Lamar men @ Sam Houston/ Lamar loses 90-63!

[quote name="coachacola" post="750849" timestamp="1264687507"]
I think another reason why Roc was hired because he was a local guy so they didn't have to pay him as much.  I think it's time for LU to pony up the money and pay for a good coach.  Maybe some of the big wig boosters need to put their money where their mouth is and help pay for someone who can win at Lamar.
[/quote]

Glad to see that someone else is thinking what I am thinking!!!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="750646" timestamp="1264643530"]
Turnovers kills us
[/quote]
SHSU had 19 TO's and LU had 18...Not what killed LU and not what has killed LU away from home this year. This is what kills LU:

SHSU Shooting Percentage : 53%      3pt Percentage: 55%
LU Shooting Percentage:      36%      3pt Percentage: 25%

Two things here
1. LU is a horrible shooting team, especially from downtown.
2. Opponents get way too many shots from inside 10 feet.

Also...Where has Charlie Harper gone?? If there is a Charlie Harper sighting, please let him know it's SLC time!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="750837" timestamp="1264684159"]
Oh how naive MFFL!!!!!!  You only see what you want to see!!!!  ROC was only as successful at Memphis as he was because of Calipari!!!!!  If Calipari was at LU and ROC was the Assistant than LU would get some good kids and be competitive.  Those kids went to Memphis because it was Memphis and because of Calipari........NOT BECAUSE OF ROC!!!!!!  He has brought in AVERAGE talent at best in his 7-8 years!!!!!  If he was "a great recruiter" then the best in SE Texas would go to school at LU........that is NOT HAPPENING!!!  Gets more and more disappointing as each year goes by.......time for a change.  You know me......I am at every game........not anymore!!!!  I have missed a half dozen home games because I am tired of hearing the ignorance that goes on down on that bench!!!!!  Time to clean house and hire from OUTSIDE of the University!!!  If TUBBS is so great then he should be able to lie enough to a coach and get them to come to Lamar!!!!
[/quote]

I agree he has done nothing special while he has been here, but you can't say you didn't agree with the hire whenever Roc was introduced as coach a couple years back. On paper, it looked like a good one, no would could disagree with that. I wouldn't blame Tubbs for Roc's lack of success. Tubbs has made one good hire in the bball program at LU, and thats hiring Tidwell!

[quote name="baseball25" post="750905" timestamp="1264695093"]
bring in TIM FLOYD.......
[/quote]omg...you've got to be kidding me. you'd have to wear boots to the games to walk thru the slime. now, penders...you may be on to something. tubbs is fine. when he turned the team over to roc, it seemed like a good move at the time. maybe it's time to rethink that. tubbs is a very capable ad.

Guest coachacola
I think Roc thought he would bring in a bunch of JUCOs the first few years, win the conference right away, then build on that success by bringing in good HS players.  That plan almost worked because 2 years ago they won 19 games and was a top seed in the SLC tourney.  The top players that year were all JUCOs: Jay Brown, Darren Hopkins, Justin Nabors, Lamar Sanders, Kenny Dawkins and Currye Todd.  Only Barrow, Nwevo and Custer were recruited out of HS.

But Roc has failed on the second part.  He hasn't been able to bring in great HS talent.  Miles is the exception, and he's probably exceeded everyone's expectations.  Harper and Custer have been ok, while Donley and Stan Brown have shown some promise.  Next year's class will be all freshmen, so we'll see how good these guys are.  I still say Tubbs will give Roc a chance to prove himself with these young players.  If there's no improvement next year I bet he's gone.

I wish we had Tidwell for the guys coach.  He is so different form Roc in the way he coaches, treats his players, the refs, and   the public.  My friend and I went to one of his pre season practices to see Plumery and Kalis.  He came over and talked to us, explained his expectations and give us a rundown of all the players.   We were standing at the entrance  of the gym and he pulled two chairs up to mid court and motioned us over to sit.  It may have been an act but I came away with the feeling he is a class act.  Roc will run you out of the gym.  One thing I truely hate about the arrogant Roc is the way he talks to Dave during the after game interviews.  Dave has done 900 games and he doesn't need Roc's smart*** arrogant comments.  

[quote name="woodman" post="751067" timestamp="1264711196"]
 I wish we had Tidwell for the guys coach.  He is so different form Roc in the way he coaches, treats his players, the refs, and   the public.  My friend and I went to one of his pre season practices to see Plumery and Kalis.  He came over and talked to us, explained his expectations and give us a rundown of all the players.   We were standing at the entrance  of the gym and he pulled two chairs up to mid court and motioned us over to sit.  It may have been an act but I came away with the feeling he is a class act.  Roc will run you out of the gym.  [b]One thing I truely hate about the arrogant Roc is the way he talks to Dave during the after game interviews.  Dave has done 900 games and he doesn't need Roc's smart*** arrogant comments.  [/b] [/quote]

BINGO!!!!

Dave truely deserves more respect than what Roc gives him in those interviews.

penders would be awesome if he would come. roc seems to like "looking" the part of coach as much as being the coach. dave h definitely deserves respect for the work he does. i've seen him lugging around the camera at kids swim meets to get his own footage. he really seems to love what he does and does a great job. don't do anything with tidwell. leave him where he is. he sure seems to have the team on the up. he sure doesn't look like a great coach or a motivated teacher, but looks are deceiving. i think he may turn out to be one of the best girl's coaches lamar has had. lamar needs to lock him down.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="750989" timestamp="1264702756"]
[quote author=LUFAN link=topic=65289.msg750985#msg750985 date=1264702106]
BILLY GILLISPIE....  
[/quote]

There is not enough "nite life" here in Beaumont. ;) ;D
[/quote]I'll give $$$$ to the person who can guess what famous coach attended  & played ball at the same school with  Da Dove way-yy back in the day. HE didn't always have a "nite life."

[quote name="LUFAN" post="750985" timestamp="1264702106"]
BILLY GILLISPIE....   
[/quote]

THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!! He needs to get some redemption, his mojo back, if you will.

He turned UTEP and A&M from the worst to the best in very little. His defensive style is awesome to watch... I'll throw in 100$ to get him here haha.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed