Club Volleyball

I currently live in an area in another state that has enough teams to have large local tournaments. 

With all the club leagues in SE Texas, I have always wondered why local teams couldn't have local tournaments and play each other at somewhere like Lamar or even at local High Schools.  If cost were controlled, more parents could afford these fees.

The teams could then select an allstar team/s to compete in the larger areas of Texas, Louisana or even nationally.

I think this might get more local athletes playing longer which might upgrade VB in SE Texas.  Just my thoughts.

To the best of my knowledge, there are three Club V-Ball organizations in SE Texas.  Unfortunately, that's not enough.  Volleyball pales in comparison to softball and soccer in this area.  The Club teams have to go to Houston to play.  There is no other way.  Occasionally, trips are made to San Antonio, Dallas, & New Orleans to play tournaments, but you can't play any in the Triangle.  Not enough participation.  :(

Not sure of the names of each organization or how many teams each has.  I worked with a club for a while and always thought that one of the reasons for only having limited teams was because of the heavy cost.  I thought that was the reason more opted for softball & soccer.

Many families simply can't afford the fees or the travel cost.  If each league would keep their cost down (ie T Shirts) for local competition, I wouldn't be surprised if SE Texas Club teams doubled in numbers.

After a few weeks of matches/scrimages, Clubs could go back to normal with their allstars.

LCM and Vidor had a "practice team" a few years ago that was charged a very limited fee and never went to out of town matches.

Anyone know how many HS age teams play club ball in SE Texas.  Also do you know the app fees for each club?

Average cost here runs anywhere from $800-$1200 for a season.. You're right, it does prohibit a lot of girls from playing.  In comparison, the girls that play at the Texas Tornado gym in Houston(THE premiere volleyball site in Texas) pay $2000 plus for their membership.

I've wondered the same things you have as far as finding enough teams and players to play all games in this area.  It hasn't happened and it won't anytime soon.  As for softball and soccer, the cost difference is not huge.  Take into account as well that soccer and softball tournaments are frequently 2 days and involve a hotel stay.  Most v-ball tournaments last a morning and mid-afternoon.

[size=16pt]There is OCJ (Orange County Juniors), HCJ (Hardin County Juniors) and JCJ (Jefferson County Juniors).  Not sure about the rest but OCJ has 3, 17 under teams, then 15U, 14U and 12U.  They play in Houston, but practice at the LCM High School.  Our 17U teams have played against JCJ and HCJ in the past.  They might have more in this area, although I'm not sure. [/size]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics