Some observations of Region III, all classifications

In 5A Region III

Of the 8 teams remaining, 4 of them are Fort Bend schools.

FB Travis
FB Elkins
FB Bush
FB Dulles

Bad thing, Travis plays Elkins and Bush plays Dulles tomorrow night, so two will get eliminated.

Good thing, Fort Bend is guarenteed 2 teams in the regional tourney.

Class 4A Region III

Six of the remaining 8 teams are #1 seeds, other two are #2 seeds. The cream has risen to the top in Region III class 4A with Yates definitely being the cherry.

Class 3A Region III

Only 3 district champs remain out of the 8 teams.(Cleveland, Fairfield and Silsbee)

4 runnerups (Crockett, HJ, Hudson, and Mexia) with WOS being the lone 3rd place team left of any school in all of Region III, all classifications.

21-3A the only district with 3 teams still remaining.

Class 2A Region III

Five #1 seeds left (Arp, Dangerfield, Kountze, New Waverly, Sabine). At least 2 of these top seeds will be eliminated after tomorrow night as Kountze plays New Waverly and Arp plays Dangerfield.

Sabine definitely got the best draw being placed in the upper bracket away from Arp, Dangerfield, Kountze and New waverly.

Class 1A Div. 1 Region IV

Seven of the remaining 8 teams are #1 seeds, including Spurger. The cream is a rising!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="768452" timestamp="1267413200"]
In 5A Region III

FB Travis
FB Elkins
FB Bush
FB Dulles

Bad thing, Travis plays Elkins and Bush plays Dulles tomorrow night, so two will get eliminated.

Class 4A Region III

Six of the remaining 8 teams are #1 seeds, other two are #2 seeds. The cream has risen to the top in Region III class 4A with Yates definitely being the cherry.

Class 3A Region III

Only 3 district champs remain out of the 8 teams.(Cleveland, Fairfield and Silsbee)

4 runnerups (Crockett, HJ, Hudson, and Mexia) with WOS being the lone 3rd place team left of any school in all of Region III, all classifications.

Class 2A Region III

Five #1 seeds left (Arp, Dangerfield, Kountze, New Waverly, Sabine). At least 2 of these top seeds will be eliminated after tomorrow night as Kountze plays New Waverly and Arp plays Dangerfield.

Sabine definitely got the best draw being placed in the upper bracket away from Arp, Dangerfield, Kountze and New waverly.

Seven of the remaining 8 teams are #1 seeds, including Spurger. The cream is a rising!
[/quote]

Good observations AAW.  Dont know about 5A, but i think from 1A-4A, region 3 may be the best region.  4A has Yates, 3A i think has the toughest bracket to go through and whoever makes it will be battle tested.  2A, i think the Kountze-New Waverly winner will be the favorite to win state, and the Kountze-NW side is loaded compared to Sabine's side.  1A-I, this year will be the year Cayuga gets over the hump and wins in dominating fashion.  1A-II, if Slocum can beat Miller Grove, they will be on a collision course with Laneville, with the winner of region 3 being the favorite in state.  I would bet region 3 will produce the most favorites at the state tournament.  Now whether they can follow through is something else.

[quote name="no-look" post="768459" timestamp="1267413719"]
Any third place teams ever make to state tourney?
[/quote]

5A Boys (07-08) - Fort Bend Dulles made it all the way to the State Championship that year losing to Willie Warren led North Crowley.

[font=Courier][u]H-J vs. Cleveland[/u]
If it comes down to coaching, then H-J takes it. If they can weather the scoring runs and hang around until the 4th, then H-J wins. Cleveland wins via blowout, not close games! Most in Reg III say Cleveland won't lose. I heard that about the Colts too.

[u]WO-S vs. Silsbee[/u]
If Silsbee overlooks them, it will be a different outcome.

The last time WO-S made it this far it was 2005-06 when Doug McCarter's Stangs defeated Silsbee in this very round, 62-56, then went on to defeat Madisonville & Coldspring before losing to Carrollton Ranchview in Austin in the state semi's.

Will be interesting to see if WO-S attacks the big guys or stays outside.

[u]Ktz vs. New Waverly[/u]
I think NW has been waiting all season for this...Not Ktz. NW has been No. 1 and they have had to hear about Ktz, despite being the top team. I've seen both several time. I think Kountze is better. Ktz grew up alot beating Silsbee, not just by the win, but the way they won with Devin on the bench with fouls and coming from behind in the 2nd half.

Whoever wins is going to play either Arp or Daingerfield, which are both very athletic.

[u]Anahuac vs. Centerville[/u]
I think Anahuac wins this UNLESS they shoot too many from the outside. An 11-pt win over Houston Yes Prep South whatever was not impressing to me. Anahuac to Region tournament....1st time ever?

[u]Spurger vs. Somerville[/u]
Spurger is banged up pretty good. They aren't missing starters, but some of the starters are playing hurt. Spurger is the better team but do they fight through the pain well enough to win?
[/font]

Good stuff Chad, right on the money.

Trust me, after talking to Travis, Silsbee will not overlook WOS. I really look for them to have a tough game with the Mustangs, but their experience will prevail in the end. Tigers take it, 63-53.

Nothing will ever surprise me about HJ. If they beat Cleveland, it may be an upset in most folks minds, but nothing monumental. HJ definitely has the coaching edge and that goes a very long way.

New Waverly beating Kountze would not surprise me. Coach Billy Goffney has looked at this date all season. He knows exactly what he has to do to win, get Brey on the bench. On the flip side, Duane knows what he has to do, keep Brey on the floor. A part of me wants to go to this game because I think it's the best matchup in the state for the quarterfinal round. I have also gotten to know Billy and Duane much better this year and would really like to see them in action against each other. This should be a great game, with Kountze coming out on top.

I really love this Spurger team. You will not find better kids than what Coach Issacs has there at Spurger. The Pirates starting 5 is as solid as it gets. I really like how these kids play and how they are coached. They are truely a team, no prima donnas here. I think we'll see Spurger in Austin (and I don't mean just for their regional tourney)

Glad to see folks realizing how important coaching is in high school basketball.I've said it for years ,it's no accident that good teams follow good coaches around wherever they go.I said the same thing about the Spurger club all season.The injuries early helped them develope some depth and they are one of the most unselfish clubs you'll see in any classification.I think after tomorrow night we will have Silsbee,HJ,Kountze and Spurger left in the tourney.

[quote name="whsalum" post="768510" timestamp="1267420133"]
Glad to see folks realizing how important coaching is in high school basketball.I've said it for years ,it's no accident that good teams follow good coaches around wherever they go.I said the same thing about the Spurger club all season.The injuries early helped them develope some depth and they are one of the most unselfish clubs you'll see in any classification.I think after tomorrow night we will have Silsbee,HJ,Kountze and Spurger left in the tourney.
[/quote]Good call.........Something I've noticed about HJ is when playing top teams....they seem to get behind early but come on strong the second half.....probally due to coaching adjustments.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="768452" timestamp="1267413200"]
In 5A Region III

FB Travis
FB Elkins
FB Bush
FB Dulles

Class 4A Region III

Class 3A Region III

Class 2A Region III

[/quote]

Mike, well done - this is super stuff.

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="768467" timestamp="1267414570"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=66688.msg768459#msg768459 date=1267413719]
[/quote]

5A Boys (07-08) - Fort Bend Dulles made it all the way to the State Championship that year losing to Willie Warren led North Crowley.
[/quote]

Dulles was district champ or co-champ that year

[quote name="homeless" post="768598" timestamp="1267458437"]
[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=66688.msg768467#msg768467 date=1267414570]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=66688.msg768459#msg768459 date=1267413719]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dulles was district champ or co-champ that year
[/quote]

Please check the UIL site. I vividly remember a story airing on Houston news stations on this team making it to the State Tournament as a 3rd place team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476