Will this be the year Silsbee Brings Home The Trophy?

I gotta admit, I'm not sold on Silsbee, yet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for the Tigers to represent 21-3A and show the rest of the state what pressure basketball is!

But I haven't seen Silsbee play up to their full potential, even after 3 games with the Hawks.  If you pressure them, they turn the ball over.  They are still inconsistent at the free throw line (although that was the difference maker last Saturday..... sadly).  And I don't think they have the discipline that is necessary to win a state title.

If Silsbee had the discipline to play up to their full potential and [b][u]talent level[/u][/b], they should have beat Hardin Jefferson by over 20 points.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Fan.  I want to start by saying i am not a Silsbee hater.  I was at the game Saturday and was not impressed by the play of either team.  Silsbee had the better atheletes by far, but appear to lack good discipline.  Some of the coaching moves left me wandering what they were thinking. 

Speaking of coaching, that is the only reason HJ was in the game Saturday.  Coaching can make a big difference. 

I would like for Silsbee to win and show the strength of district 21-3A.  Good Luck Tigers.

The Tigers do need to limit the turnovers but those do happen when a team gets rattled and a lot of ours came when we were rattled in the fourth.  HJ's pressure got to us at that point.  The rest of the time we did fine.  Free throw shooting for the Tigers has been fairly consistent except for the Rudder game.  What has the chance to win these last two games for the Tigers will be our defense  if we can keep pressure on our opponents we will give ourselves a chance to win.  We have played great half court defense most of the year limiting teams good looks.

[quote name="ST413" post="773391" timestamp="1268081181"]
The Tigers do need to limit the turnovers but those do happen when a team gets rattled and a lot of ours came when we were rattled in the fourth.  HJ's pressure got to us at that point.  The rest of the time we did fine.  Free throw shooting for the Tigers has been fairly consistent except for the Rudder game.  What has the chance to win these last two games for the Tigers will be our defense  if we can keep pressure on our opponents we will give ourselves a chance to win.  We have played great half court defense most of the year limiting teams good looks.
[/quote]ST, I hope you're right.  But, even eliminating the string of turnovers, Silsbee was out of their offense for most of the 2nd half.  Admittedly, Silsbee's defense took HJ out of their offense for almost the entire 2nd half as well.

And we all know that offense wins games, but defense wins Championships!!!!!

Good Luck, Tigers!

BTW, I previously mentioned the Silsbee fans and how I enjoyed sitting with them during the game, but there was a guy that I sat next to who is going to the State Tournament this week for [u][b]the 49th straight year[/b][/u]!!!!!!!  Now THAT'S a fan of high school basketball!!!!!  :D

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="773520" timestamp="1268097245"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=66973.msg773391#msg773391 date=1268081181]
[/quote]ST, I hope you're right.  But, even eliminating the string of turnovers, Silsbee was out of their offense for most of the 2nd half.  Admittedly, Silsbee's defense took HJ out of their offense for almost the entire 2nd half as well.

And we all know that offense wins games, but defense wins Championships!!!!!

Good Luck, Tigers!

BTW, I previously mentioned the Silsbee fans and how I enjoyed sitting with them during the game, but there was a guy that I sat next to who is going to the State Tournament this week for [u][b]the 49th straight year[/b][/u]!!!!!!!  Now THAT'S a fan of high school basketball!!!!!  :D
[/quote]
That is definately a fan!!  The Tigers will have their hands full thursday,  we need to correct the things you mention as well by then.  According to the show tonight we won't face near the pressure HJ put on us,  so hopefully the turnovers will notbe a problem.  Free throws well that is a day to day thing we have ben fairly consistent but we have had a few bad games.  Hopefully we won't have any of those problems thursday as we won't have that size advantag we are used to.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="773577" timestamp="1268105706"]
Well, I'm not one to brag, but I will be making my 39th straight state tourney this week. ;D
[/quote]
That just makes you an old aggie haha.  Wish I didn't have to work and could b there the whole tourny.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="773371" timestamp="1268078738"]
I gotta admit, I'm not sold on Silsbee, yet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for the Tigers to represent 21-3A and show the rest of the state what pressure basketball is!

But I haven't seen Silsbee play up to their full potential, even after 3 games with the Hawks.  If you pressure them, they turn the ball over.  They are still inconsistent at the free throw line (although that was the difference maker last Saturday..... sadly).  And I don't think they have the discipline that is necessary to win a state title.

If Silsbee had the discipline to play up to their full potential and [b][u]talent level[/u][/b], they should have beat Hardin Jefferson by over 20 points.
[/quote]

Silsbee undisciplined?  ::)

I guess that speaks volumes of the HJ team with this undisciplined Tiger team beating the very well coached HJ team 4 of the last 6 times these two have met. ;)

I saw the '72 team play and lose to Odessa Ector.  Ector had a quick point guard who danced to the bucket with all sorts of fancy moves.  The Tigers came apart as a result.

The only other time I went was to see the Girls play; I guess against Cleburne.  The girls team was getting all the attention back then.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="773592" timestamp="1268107512"]
I saw the '72 team play and lose to Odessa Ector.  Ector had a quick point guard who danced to the bucket with all sorts of fancy moves.  The Tigers came apart as a result.

The only other time I went was to see the Girls play; I guess against Cleburne.   The girls team was getting all the attention back then.
[/quote]

The girls fell pretty far behind but were picking up ground steadily and just ran out of time. they had destroyed everyone in the playoffs that year.

Silsbee has all the tools to win it all this year.They have size,speed and shooters.I think the key will be the players you don't hear alot about.#3,I believe his name is Gaines should have an opportunity to be a difference maker.Stallworth should also pose some mismatch problems for whoever they face.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="773588" timestamp="1268106879"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=66973.msg773371#msg773371 date=1268078738]

[/quote]

I guess that speaks volumes of the HJ team with this undisciplined Tiger team beating the very well coached HJ team 4 of the last 6 times these two have met. ;)
[/quote]AAW, do you think man for man, HJ had a team that was only 3 points less than Silsbee's?

I mentioned to the Tiger fans around me before the game that, "[i]watching the two teams warming up, I wonder how Silsbee doesn't beat us by 30 points[/i]".  Three of them pointed to the HJ bench and said, "[i]Because we (Silsbee) ain't got him (Sutherland)[/i]".  So evidently, several of your brother Tiger fans feel the same way.  ;)

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="773614" timestamp="1268109693"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=66973.msg773588#msg773588 date=1268106879]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=66973.msg773371#msg773371 date=1268078738]

[/quote]

[/quote]AAW, do you think man for man, HJ had a team that was only 3 points less than Silsbee's?

I mentioned to the Tiger fans around me before the game that, "[i]watching the two teams warming up, I wonder how Silsbee doesn't beat us by 30 points[/i]".  Three of them pointed to the HJ bench and said, "[i]Because we (Silsbee) ain't got him (Sutherland)[/i]".  So evidently, several of your brother Tiger fans feel the same way.  ;)
[/quote]

But that doesn't make them undisciplined.

[quote name="HJfan2" post="773610" timestamp="1268109547"]
SILSBEE WILL NOT WIN STATE. Sorry
[/quote]

Maybe not but they have a great chance that only 1 other area team has.  And either way We Tiger fans will be very proud of the season they have had.  Just like HJ we had many questions coming into this year. No serious outside threat,  replacing a 2 time all state point guard among them.  At the end of the year we have what is probably the  Tiger team  best suited to win state in many many years.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="773618" timestamp="1268109817"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=66973.msg773614#msg773614 date=1268109693]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But that doesn't make them undisciplined.
[/quote]OK, I'm game.

What's a better word for it?

[quote name="ST413" post="773619" timestamp="1268109919"]
[quote author=HJfan2 link=topic=66973.msg773610#msg773610 date=1268109547]
SILSBEE WILL NOT WIN STATE. Sorry
[/quote]

Maybe not but they have a great chance that only 1 other area team has.  And either way We Tiger fans will be very proud of the season they have had.  Just like HJ we had many questions coming into this year. No serious outside threat,  replacing a 2 time all state point guard among them.  At the end of the year we have what is probably the  Tiger team  best suited to win state in many many years.
[/quote]You are absolutely right.

If Silsbee goes home Thursday night, you still have a lot to be proud of (and rightfully so).  But if they hang in there for two more games and bring home the trophy, then all of Southeast Texas (including numerous Hawks fans!  ;)) will be even more proud of you guys!

Go Tigers!  (P.S.  I never thought I would be saying that!  ;))

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="773614" timestamp="1268109693"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Assesing the players man to man so to speak is assessing more of their athleticism which has been discussed many times.  HJ had the best shooter on the court, the best defensive player on the court, and the best true point guard on the court.  We had the best all around player in DC, and the taller players and the most athletic ones.  You put those combinations together and it becomes a good game that could lead to a big margin or a close one depending on fouls rebounds etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine