3000 season tickets sold so far

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
[quote]Lamar University has sold roughly 3,000 season tickets for the 2010 football season and enough season parking passes to fill multiple lots, LU ticket manager Landon Delage said Tuesday.

LU put season football tickets on sale to the general public Saturday, two days after the school made tickets available to all Cardinal Club members.

The school sold roughly 1,000 season tickets Saturday. The upcoming season is LU's first football season since the school disbanded the program after the 1989 season.

Two parking lots are also sold out, Delage said. The lots south of the stadium and closest to the stadium across MLK Parkway are sold out, Delage said. Spaces remain in the lots north of the Montagne Center and in additional lots across MLK.

Roughly 200 of approximately 1,300 seats in the stadium's gold section -- chair-backed seats on the press box side between the 30-yard lines -- remain. Parking spaces in the two rows closest to the Montagne Center can be purchased in groups of four for $500, Delage said.

About 3,500 seats at the stadium that is now projected to seat as many as 16,000 are also reserved for LU students and band members, Delage said.[/quote]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/lamar_football_ticket_sales_continue.html

1100 gold seats sold at $400 each = $440,000
1900 other seats sold at approx. $100 each = $190,000

That's about $630,000 not counting parking spaces sold.

Not too bad for early on, although I admit I was hoping for a little more of a crowd Saturday.

Anybody know what it costs to run a program year-over-year at FCS level?  I've seen numbers as low as $1M and high as $4.5M.  I'm hoping we'll get to 5,000 season tickets minimum before the season--It'd be great if they had $1M "in the bank" before the sell any walk-off tickets, sell any merchandise, or anything else.

I'm also curious as to how much more cash the Cardinal Club will pull in.  As I'm not an alumni, I'd never given, even though I've been a basketball season ticket holder since '96.  For football, I did give to be able to get some Big Red section seats, and I can't imagine I'm alone.  Should be another nice boost for the University.

Not bad at all!!!!!!!!  I hope they get close to doubling that by the beginning of football season as well..........I do however find it hard to believe that there will be 12-13,000 at every game........I just do not see 7-8,000 individual game tickets being sold for each game!!!!!!!!  Hope I am wrong!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="749979" timestamp="1264551957"]
Not bad at all!!!!!!!!  I hope they get close to doubling that by the beginning of football season as well..........I do however find it hard to believe that there will be 12-13,000 at every game........I just do not see 7-8,000 individual game tickets being sold for each game!!!!!!!!  Hope I am wrong!!!
[/quote]

I think there will be about 7-8k season tickets, about 4-5k students and probably 3-4k walksup, a sell out the first game no doubt!

[quote name="mffl" post="749986" timestamp="1264552392"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=65236.msg749979#msg749979 date=1264551957]
[/quote]

I think there will be about 7-8k season tickets, about 4-5k students and probably 3-4k walksup, a sell out the first game no doubt!
[/quote]I agree with these numbers.

The old stadium seated 17,500 per all the info that was put out in years past.  Why the drop of 1,500?  Only explanation is that the chairback section is expanded to the point that it eliminated that many but that sounds way to high.  16,000 will not get any CUSA schools to come play.  Maybe a Sun Belt school will come.  I hope they expand it after the second season.  Haven't got my tickets yet but I am in.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="750061" timestamp="1264560971"]
The old stadium seated 17,500 per all the info that was put out in years past.  Why the drop of 1,500?  Only explanation is that the chairback section is expanded to the point that it eliminated that many but that sounds way to high.  16,000 will not get any CUSA schools to come play.  Maybe a Sun Belt school will come.  I hope they expand it after the second season.  Haven't got my tickets yet but I am in.[/quote]

Per Sun Belt rules - they can not play at Football Championship Subdivision schools. I believe C-USA has the same policy.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="750061" timestamp="1264560971"]
The old stadium seated 17,500 per all the info that was put out in years past.  Why the drop of 1,500?  Only explanation is that the chairback section is expanded to the point that it eliminated that many but that sounds way to high.  16,000 will not get any CUSA schools to come play.  Maybe a Sun Belt school will come.  I hope they expand it after the second season.  Haven't got my tickets yet but I am in.
[/quote]

I think they had to reduce seating due to new regulations for the handicap.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="750147" timestamp="1264564827"]Isn't South Alabama coming to Beaumont?  Maybe the SBC rule doesn't apply to a provisional school like USA.[/quote]

South Alabama is going to several FCS schools. Those deals come to an end the year they enter the Sun Belt Conference. If you check out USA's scheduling, there's a "change of pace" as they get older.

Some of the programs that 'buy' visits by the Jaguars for now have home-and-home deals once they become FBS.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="TexasTerror" post="750237" timestamp="1264597404"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=65236.msg750147#msg750147 date=1264564827]Isn't South Alabama coming to Beaumont?  Maybe the SBC rule doesn't apply to a provisional school like USA.[/quote]

South Alabama is going to several FCS schools. Those deals come to an end the year they enter the Sun Belt Conference. If you check out USA's scheduling, there's a "change of pace" as they get older.

Some of the programs that 'buy' visits by the Jaguars for now have home-and-home deals once they become FBS.
[/quote]

That's probably part of the reason why Texas State, UTSA, LU, and others talk about going FBS.  Outside of the SWAC, there's very few FCS teams nearby that have a "name" that will draw fans.  The Sun Belt teams are getting some SEC teams to play at their stadiums.  South Alabama is getting Navy at home in a few years.  LU could easily draw 30K+ for that type of game if they had the stadium that size.

Well in another thread it said tubbs has blue prints to expand it to 35000 so its possible. Lamar is slowly trying to build and save up to being that much. But we have to get a nice constant fan base first and start winning some games! Plus its still 8 months till the season starts! We have plenty of time to sell more tickets!

Guest HFGirlsSportsFan
I hope this works out.  I am an LU grad and was there at the end of football at Lamar.  During the final loosing seasons we were lucky to see 1500 people in the stands and that included the band.  Max attendance at the beginning of the season was 8000 max.  Competitiveness will go a long way to boosting attendance.  We will see how it goes.

The attendance #'s listed from that last losing season (1988) was:
vs West TX Stat:                  962  (in a monsoon)
vs Southwest Texas State:  8,114
vs Alcorn State:                4,484
vs Mississippi College:          7,243
- only 4 home games -

Guest coachacola
[quote name="smith" post="750655" timestamp="1264644677"]
The attendance #'s listed from that last losing season (1988) was:
vs West TX Stat:                  962  (in a monsoon)
vs Southwest Texas State:  8,114
vs Alcorn State:                 4,484
vs Mississippi College:          7,243
- only 4 home games -
[/quote]

That was 5200 per game.  Here's what the SLC averaged this past season:

McNeese - 12948
Texas State - 12249
SFA - 11111
UCA - 8571
NW State - 6642
SELA - 5592
Nicholls - 5498
SHSU - 5370

As far as attendance goes, the bar isn't very high in the SLC.

yeah, for the 1989 season, I remember in an Enterprise Rush Wood article that that season average was 6,000 per home game.
If you look back pre-Div1aa some of the home attendance records were
18,500 1980 vs Baylor
17,600 1979 vs La Tech
17,250 1979 vs West Texas State
17,222 1977 vs SW Louisiana
17,050 1981 vs Southwest Texas
and about 5 others above 16,000

Sometime, not too long ago, somebody posted the national FCS attendance averages for all FCS teams.  I remember thinking that LU's 1989 average of 6000 fell around the 50th percentile from last seasons FCS averages.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

[quote name="smith" post="750791" timestamp="1264654504"]
Sometime, not too long ago, somebody posted the national FCS attendance averages for all FCS teams.  I remember thinking that LU's 1989 average of 6000 fell around the 50th percentile from last seasons FCS averages.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf
[/quote]
Good thing the old LU board of regents aren't over those schools!  That's a LOT of schools that they would have to kill football  ;D

[quote name="mffl" post="749986" timestamp="1264552392"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=65236.msg749979#msg749979 date=1264551957]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think we will likely sell out the first game.  However, there is no way we will sell 7-8 thousand season tickets.  And there is NO WAY 4-5k sutdents will attend.  Sorry, excluding the fraternities/sororities and the Friends of India, the LU kids are pathetic when it comes to school spirit and supporting  athletics.

[quote name="smith" post="750778" timestamp="1264652766"]
yeah, for the 1989 season, I remember in an Enterprise Rush Wood article that that season average was 6,000 per home game.
If you look back pre-Div1aa some of the home attendance records were
18,500 1980 vs Baylor
17,600 1979 vs La Tech
17,250 1979 vs West Texas State
17,222 1977 vs SW Louisiana
17,050 1981 vs Southwest Texas
and about 5 others above 16,000
[/quote]Hint Hint Lamar.

[quote name="jhamilton" post="752328" timestamp="1264903548"]
Is the lack of support bc Lamar is a comuter school?
[/quote]

Yeah. I don't go there, but like many students my age I have a lot of friends that do. None of them attend any basketball games or any other sport, I don't know why they don't. At my school, every student is at every game for every sport. I know this will change with football, but basketball will still be left hanging. Baseball usually draws a decent amount of students.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder