I Simply Feel Lost

I have an empty feeling in my stomach that I can't shake. The tragic loss of a young QB followed by the untimely death of the grand old leader of my beloved Newton Eagles. Newton's longtime (55+ years) home PA announcer Sam Collins retired just two weeks ago also. I simply feel lost. I have looked forward with great enthusiasm each fall since 1967, when I started playing the game in the seventh grade, to the sounds, sights, and smells of of each football season. My son and I both played for Coach Barbay as well as had every home game called by Sam Collins for both of us. I know the season will continue and there can always be new traditions and other seasons, but right now I just have this empty feeling. I was talking with my son yesterday and we got to wondering how many peoples lives have been touched by these three folks. After I hung up the phone I said a little prayer just thanking God for being given such an opportunity for all these years. The feeling in my stomach will fade I got to believe, just not today.

Champ I can't say I know the way you feel exactly,But I know that feeling..I lost my Mother,A Sister and a Brother in a 3 year span...It's a feeling you can't describe unless you have been there..I know God has reasons that we don't understand somtimes,But still we have to put our faith where the real victory is...In God... I cherish the memories I was blessed with for having them with me..Prayers for Newton,And the Barbay family...

Guest bleed orange
Great post both of you guys. I played against coach Barbay and the Newton Eagles. Many years after I graduated I officiated a subvarsity game in Newton. I talked to coach Barbay, he remembered me and I asked him " coach" how do you win year in year out? His reply was "Keith, we still do things the old school way here in Newton. I will never forget that, he was right. I will miss you coach.

I only met coach Barbay once. I was with a friend in coach's office along with his assistant coaches when they played for the state championship in 2005 I think. He was a good man and an excellent coach. He was going to retire at the end of this year or next. He earned a long retirement but did not get it. He did so much for Newton HS and the community. He will be missed. It just wont seem the same without him being the leader of the Eagles.  I feel so sorry for him and his family. My prayers are with them.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="858915" timestamp="1285592840"]
Great post both of you guys. I played against coach Barbay and the Newton Eagles. Many years after I graduated I officiated a subvarsity game in Newton. I talked to coach Barbay, he remembered me and I asked him " coach" how do you win year in year out? His reply was "Keith, we still do things the old school way here in Newton. I will never forget that, he was right. I will miss you coach.
[/quote]
Old School? In 1968 I was in the 8th grade and had only known Coach Barbay a few days. We were doing leg lifts (the old kind of raising your feet and holding for a 10 count) before practice and just as I raised my legs he stepped up on my stomach with both feet and stood there for 8 counts. I had 7 older brothers and sisters and had mastered the never show fear deal and didn't outside, but I was screaming inside. Lol And the rest is history as they say. :D

Guest incognito123
I had the opportunity to meet Coach Barbay once.  My parents are good friends with his son, Darrell, and his wife, and I played for Darrell at Hull Daisetta.  My parents and I went to the Anahuac vs. Hardin game last season and before the game, we went by the Barbay's house in Anahuac to visit with Melissa, and Coach Barbay and his wife were there.  I suppose Newton was off that week.  They had come down to visit and see Anahuac play.  We sat for about two hours in that living room and listened to Coach talk about football, and I bet he mentioned 15-20 of his former players as he told story after story about his seasons in Newton.  I was awestruck and told my dad when we left that we had just had a two hour conversation with a legend.  It was like talking to Bill Gates about Microsoft, you just knew that everything he said was right and there was no bigger expert on the sport.  He sat one row behind us at the game, and as Anahuac beat Hardin soundly, he critiqued every play, and every call.  He couldn't turn the coach off, even when he was a spectator.  It was wonderful.  Some guys I work with know that I knew him and his son, and they often asked me if I thought that Coach C. Barbay would take it easy on Coach D. Barbay this season as they met up for the first head to head matchup.  My answer was easy, HECK NO!  I said, "He will try to beat the tar out of his son and tell him afterwards, "that's how you do it!!", then go kiss his granddaughters.".  That's just the kind of man he was, and I don't think Darrell would tell you the same thing.  I am saddened that we will never get to see that matchup, but in a way, it is fitting.  Instead of playing Barbay vs. Barbay, you will now get to see two communities (Anahuac and Newton) come together and play FOR Barbay, and I think, no matter the score, everyone will win that night!

Prayers from the Elder familiy go out to all of the Barbay families.

I am quite sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of stories like these about Coach Barbay. I never had the pleasure of meeting him and I count that as a great loss. Many of us have been profoundly touched by coaches in our lives. We learned things that are a part of us for our entire life.

To all of Newton and to the Barbay family in particular our thoughts and prayers go out to you. I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I think I will try to run down my old high school coach and thank him for the impact he had in my life.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder