referees

watchdog

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="watchdog" post="751749" timestamp="1264817087"]
Well once again our referees "helped" determine a district game! Way to go refs! Such a shame.
[/quote]

What game you talking about?

[quote name="watchdog" post="751749" timestamp="1264817087"]
Well once again our referees "helped" determine a district game! Way to go refs! Such a shame.
[/quote]

I have known several referees over the years and I have NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER, heard on one ref talking about helping one team win a game.....how absurd........I call BS!

The people I have known do the job for the love of the game and are usually past their "playing days" and want to give something back.

I will agree however, as in any job or profession (including yours if you have one), that there are people that do a better job than others.  So while there may have been officials that you believe would have done a better job in the game you are referring to, you will never make me believe that officials "helped" one team defeat another.

So unless you have specific hard evidence that it occurred, don't complain about it on a board, take it to the UIL.......and have something done about it.

Better yet, why don't you put on a striped shirt and do the job and prevent fellow refs from "helping" another team win a distict game.

I can't stand people that complain about something they have never done nor have the B@!!& to try it....I am sure that UIL or TASO would welcome you.  There always seems to be a shortage of officials

Since I'm not the biggest basketball fan in the world, I started to let this alone but I've got daughters that play (varsity and 8th grade), enjoy watching their games and have seen some good calls, some bad calls and some that it could be said affected the final outcome of the game.
  Now, although there are multiple differences in the sports, I have coached both league and select/travel softball teams for the past 8 years. Local, district, state, regional, A, B, C levels, different associations, and in all of those, too, seen all kinds of officiating. In all those hundreds of games I can say that I have been involved in only one game where I believe an umpire should have recused himself from officiating due to his family relationship with a player but he didn't and it did affect the game. He was behind the plate and the player was a pitcher and his grand-daughter. When it became apparent, the UIC intervened and, to be brief, the issue was resolved the best way possible. I was on the wrong end of that situation and I honestly don't think an intent to help the other team was involved.
  Again, I understand there are differences in each sport but one common thread in the officiating of any sport is that those officials on the court or on the field are all human. They make mistakes, sometimes big ones. Coincidentally to this post, in an effort to improve some of our local league umpiring and also to look into possibly supplementing my income, I attended an ASA umpiring clinic. Believe me, if a person had no interest in the sport, any sport, there is no way they would go through whatever it takes to become certified to officiate that sport. To want to genuinely learn the rules and understand why they are what they are you have to love the sport. It takes strong personal ethics. To put yourself in such a position of individual scrutiny, you must also be a person that can exercise a high level of self-honesty and demonstrate a rare ability to handle sometimes intense personal criticism without allowing it to affect your focus. Officiating on any level is a tough and demanding task. I love my sport and I definitely could always use some extra money but after my brief intro to umpiring, I don't know if I really want to be out there on that island. I do know that this season there won't be many appeals or protests coming from my dugout!
  As I said and was taught, even the best officials make mistakes. When I was playing it was part of the game (it is a game after all) and, on the teams I coach, we treat it that way. Allowing your players or parents to focus on bad calls usually just gives them an excuse to blame somebody else for failing. When you're dealing with young people it can get out of hand in a hurry. Instead of accepting that mistakes will happen and learning to overcome adversity, an attitude of "Once again," can develop.
  Didn't mean to ramble, just some of my two-cent thoughts.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476