Suggestions for mercy rule

Baseball has a run rule. I've heard 6man football has a mercy rule.

Since all the talk is about Yates beating Lee by so much and what they should have done. What is your suggestion for a rule to help keep coaches out of these situations on how to pull the "dogs" off but yet keep their kids playing hard.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="kosmo" post="739960" timestamp="1262892991"]
When you are up 100-12 at halftime you must play four corners the rest of the game.
[/quote]

Now you are advocating some sort of government interference in high school basketball games?
If thats the case, are we also going to create a rule that kids getting A's should not be allowed to do so while some kids are failing?

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="739967" timestamp="1262893537"]
If your not good and you play a good teaam you better work hard or you will get blown out.
[/quote]

I like yern!!!!

You guys are trying to get the goverments hands in everything, just like Obama!!!  I thought this was good ole' Conservative Republican country!

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="formercaveman" post="739982" timestamp="1262894546"]
what would "x" be and when?

[/quote]

That would be the difficult question. Really it is the same question that is being asked all over right now. "how much is enough and how much is too much?" Do you start it at 40 points? 50 points? 30 points? Just when do you say it's hopeless and let's just hurry up and get this over with?

The main benefit that I could see in a rule like this is that the game would be completed and all players could play as hard as they want but it would simply not allow enough time to get to the astronomical numbers.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="shorttexas1" post="740005" timestamp="1262895321"]
Honestly it is MORE embarrassing to have your game stopped for MERCY than to compete until the clock reads 00:00!
[/quote]

This is true. I know baseball teams will play extra hard to try and avoid having the game halted. That's why a running clock is better. The game is not stopped, it's just accellerated.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="bullets13" post="740042" timestamp="1262898204"]
anytime you're down more then 40 in the 2nd half, it goes to a running clock.  that's an insurmountable lead, but it's not so much that it's too embarrassing, and a running clock would keep the things under a little more control. 
[/quote]

Although I am not in favor of what you are discussing, my belief is that instead of an absolute point amount, it ought to be on a relative basis such as  some percentage relationship between winner and loser.  Perhaps a game that is at 30-0 would be looked at differently than one that was at 90-60.

I still dont understand why this is a conversation. This was hilarious to a few of you when it was WOS doing it not so long ago in football. It's part of sports somone is going to win and somone is going to lose and a few blowouts are going to happen along the way. For those of you constantly saying athletics are for teaching athletes about life think of this. When your having a rough time lost your job your woman left and took the kids and the dog no one is guaranteed to come bail you out.

[quote name="SgtRey" post="740152" timestamp="1262911513"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=64480.msg740151#msg740151 date=1262911455]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=64480.msg740150#msg740150 date=1262911393]
Mercy Rule:

If your scared of a butt whippin, keep your [s]team[/s] [b]BUTT[/b] home.
[/quote]
[/quote]
OOPS, thanx
[/quote]

No problem  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics