TFM ranks West Brook, Dayton high in preseason - Baytown Sun

[size=14pt][u][b]TFM ranks West Brook, Dayton high in preseason [/b] [/u] [/size]
[i]By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published June 18, 2010 [/i]

[i]http://baytownsun.com/story/51598[/i]
The road from District 21-5A to the high school football playoffs is always tough for someone not named North Shore High, but this fall, it could be tougher than ever.

And Crosby’s road to a District 19-4A title repeat is predicted to include a traditional roadblock.

That’s according to Texas Football Magazine, in its just released annual preview of high school, college and pro football in the Lone Star State.

TFM has picked not only North Shore but Beaumont West Brook as well to its preseason Top 10 in Class 5A. And Dayton is a No. 13 pick in Class 4A, the only 19-4A team in the magazine’s preseason Top 25.

For the record, 21-5A’s top two teams check in at No. 9 for North Shore, one of its lower predictions in a while, and No. 10 for West Brook.

That’s a lofty ranking for the Beaumont school, but perhaps one that’s late in coming. The Bruins, in their five years under coach Craig Stump, have been one of the more successful teams in the state in the playoffs, having played in 13 post-season games and never failed to reach the second round.

North Shore is the only school in the district with a player — offensive lineman Sedrick Flowers, a University of Texas commit — on its Super Team (first-team).

But West Brook offensive lineman Justin Brock is the district’s lone pick on TFM’s preseason all-state team. Go figure.

And both the preseason picks for 21-5A offensive MVP — quarterback Bruce Reyes — and defensive MVP — linebacker Collin Garrett — are West Brook players.

Worst news for Baytown Sterling in the magazine’s predictions is the fact the Rangers are not among the four teams picked to make this fall’s playoffs. The predicted order of finish by the TFM editors is North Shore first, West Brook second, Port Arthur Memorial third and move-in La Porte fourth. Sterling and Channelview follow.

The magazine’s predicted order of finish in 19-4A has both Goose Creek Memorial and Barbers Hill making the playoffs with former 21-5A member Lee on the outside looking in.

There’s Dayton No. 1, Crosby No. 2, GCM No. 3 and Barbers Hill No. 4, followed by Lee, Galena Park, C.E. King and North Forest in that order.

Crosby is listed as a “dark horse,” in the magazine’s Class 4A preview, meaning a second-straight win over Dayton, or a long playoff run for the Cougars wouldn’t be a surprise.

Dayton defensive lineman Darrian Wright is on the magazine’s preseason all-state team. The preseason 19-4A MVP picks are Crosby quarterback Dominic Merka and Wright.

Newton, which returns 1,700-yard rusher Kelvin Bennett, is ranked No. 2 in Class 3A by TFM. That’s bad news for Anahuac, which is in the same District 10-2A Division I with the Eagles.

The magazine’s predicted order of finish in 10-2A II is Newton No. 1, East Chambers No. 2 and Anahuac No. 3, as the playoff qualifiers; followed by Buna, Woodville, Hardin, Kountze and Warren in that order.

Both East Chambers and Anahuac make the five-team list of Class 2A “dark horses,” so it figures 10-2A II should be one of the state’s top districts. East Chambers quarterback Hank Jones is the Offensive MVP pick with Newton defensive lineman Krishon Seastrunk the Defensive MVP. East Chambers offensive lineman Kylor Weisse is a preseason all-state pick by TFM.

The magazine also annually lists Texas’ top 300 college recruiting prospects and three local players earn “best of the rest” honors at their positions.

At wide receiver, that’s a nod to Sterling’s Chance Nelson. Barbers Hill’s Jeremy Neff is on the offensive lineman list and Wright makes the defensive lineman list for Dayton.

The top three picks for Class 5A are Euless Trinity No. 1, Abilene No. 2 and Katy No. 3. For 4A, it’s Lake Travis at No. 1 picked to four-peat, Aledo at No. 2 and Brenham at No. 3. In Class 3A, Lovejoy is No. 1, Brownwood No. 2 and Celina No. 3.

Classes 2A and A were divided into big school (I) and small school (II) divisions by the UIL this season, also by TFM.

In 2A Division I, top picks are Daingerfield No. 1, Newton No. 2, Littlefield No. 3; in 2A-II it’s Refugio at No. 1, West Rusk No. 2, and Arp No. 3. Class A has Goldthwaite No. 1, Mart No. 2 and Stratford No. 3 in Division I, with Tenaha No. 1, Falls City No. 2 and Springlake-Earth No. 3 in Division II.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124