Tarkington vs. Huffman predictions

ok seriously, the horns are at the crossroads. finally completely unwound, i can't imagine they could get any lower than this. huffman wins by 9. as the song goes maybe "you got to lose to know how to win". not that huffman was just terrible, they weren't, but they were 3-17 for a reason (2 of those against a to date winless caney creek team), they are beatable by a reasonably sound basketball team.

[b]the horns have gone from a pre season potential cinderella to the ugly sister cousin date to the ball.[/b] you could play this whole thing off as one bad game but unless you've lived under a rock around here you could see this one coming. one could play the "don't get down on the kids" card all day, but these are young men, they're old enough to recognize and deal with adversity and they're not babies, they understand theres a problem. it not entirely their fault, or the coaches, or the system, or the parents or fans or referees for gosh sake. it's everybody's fault, but we'll leave the ref's out of it cuz well lets face it, you just never know how that's gonna work out  ;D .

it will take some serious introspection by all principles involved to stir this listing bovine, simply put it starts with ME, no matter who i am in that sphere of influence. it's not pompous rhetoric or some new magic formula, its the age old corny and childishly obvious "team before me" philosophy, it seems silly to even have to reference something that should be so painfully obvious here. but whether you're a coach who believes steadfastly in your diagrams or the player that dreams of being the game changer, or the fan who coaches from the cheap seats (and now that's gotten to the point of a small few that would call for the heads of the coaches and any players they don't deem worthy and not very privately-[b]and hey guys, don't listen to that racket[/b]) the turnaround starts with the guy in the mirror.

SIDENOTE:UKCats I apologize for my defensive nature over your comments about the fans last week-since then I've seen some of the behavior you must have been referring to-i do have my reasons but we'll discuss those in pm or person if needed.

its been said this is the most talent ttown has seen in awhile, i don't know about that it may be true but i believe this-winning teams that can play competitively with [b]whoever[/b] they face are not usually rooted in sheer talent alone (look at last years cowboys  :o ). its the guy who makes somebody else better, maybe even "better" than ones self that is the true game changer and it snowballs from there. with all due respect to those (maybe all 14) who may undoubtedly be offended if they read this, tonights game made it painfully obvious that there is no one man show in ttown in any aspect of the game. even a win pulled out of that cataclysm would have been ugly (reference the shepherd game).

i've seen these "kids" play and every single one of them does something well and every single one has shortcomings (no surprise announcement there). but whether it's scoring, making sure somebody else scores or at least has the opportunity, making sure the other team doesn't, or cheering for the whole team no matter what 5 pair of shoes hit the floor, it's all important whether you're coaching, playing or fanning. sure it's the coaches job to oversee that operation but that's a complicated business and where the rubber meets the road each principle (including but not limited to the guys who actually PLAY) has to decide what they're willing to [i][b]give up[/b][/i] and adapt to make it happen for his fellow, and ultimately the team. this ain't hippie love peace and hope talk, its tried and true philosophy that works, it may even involve a leap of faith but i put this question to you, what do i have to lose? and it ain't about who i eat lunch with or sit with or who i like or don't like or making a point it's about [b]BASKETBALL[/b]. everybody starts acting that way and things will get a whole lot better in cattle country because they DO have a fine talent pool.

i should emphasize that i'm not bashing anybody, the coaches (it's a tough job), their system, or players (maybe a few fans a little  8) ) adaptability is key, when it works, use it, when it don't, lose it, that's true of life and basketball. whatever the horns have got now ain't working as a whole (crown me mr. obvious).

the good news is that in these coals of adversity, champions, however you define that, [i]can[/i] be be forged, it's entirely up to them whether they wither into their individual elements or meld into a solid representation and finish this strong. maybe then we'll see if you really have to lose to know how to win, and whether or not they'll help each other float or ALL go down together. it seems pretty darn simple to me. am i missing something?

Every season always has a gut check time.  Perhaps ours was in the massacre against Cleveland.  It is easy to lose one's confidence after such a beatdown.  I would hope that after seeing Coldspring do no better our boys realized that Cleveland is in another category altogether.  I feel like after this unexpected lose to Huffman now is the time to see if these young men can realize that it is never too late to give ones best and put the team before the individual.  Don't listen to the grumbling from the stands.  A team will never accomplish anything trying to serve two masters.  Have confidence in what your are trying to do and execute!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder