Lastmar?

I'm trying to come up with a new name to put on the bag that I wear on my head for the next men's home game.  Any suggestions?  I've come up with a few:  Lastmar, Losemar, Can'tinals, Big Ded,

How about a Who Dat chant?  "Who dat?  Who dat?  Who dat talking 'bout [u]losing [/u] to them Cardinals, who dat!"

"Lastmar to thee we're singing, voices heard on low...."

[quote name="westendfirst" post="763071" timestamp="1266642234"]
I'm trying to come up with a new name to put on the bag that I wear on my head for the next men's home game.  Any suggestions?  I've come up with a few:  Lastmar, Losemar, Can'tinals, Big Ded,

How about a Who Dat chant?  "Who dat?  Who dat?  Who dat talking 'bout [u]losing [/u] to them Cardinals, who dat!"

[/quote]

Or maybe this chant  "We're number 256, we're number 256...."

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm

[quote name="westendfirst" post="763075" timestamp="1266642533"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=66293.msg763071#msg763071 date=1266642234]

[/quote]

Or maybe this chant  "We're number 256, we're number 256...."

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm

[/quote]
263 now...getting worse

[quote name="UNLV" post="767323" timestamp="1267228585"]
Lamar beat Ark st by 21, Ark st is ranked 60 higher than LU.
LU beat Rice and Tulane yet they rank higher. It's all about the Conference.
[/quote]

It's not all about the conference. If we were winning hand over fist and still ranked in the mid to high 100's I would agree. But We have to take some of the blame because our basketball program is just not that good. Swallow your pride and admit it. The Southland Conference is NOT our biggest problem. Probably not even top 5 on the list.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="767643" timestamp="1267246903"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=66293.msg767323#msg767323 date=1267228585]
[/quote]

It's not all about the conference. If we were winning hand over fist and still ranked in the mid to high 100's I would agree. But We have to take some of the blame because our basketball program is just not that good. Swallow your pride and admit it. The Southland Conference is NOT our biggest problem. Probably not even top 5 on the list.
[/quote]A better conference yield better recruits. A better conference get better exposure. The SLC has one ncaa win in the last 10 years. Hang around losers makes you a loser.

[quote name="UNLV" post="767742" timestamp="1267279688"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=66293.msg767643#msg767643 date=1267246903]
[/quote]

[/quote]A better conference yield better recruits. A better conference get better exposure. The SLC has one ncaa win in the last 10 years. Hang around losers makes you a loser.
[/quote]

If you haven't been paying attention, we are the losers holding the others in this conference back. Your words not mine. Your thinking is ridiculous. We are about to miss the conference tourney for the second straight year, unless we get a miracle finish. And your argument is that the "losers" that keep beating us are the ones holding us back?

Why don't you look at budgets and the overall facilities of out athletics programs (Ty Terrell track is the biggest joke in the SLC and is worse than most high school facilities and for the product that had been placed on the field for the tenure of the staff, there is no way Vincent Beck should be as SAD as it is) and you might just realize we are way further behind than many of the "losers" in the SLC. You're so quick to blame everyone else for why Lamar is struggling, but you seem to refuse to place blame on the shoulders that deserve it the most. The admin at Lamar is a joke and thngs are not going to get better until the right decisions are being made all the way across the board and not just for one or two sports.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="768438" timestamp="1267410141"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=66293.msg767742#msg767742 date=1267279688]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you haven't been paying attention, we are the losers holding the others in this conference back. Your words not mine. Your thinking is ridiculous. We are about to miss the conference tourney for the second straight year, unless we get a miracle finish. And your argument is that the "losers" that keep beating us are the ones holding us back?

Why don't you look at budgets and the overall facilities of out athletics programs (Ty Terrell track is the biggest joke in the SLC and is worse than most high school facilities and for the product that had been placed on the field for the tenure of the staff, there is no way Vincent Beck should be as SAD as it is) and you might just realize we are way further behind than many of the "losers" in the SLC. You're so quick to blame everyone else for why Lamar is struggling, but you seem to refuse to place blame on the shoulders that deserve it the most. The admin at Lamar is a joke and thngs are not going to get better until the right decisions are being made all the way across the board and not just for one or two sports.

[/quote]And one of those correct decision would be to move out the SLC.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="Bucof2010" post="768474" timestamp="1267415356"]
Can the college choose to change conference that easily
[/quote]

Obviously it's easier to move down to a crappy conference (like LU did when the moved from the Sun Belt to the Southland) than it is to move to a better one.  Lamar really lost ground in the 90s and they are just now upgrading their athletic facilities.  New $3.8 million soccer field and field house.  $28 million renovations to stadium and field house.  New turf, lockers, indoor hitting facility for baseball with $5 million in upgraded planned for Vincent-Beck.  Softball field is probably next on the list.  Getting all these done takes time and money but that should enable Lamar to jump to a better conference.

[quote name="LumberCard" post="767643" timestamp="1267246903"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are absolutely correct.

[quote name="UNLV" post="768453" timestamp="1267413285"]
[quote author=LumberCard link=topic=66293.msg768438#msg768438 date=1267410141]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe if you recall the downfall started about the same time we decided we were too good for the SLC and we left for the Sun Belt.  Also, it was the same time football was whacked.  We were going to have all these funds to really focus on our awesome basketball team.  It has been one failure after another since then.  Ok, we may have had a fluke season ending run once but other than that...el stinko!  And, yes, we are about to miss the conference tourney. 

Franklin screwed it up for everyone.  Who was after him?  Mclaughlin?  I think Simmons and Tubbs finally have us headed on the right track but they've got 15 plus years of disasters to make up for. 

[quote name="westendfirst" post="768926" timestamp="1267492292"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=66293.msg768453#msg768453 date=1267413285]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe if you recall the downfall started about the same time we decided we were too good for the SLC and we left for the Sun Belt.  Also, it was the same time football was whacked.  We were going to have all these funds to really focus on our awesome basketball team.  It has been one failure after another since then.  Ok, we may have had a fluke season ending run once but other than that...el stinko!  And, yes, we are about to miss the conference tourney. 

Franklin screwed it up for everyone.  Who was after him?  Mclaughlin?  I think Simmons and Tubbs finally have us headed on the right track but they've got 15 plus years of disasters to make up for. 
[/quote]This screwups was not because we left the SLC...Hence La Tech, UNT, ULL, Ark st

[quote name="LumberCard" post="768438" timestamp="1267410141"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This administration has done more for our athletic programs than any other.  There have been a lot of improvements made since Jimmy Simmons took over in 1999.  The main problem is MONEY!!!  We have had some big donations lately and that is  helped.  There is a long "want list" and as money comes available improvements are being made.  Just since Will graduated in 06 Vincent Beck has improved 3 fold.  The field is great, (wish we could finish and do the outfield in turf).  The locker rooms have been totally redone.  The hitting facility will be wonderful - thanks to Henry Strait.  The neglect of our programs in the 80s and 90s cannot be undone in a few years.  Give Jimmy time and our facilities will get up to speed.  But the "admin at Lamar" is far from being a Joke.

Jimmy Simmons has had a great impact on the University, and I believe he is focused on strengthening the athletics programs.
HOWEVER, Billy Tubbs has been an absentee athletic director who appears more interested in his gold handicap than running an athletics program.
The best you could say about him is that he's Laisse fare....
There's very few people in the current athletics administration who are leaders in there field, and there is certainly no clear and realistic goal for the Cardinals as they try to improve the program.

The main problem here is a lack of leadership. Pure, Plain, and Simple.

[quote name="LU Baseball Fan" post="771104" timestamp="1267779127"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This administration has done more for our athletic programs than any other.  There have been a lot of improvements made since Jimmy Simmons took over in 1999.  The main problem is MONEY!!!  We have had some big donations lately and that is  helped.  There is a long "want list" and as money comes available improvements are being made.  Just since Will graduated in 06 Vincent Beck has improved 3 fold.  The field is great, (wish we could finish and do the outfield in turf).  The locker rooms have been totally redone.  The hitting facility will be wonderful - thanks to Henry Strait.  The neglect of our programs in the 80s and 90s cannot be undone in a few years.  Give Jimmy time and our facilities will get up to speed.  But the "admin at Lamar" is far from being a Joke.
[/quote]

Agree.  Don't know about Henry Strait but I agree with what you have to say about the neglect in the 80's and 90's and the great strides made by Jimmy Simmons.

As for basketball, "we're number 279, we're number 279, we're number 279!"

[quote name="westendfirst" post="768926" timestamp="1267492292"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=66293.msg768453#msg768453 date=1267413285]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dr. Bill Franklin was president of Lamar University while George McLaughlin was chancellor of the now non existent Lamar University system. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics