learned. It's not complicated, but you can't know what you do not know.

Sorry, but Crush's Recruiting strategy was changed due to talking to several Houston organizations about the way they were doing things. We made the decision then to make some changes. Of course getting some other Coaches in the area on board to help made it alot easier at the time.

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="867242" timestamp="1286392568"]
I guess the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what initiated the change, the fact is a lot of girls are getting opportunities now. It used to not be that way.
[/quote]

That we can all agree on. And its parents like you and Becky helping ALL of the locals out that have made it that much better.

It can be said however it makes everyone feel good, and thats fine. BUT, the facts remain the same, some of these organization have been around A LONG LONG time. Call it what you will, the number of kids playing college softball was almost extinct (not counting Blast Gold) and the rival between old and new caused people to rethink the way things were being done......the end result is the same....alot more kids reaching their dreams.

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="866788" timestamp="1286328049"]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=73946.msg866375#msg866375 date=1286290186]
[size=12pt]the point is that ALL [s]organiazations[/s] organizations are doing a great job. The area went from 4 kids in a year (which was [s]rediculas[/s] ridiculous) and now so many more are living their dream.

Jimmie went to work and got all 8 seniors on that team a scholarship.....not teach them how to play. They were already good athletes, heading in the right direction.

allow yourselves to be complimented and know the point is the GT area teams have gotten more than FOUR kids a year playing college softball![/size]
[/quote]

Excellent post !   ;D
[/quote]

Sorry BC........it wasnt edited for that at all.........it was edited to be written slower and more precise so you and others would get off the defensive and see the point rather than read into it to find something that wasnt there! Good try though.

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Tigers9" post="867934" timestamp="1286473301"]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=73946.msg866788#msg866788 date=1286328049]

[/quote]

Excellent post !   ;D
[/quote]

Sorry BC........it wasnt edited for that at all.........it was edited to be written slower and more precise so you and others would get off the defensive and see the point rather than read into it to find something that wasnt there! Good try though.
[/quote]

Nothing in my original post was meant to be defensive, (maybe you just interepted it that way) maybe go back and reread it.

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="867998" timestamp="1286478301"]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=73946.msg867934#msg867934 date=1286473301]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=73946.msg866788#msg866788 date=1286328049]

[/quote]

Excellent post !   ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nothing in my original post was meant to be defensive, (maybe you just interepted it that way) maybe go back and reread it.
[/quote]

Again, didnt say YOURS was defensive.....the part about me editing due to being self promoting was directed at you, even though you didnt make the original comment. The second part was to CC....he may have changed in the direction of that of Houston Orgs.....but it didnt happen until OC and others were getting competitive pressure....call it timing or whatever.......NOTHING was happening around here until four years ago.....and some orgs have been here for an eternity.....what took them so long. Now this really wasnt meant to get into all of this.....more of a congrats to all area teams.....but if it must get spelled out then so be it!

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Tigers9" post="868054" timestamp="1286482595"]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=73946.msg867998#msg867998 date=1286478301]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=73946.msg867934#msg867934 date=1286473301]

[/quote]

Excellent post !   ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, didnt say YOURS was defensive.....the part about me editing due to being self promoting was directed at you, even though you didnt make the original comment. The second part was to CC....he may have changed in the direction of that of Houston Orgs.....but it didnt happen until OC and others were getting competitive pressure....call it timing or whatever.......NOTHING was happening around here until four years ago.....and some orgs have been here for an eternity.....what took them so long. Now this really wasnt meant to get into all of this.....more of a congrats to all area teams.....but if it must get spelled out then so be it!
[/quote]

Oh Yeah ! My edit, I did think that was a nice touch ! LOL

I do believe there may have been more sign than that (ex. Blast "Pink") signed several, unless those are the ones you are referring to. (I think that was the same year) In any case, Yes it is more organized than the past, Why ? I really dont know. Who were all the 18U teams at the time ?

Blast "Pink"
Crush
Thunder

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="(13)" post="868333" timestamp="1286502741"]
Too bad I have been told to tone it down.  LOL.  I could write a book on this thread
[/quote]

You Scared ! Chicken !  :D

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="868345" timestamp="1286503175"]
[quote author=(13) link=topic=73946.msg868333#msg868333 date=1286502741]
Too bad I have been told to tone it down.  LOL.  I could write a book on this thread
[/quote]

You Scared ! Chicken !  :D
[/quote]

trembling  ;D

Man some of you guys are comical. I don't have daughters so , I may not understand. But I work with someone who does have girls playing therefore I follow sometimes. I just come over from the football forum just to keep up. I got to be honest it is entertaining at times. Some of you need to get a life. Notice I said some not all.

I have noticed one group that gets on here immediately after a tournament and mention how well they did or how high they finished even if another local team finished higher with no mention. There is another group that wants to be the premier organization , one that can compete with some of the better Houston orgs. But in reality I have only seen one group really do that(and i'm talking lately). That team was made up of mostly girls from one town ( yes, it pains me to say my arch rival  ;)). I even remember posts saying it couldn't be done with girls just from one town. Believe me I couldn't pull for them but it was fun watching them prove everyone wrong.

Well anyway , thanks for the entertaing reading. I work days and don't get to see any soap operas. ;) :) It is nice to hear of the increase in girls getting scholarships though , so those of you who volunteer your time should be proud and commended.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder