Hoop Scoop says LU’s Roccaforte on recruiting roll

How can you bring 10 guys in without a LOT of last year's players NOT returning. Custer I think is on academic scholarship as I recall...so then who does that leave? Miles, Harper I hope...who else? What's the max?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="803484" timestamp="1274310077"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=69768.msg803363#msg803363 date=1274287717]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=69768.msg802814#msg802814 date=1274147101]
Terror and katfans are steaming over this class. hehe. Any bets SHSU come in last place this season?
[/quote]

I'll take the bet. No way they finish in last place. NO WAY.

They might not win the league, but I will garuntee they don't have a year like the Cards did this year.
[/quote]Ok, not last place because this conference stinks in BBall. But I bet SHSU have a very bad year
and next few years.
[/quote]

Well, I guess you can have that opinion, but they still have the best post player in the SLC. Sam has seldom had "down" years even if they aren't the top dogs in the SLC. Marlin is gone though, so maybe things will be different...?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="tyree" post="803829" timestamp="1274404460"]
How can you bring 10 guys in without a LOT of last year's players NOT returning. Custer I think is on academic scholarship as I recall...so then who does that leave? Miles, Harper I hope...who else? What's the max?
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself.  I think 13 is the max number of players that can be on a basketball scholarship. 

[quote name="coachacola" post="804004" timestamp="1274454767"]
[quote author=tyree link=topic=69768.msg803829#msg803829 date=1274404460]
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself.  I think 13 is the max number of players that can be on a basketball scholarship. 
[/quote]  The number of guys who actually make it to campus plus returning scholarship players can't exceed 13.  There's no guarantee that all ten will qualify.

Guest coachacola
Here's my guess for next year's roster:

Returnees:
Miles, Harper, Harris, Minor, Brown, Custer, Ebomwonyi

Newcomers:
James, Nelson, Lamb, Adams, Davis, Brazier, Lynch, Kyser

15 players with Custer and ?? not on a basketball scholarship.

Depending on who's actually on the team next fall, will Roc have a completely new starting 5?

Guest mffl
Here's an article from April on Mike James. We may have one of the conference's best players next year in this guy.

Talk about it in the Message Boards
Straight rising to the top.

Eastern Arizona JC 6-foot-2 sophomore guard Mike James is among the best individual talents in America's junior college ranks.
6-foot-2 sophomore, 185-pound guard Mike James toar up the state of Arizona's junior college ranks the past two consecutive seasons, and now it is paying off for him on the recruiting front, as the ultra-talented guard is drawing in several high major programs from the SEC, ACC and Missouri Valley Conferences.

Such schools as Florida State, Auburn, Creighton and Fresno State have quickly began to take serious interest in the sophomore guard.

James is also currently hearing from a long list of schools and has reeled in offers from Portland State, Santa Clara, Northern Colorado, San Diego, UC-Riverside, Moorehead State, Sam Houston State and Louisiana Tech.

And rightfully so, as the star performer flat out got snubbed this season by the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference's (ACCAC's) college coaches, as he led the conference in scoring all season long - only to drop to the conference's second-team All-Conference.

James flat out went off this junior college season, as he went for an eye-popping 25.9 points /per/game, leading the conference in scoring and serving as the conference's best individual talent. While Mesa's Stephen Rogers would take home the Conference's Most Valuable Player Award, the misunderstood James was just coast through the remainder of the junior college season with very little talk about.

James is a misunderstood kid. While he plays with a very edgy style and often times rubs people the wrong way, he simply loves the game of basketball and plays it at a high level. Unlike many other players that are status quo, James has a swagger all his own that sometimes gives fans the wrong impression.

James is now looking to take his game to another level, as he is very interested in playing division-I basketball at the highest level.

"I want to go high major," said James.

A native of Portland, Oregon, where he attended Grant High School, James is high major worthy. Take a look at Mike James and the first thing that comes to mind is just how different he is - different in the way he looks, the way he carries himself and definitely different in the way he plays the game of basketball.

Very few players have James' combination of skill, athleticism and swagger on the basketball court, which makes him very fun to watch. Some people find him to be an enigma, while I just see him as a unique individual.

James is a superb talent that walks to the beat of his own drum. His exploits on the basketball court make him a very attractive college basketball prospect, as he has one of the best natural abilities to score the basketball in America.

James has the ability to run a team as he sees the floor very well and can get the basketball to the open man - almost at will. He can get to anywhere he wants to on the floor and is capable of completing the simple pass to a teammate, or even the flamboyant one when he wants to, just to add a little flare to the game. Either way, he gets the job done.

Offensively, he is a tremendous individual talent, capable of making plays even under insurmountable odds, as he utilizes his athleticism and ability to create off the dribble to get the job done. He is also a very good scorer off the dribble, and is capable of creating his own shot at will. While his shot selection can be questionable at times, James is capable of knocking down several shots in a row in a hurry.

James is at his best in the open floor, where he is able to finish high-flying dunks and finish plays strong at the basket over defenders. James also gets to the free-throw line quite often, as he was the league-leader in free throw attempts in the conference and shot 77.7% from the free-throw line this season.

Defensively, James is capable of being a lock-down defender, as a result of his exceptional lateral quickness and quick hands. He currently ranked 7th in the conference in steals with 1.8 steals per/game.

Look for many more offers to come in this spring, as more schools get out to see this talent perform or hear about his exploits.

James told us that he is currently on pace to graduate this summer, after a couple of summer school classes. He would like to major in Business Management next fall at his desired school of choice.

[quote name="bigred360" post="804210" timestamp="1274484041"]
Here is what a former Lamar assistant SID Drew Lacy (Bearkat 41) thinks of this recruiting class and Lamar fans in general.

http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=327.0
[/quote]It's called be jealous because LU is on its way up in football, basketball, Wbasketball, growth, money, research, and class while
SHSU is going down. 2,000 at a home football game. SHSU might drop football.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="ForeverADog" post="804233" timestamp="1274487525"]
Drew is also on this board and has posted his feelings here as well.
[/quote]

He's also a hypocrite.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="804021" timestamp="1274458478"]
Wesley is gone. 99% sure on that one so that is one player. Also heard some rumors of Garza leaving.
[/quote]

Wesley said that in two weeks he was off for to KU.  He is a fine person and will do well in life.

[quote name="bigredfan2" post="804385" timestamp="1274502942"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=69768.msg804021#msg804021 date=1274458478]
Wesley is gone. 99% sure on that one so that is one player. Also heard some rumors of Garza leaving.
[/quote]

Wesley said that in two weeks he was off for to KU.  He is a fine person and will do well in life.
[/quote]

KU as in Kansas University?  If he can play there he surely should have been a wunderkind at LU.

[quote name="UNLV" post="804223" timestamp="1274486325"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=69768.msg804210#msg804210 date=1274484041]
Here is what a former Lamar assistant SID Drew Lacy (Bearkat 41) thinks of this recruiting class and Lamar fans in general.

http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=327.0
[/quote]It's called be jealous because LU is on its way up in football, basketball, Wbasketball, growth, money, research, and class while
SHSU is going down. 2,000 at a home football game. SHSU might drop football.
[/quote]

Boy are we glad he is gone. Looks like a perfect match for him and Dan Rather State.

Roc has brought in so many good talents in the past, but they never showed up when they wore lu jerseys, he don't know how to use these athletes, wesley is a very good player and was the best athlete on the team this yr, what will you say if he excels in KU??? i wish him all the best!! i tell u what? Roc was so upset when wesley told him he wanted to transfer.

[quote name="biglubaby" post="805802" timestamp="1274892780"]
Roc has brought in so many good talents in the past, but they never showed up when they wore lu jerseys, he don't know how to use these athletes, wesley is a very good player and was the best athlete on the team this yr, what will you say if he excels in KU??? i wish him all the best!! i tell u what? [u]Roc was so upset when wesley told him he wanted to transfer[/u].
[/quote]

How do you know this? I don't really remember Wesley tearing it up last season. Could be wrong, I just don't remember a player on last years team Lamar just could not do without besides Justin Nabors.

That being said, I wish the guy the best in the future.

Wesleys brother (maybe step brother) was a star at Kansas. Langford maybe? I can't remember his last name.

[quote name="biglubaby" post="805802" timestamp="1274892780"]
Roc has brought in so many good talents in the past, but they never showed up when they wore lu jerseys, he don't know how to use these athletes, wesley is a very good player and was the best athlete on the team this yr, what will you say if he excels in KU??? i wish him all the best!! i tell u what? [u]Roc was so upset when wesley told him he wanted to transfer[/u].
[/quote]

Sounds like a Wesley family member! ::)

I had high hopes for Wesley as a tall rangey outside player, but he looked very timid this season when he played. Good Luck at KU!

Reggie Mathis ,Wesley, E.B Davis, the 3 seniors,will be the open scholarships for next year, Garza and Osas are likely to be the next guys to leave, got this info from an inside source. We talked highly about this athletes last yr b4 they got here, and now they are gone, this will be the same song that we will sing next yr.  Something is not right. Why recruit all these talents when you know that your not going to use them???? you can't really tell who is really good while they sit on the bench,wesley really did not got the chance to play, we did not even see Garza and Osas in uniform. some players that were great in this program  the last 2 or 3yrs can't make it in the next level, y'all should know who am talking about, and that should tell you something about this program. I feel bad for Mathis coz he is going to his senoir yr and now he's gone and will definitely loose some credits in class wherever he transfers to. That's pitiful!!

[quote name="biglubaby" post="806342" timestamp="1274986314"]
Reggie Mathis ,Wesley, E.B Davis, the 3 seniors,will be the open scholarships for next year, Garza and Osas are likely to be the next guys to leave, got this info from an inside source. We talked highly about this athletes last yr b4 they got here, and now they are gone, this will be the same song that we will sing next yr.  Something is not right. Why recruit all these talents when you know that your not going to use them???? you can't really tell who is really good while they sit on the bench,wesley really did not got the chance to play, we did not even see Garza and Osas in uniform. some players that were great in this program  the last 2 or 3yrs can't make it in the next level, y'all should know who am talking about, and that should tell you something about this program. I feel bad for Mathis coz he is going to his senoir yr and now he's gone and will definitely loose some credits in class wherever he transfers to. That's pitiful!!
[/quote]  If Garza and Osas leave then it seems unlikely to me that the incoming recruit from their same high school will be here...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics