Jasper vs Bridge City (2 out of 3 set) Predictions

[quote name="bleed orange" post="805263" timestamp="1274745982"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=69950.msg805257#msg805257 date=1274745165]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=69950.msg805246#msg805246 date=1274743193]
Is Jasper young or do they have a senior laden team? BC has done well in 3A but also competed when in 4A. The competition IMO is a little tougher in the golden triangle. We all know BC is young. I don't think that will make a difference. I still say BC wins in 3. Even though I have never seen Jasper play. Trying to get back on topic. Orangefield beat Jasper in the playoffs in 2005 and was the underdog. Of course it was a 1 game series. That does make a difference. The Orangefield kids have benefited from the BC little league.
[/quote]

Jasper has a long string of playoff appearance that date back to their time in 4A also.  They have been beaten by many good teams over the years in the playoffs.  I am sure the competition is tough in the Golden Triangle, but there are several teams in East Texas with the state championships from the Pineywoods.  Carthage, Jasper, Woodville, Colmesneil, San Augustine, and Alto are the schools with championships through the years that I can think of off the top of my head.  I am sure there are others.  Most of those teams aren't what they used to be but it isn't unheard of for teams from the Lakes area to hold their own.
[/quote]

I do know that the teams from the lakes area can hold their own. Their record speaks for itself.  Most of the posters on here have picked Jasper.  I am pulling for BC because according to most posters they are the underdog. Got to love the underdog, plus they are our neighbors. Orangefield and Bridge city have a love-dislike relationship. We pull for them when we don't play them. I am sure you understand, kind of like the Silsbee/Jasper thing. ;D ;D
[/quote]

I never pull for Jasper, unless they're the last team in the area playing. ;) That being said, Go Cards!!!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from a Jasper perspective, it was always sort of intimidating going down to the "Big City" of Beaumont and playing those Golden Triangle teams.  Of course, we always played like an outsider with  something to prove and everyone was against us...  I still have terrible nightmares about playing Nederland in summer league all-stars.  They always got the best of us...  Seems like the talent gap between Jasper/East Texas schools and some of the Golden Triangle teams has closed somewhat.  Of course,  the Lakes Area will never (never say never) produce the really big schools like you have down there.... 

In reference to the 3A vs 4A years, and being competitive etc.... We were competitive in 4A, but maybe not as consistent as some of the other Beaumont teams. 1989, my senior year, we did sweep PNG in the second round of the playoffs.  Sad to say but I can't recall if BC was in our district or not.  We did win their tournament though....  We always respected and admired Coach Young.  Excuse the rambling please...

I will be pulling for Jasper of course.  Hate to see Jasper or BC get knocked out.  Wish they could both make the state tournament and settle it there.... If Alvis is really out for Jasper, they will miss him tremendously.  Could be a difference maker....

[quote name="bleed orange" post="805263" timestamp="1274745982"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=69950.msg805257#msg805257 date=1274745165]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=69950.msg805246#msg805246 date=1274743193]
Is Jasper young or do they have a senior laden team? BC has done well in 3A but also competed when in 4A. The competition IMO is a little tougher in the golden triangle. We all know BC is young. I don't think that will make a difference. I still say BC wins in 3. Even though I have never seen Jasper play. Trying to get back on topic. Orangefield beat Jasper in the playoffs in 2005 and was the underdog. Of course it was a 1 game series. That does make a difference. The Orangefield kids have benefited from the BC little league.
[/quote]

Jasper has a long string of playoff appearance that date back to their time in 4A also.  They have been beaten by many good teams over the years in the playoffs.  I am sure the competition is tough in the Golden Triangle, but there are several teams in East Texas with the state championships from the Pineywoods.  Carthage, Jasper, Woodville, Colmesneil, San Augustine, and Alto are the schools with championships through the years that I can think of off the top of my head.  I am sure there are others.  Most of those teams aren't what they used to be but it isn't unheard of for teams from the Lakes area to hold their own.
[/quote]

I do know that the teams from the lakes area can hold their own. Their record speaks for itself.  Most of the posters on here have picked Jasper.  I am pulling for BC because according to most posters they are the underdog. Got to love the underdog, plus they are our neighbors. Orangefield and Bridge city have a love-dislike relationship. We pull for them when we don't play them. I am sure you understand, kind of like the Silsbee/Jasper thing. ;D ;D
[/quote]

Oh I don't know about BC being the underdog here.  Lots of folks on here from the triangle who think BC will take this one.  It can go either way and there is no clear favorite.

[quote name="injun" post="805082" timestamp="1274714338"]
Hicks and Robertson  are two of my favorites, and both class acts.. How could you not pull for them??
[/quote]

Have to agree with you on those two guys. Has been exciting to watch BC for past 4 years an not ready to send them off just yet. Being just an old geezer who loves baseball and puter illiterate I finally had to say how much I have enjoyed this BC team. What a fine group of young men who play their heart out. I have followed Matt Hicks thru little league and don't think i'll ever see a finer young man and tougher baseball player come from this area again in my lifetime. (I wish I were younger). Heard those two boys really pumped the rest of the team up between last weeks game against Huffman. Hope they do this old man a favor and continue winning. Good luck to BC, you have made this area proud!!!!

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="805295" timestamp="1274754265"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=69950.msg805263#msg805263 date=1274745982]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never pull for Jasper, unless they're the last team in the area playing. ;) That being said, Go Cards!!!!
[/quote]

No I dont understand the love-dislike relationship, only someone NOT from jasper or silsbee would say that!!!! That being said, enjoy your vacation tigers!!!!!

[quote name="Red1" post="805130" timestamp="1274720793"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=69950.msg805082#msg805082 date=1274714338]
Hicks and Robertson  are two of my favorites, and both class acts.. How could you not pull for them??
[/quote]

I am not sure you were referring to my post about having respect for Jasper or not???

Anyway, I am pulling for BC for a host of reasons and yes among them is a lot of respect for Hicks and others on the BC team.  At the same time, I can have respect for Jasper and not know any of their kids, but know that they have always fielded a scrappy team.  All the teams left in Region 3 are capable of winning the whole thing and they all deserve respect.  If BC plays their game and keep the errors low and the bats hot they will advance.
[/quote]Naw Red I know who your pulling for LOL .. I wasn't responding to you, just throwing a comment out there

I just wanted to warn the Bridge City followers that the JASPER HECKLERS will be out in full force!  They looked like the same ones that- Heckled- down at Lamar 4 years ago--only they seem to be young folks mostly out of High School.

They Heckled non-stop at the Lufkin Hudson first game that I attended.

Those hecklers you speak of are the STRIKE ZONE FANS. And yes they are VERY LOUD and VERY PROUD of their Jasper Bulldogs. Most are students in JHS and learned from their older siblings. Some of the better drummers are jv baseball players that even make up some of the chants. The DOGS love them and are used to the noise, even though it may rattle some other teams.

The strike zone fans are definitely going to be there and they are going to play a factor and tick some people off. lol. Thats what they do. They are definitely proud. I just think that Jasper has the better team. The games will be close but Jaspers pitching is pretty good and if it by some chance is bad they have the hitting to fix that problem.

looks likes SETXsports is going to have a live videocast of this game for all of our fans who can't attend. Art Lay and KJAS will have the call. This is depending upon our internet signal in Woodville. If we can get good enough speed we will do this

[quote name="jdawg03" post="805917" timestamp="1274906144"]
looks likes SETXsports is going to have a live videocast of this game for all of our fans who can't attend. Art Lay and KJAS will have the call. This is depending upon our internet signal in Woodville. If we can get good enough speed we will do this
[/quote]

Excellent!

[quote name="T-daddy" post="805915" timestamp="1274905691"]
When you attend a jasper baseball game its obvious that jasper sets the bar for baseball in southeast texas on the field and in the stands....
[/quote]

T-daddy, I am not picking on you with this post. 

This is just my opinion and how I see it.    I like baseball but I don't like to see a bunch of overpaid guys play baseball.  I love to hear both side's fans cheer when their team makes a great play or gets a good hit. I don't know why, but I appreciate a good play in the field by either team and will applaud when they do.  I like to hear the umpire's calls when a animated umpire is calling the game.  I love to see fans from both sides come out to watch and support their teams.  At times, I will hang out on the opposing teams side just to hear their comments on the game.

I don't like horns, whistles and other loud distracting noises at baseball games.  To me, it just doesn't belong.  I know nothing will change because of the way I feel, but I bet there are fans both from Jasper and Bridge City that feel the same way.  I remember the last time Jasper and Bridge City played at Lamar and the crowd (both sides) made a lot of noise.  I found a quieter spot down the left field line more to my comfort zone.

Have any umpires every directed a teams coach to have the fans lower the noise/racket??

My wish is for safe travels for both teams, that they both play their best and show good sportsmanship as they have in the past.

I am also pulling for BC to take the series!!! (this line if for injun!!)

I dont sit with the strike zone either but I love the fact that baseball is supported so strong by the student body in jasper. Look at all the other schools that we play in district or playoffs no other school brings as many kids than jasper. now alot of that is they enjoy "heckeling" but what ever works, it brings a great atmosphere to all the ball games...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder