19-4A Standings

As of 2/3:

Barbers Hill        12-0  (secured 1st place)
Kingwood Park   10-2  (secured 2nd place)
Dayton             7-5    (Crosby and BH remaining)
CE King             7-5    (NF and KP remaining)
GC Memorial      6-6    (BH and Galena Park remaining)
Crosby              4-8
North Forest      3-9
Galena Park       0-12

Thank you Dave Rogers for getting the correct CEK record...Chronicle is wrong!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="HillGuy" post="739303" timestamp="1262792948"]
As of 1/6:

Barbers Hill        4-0
Kingwood Park   4-0
GC Memorial      2-2
Dayton             2-2
CE King             2-2
North Forest      1-3
Crosby              1-3
Galena Park       0-4
[/quote]

Team effort lifts BH over Panthers
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published January 9, 2010
MONT BELVIEU — Kingwood Park wanted to sneak out of Barbers Hill’s Field House with a win Friday night.

Unfortunately for the Panthers, there was no escaping the long arms and lightning quick hands of Shannon Evans, who joined teammate Kendall Shaw to trap Panther forward Larla Brown with time winding down.

When Brown tried to pass over Shaw and Evans, it was left to Eagle guard Jenna Silva to come from nowhere and cradle the ball to secure a 60-59 win for Barbers Hill in the District 19-4A first-place showdown.

The sneaky Silva had materialized all by herself on the previous play, taking a pass and banking in an 8-foot jumper with 12 seconds left for the game-winning basket.

That gave her four points on the night.

“It’s what we’ve talked about all year long; everybody has to be ready to make a play,” Eagles coach John Chancellor said after his team improved to 5-0 in district, 18-4 overall.

“Jenna was sitting on the bench. Then she comes off the bench and makes the plays. She made the spark we needed.”

Brown was top gun for the night, scoring 20 points for a 4-1 Kingwood Park squad coached by former BH coach Angela Gober.

Jasmine Carter drilled jumper after jumper to lead the Eagles with 17 points. Evans finished with 16 points and seven steals and Shaw, the 6-foot-4 sophomore, rebounded from shaky free-throw shooting to finish with 13 points and seven rebounds.

Seven steals for Evans seems an understatement. She and teammate Carli Manchaca non-stop pestered the Kingwood Park ball-handlers out front and helped keep the score low in the first half.

Carter’s catch-and-shoot bucket, coming on an inbounds play with 0.5 seconds left in the second quarter, made it a 24-all deadlock at halftime.

Three straight jumpers by Carter and a Shaw bucket set up by an Evans pass gave Barbers Hill a five-point, 33-28, lead midway through the third.

But Kingwood Park caught up and led 39-35 after three periods, taking advantage of some Hack-a-Shaq fouls on Shaw, who missed eight free throws in a row at one point.

But the Eagles came back at the start of the fourth. Evans went backdoor on a pass from Silva and Shaw scored on a lob to tie it up.

Shaw found her stroke at the charity stripe and her two free throws put Barbers Hill up 41-39 with 4:47 left to play.

Kingwood Park rebounded from a five-minute scoreless funk and finished strong in the final four minutes of the game, tying the game at 58-all on Jazmyn Johnson’s 3-pointer with 26 seconds to play.

It turned into a four-point play when Shaw was called for a foul on the long shot and Johnson’s free throw allowed her to score her 16th point of the game and put the Panthers up 59-58.

“Kingwood Park is a very good team,” Chancellor said, “and this was the kind of game I expected. It was a great tester and our girls showed a lot of character.

“This is the kind of thing you build upon.”

[quote name="homeless" post="740214" timestamp="1262916517"]
This will be a no surprises district race. Only question is if Kingwood Park can upset BH at home later this season before finishing 2nd to a VERY good BH team. The other teams are weak to very weak. [i][b]Even GCM might get a playoff game this yr[/b][/i].
[/quote]

Does GCM have a Senior Class. I know we played them either last year or the year before and I don't think they had a Senior Class at that time.

[quote name="shackbully" post="741705" timestamp="1263141500"]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=64429.msg740214#msg740214 date=1262916517]
This will be a no surprises district race. Only question is if Kingwood Park can upset BH at home later this season before finishing 2nd to a VERY good BH team. The other teams are weak to very weak. [i][b]Even GCM might get a playoff game this yr[/b][/i].
[/quote]

Does GCM have a Senior Class. I know we played them either last year or the year before and I don't think they had a Senior Class at that time.
[/quote]

Yes, this is their first year to have a senior class (as well as K-Park).

[quote name="HillGuy" post="741725" timestamp="1263145056"]
[quote author=shackbully link=topic=64429.msg741705#msg741705 date=1263141500]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That in itself should help make them more competetive.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="shackbully" post="741746" timestamp="1263147805"]
[quote author=HillGuy link=topic=64429.msg741725#msg741725 date=1263145056]
[quote author=shackbully link=topic=64429.msg741705#msg741705 date=1263141500]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That in itself should help make them more competetive.
[/quote]

GCM will hand the Hill their first district loss on Tuesday. KP can thank us later.

That would be a bigger upset than the football game, but girls can dream I suppose  ;D

Noticed several of the Lady Pats came to watch BH during the Classic.  One of them had a "Barbers Who?" shirt on...now THAT was funny.  You know you have an envied program when people start making shirts like that!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="HillGuy" post="742159" timestamp="1263231336"]
That would be a bigger upset than the football game, but girls can dream I suppose  ;D

Noticed several of the Lady Pats came to watch BH during the Classic.  One of them had a "Barbers Who?" shirt on...now THAT was funny.  You know you have an envied program when people start making shirts like that!
[/quote]

I have always stated that BH has the type of athletic program that is to be envied. No doubt!

The football game was not an upset. It was a domination! The first baseball game last year was an upset.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Full Nelson" post="742279" timestamp="1263242178"]
I thought the officiating was weak, I think you should put your best officials in games like these. Coach Gober should wonder!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I will be a "guest" referee at the BH/GCM game on Tuesday. Shaw will never survive the first quarter. I'll "T" up her dad too. ;D

[quote name="GCMPats" post="742283" timestamp="1263242376"]
[quote author=Full Nelson link=topic=64429.msg742279#msg742279 date=1263242178]
I thought the officiating was weak, I think you should put your best officials in games like these. Coach Gober should wonder!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I will be a "guest" referee at the BH/GCM game on Tuesday. Shaw will never survive the first quarter. I'll "T" up her dad too. ;D
[/quote]

The Best officials were used.  All three of those guys have called games at the State Tournament.

KP had plenty of chances to win that game just could not get it done.

[quote name="Buddy09" post="742290" timestamp="1263242861"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64429.msg742283#msg742283 date=1263242376]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Best officials were used.  All three of those guys have called games at the State Tournament.

[/quote]

And another thing...last year we beat KP at THEIR place by about 15 and they were all over THEIR referees, then same thing at the "play-in" at Dayton, all over the refs again...wondering if KP fans have ever had a set of refs they liked  :D :D

[quote name="HillGuy" post="742297" timestamp="1263243857"]
[quote author=Buddy09 link=topic=64429.msg742290#msg742290 date=1263242861]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64429.msg742283#msg742283 date=1263242376]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Best officials were used.  All three of those guys have called games at the State Tournament.

[/quote]

And another thing...last year we beat KP at THEIR place by about 15 and they were all over THEIR referees, then same thing at the "play-in" at Dayton, all over the refs again...wondering if KP fans have ever had a set of refs they liked  :D :D
[/quote]

Yes they have....10 times this year  :D

[quote name="GCMPats" post="742283" timestamp="1263242376"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm just wondering if Dad will be wearing red, blue or neutral for the game!  Got to be a funny feeling being an administrator at a rival school, ha...he may wear red, but bleed blue at game time!  You'd have a hard time finding a reason to 'T him up though...great guy with a great kid to boot.

[quote name="HillGuy" post="741691" timestamp="1263138530"]
Team effort lifts BH over Panthers
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published January 9, 2010
MONT BELVIEU — Kingwood Park wanted to sneak out of Barbers Hill’s Field House with a win Friday night.

Unfortunately for the Panthers, there was no escaping the long arms and lightning quick hands of Shannon Evans, who joined teammate Kendall Shaw to trap Panther forward Larla Brown with time winding down.

When Brown tried to pass over Shaw and Evans, it was left to Eagle guard Jenna Silva to come from nowhere and cradle the ball to secure a 60-59 win for Barbers Hill in the District 19-4A first-place showdown.

The sneaky Silva had materialized all by herself on the previous play, taking a pass and banking in an 8-foot jumper with 12 seconds left for the game-winning basket.

That gave her four points on the night.

“It’s what we’ve talked about all year long; everybody has to be ready to make a play,” Eagles coach John Chancellor said after his team improved to 5-0 in district, 18-4 overall.

“Jenna was sitting on the bench. Then she comes off the bench and makes the plays. She made the spark we needed.”

Brown was top gun for the night, scoring 20 points for a 4-1 Kingwood Park squad coached by former BH coach Angela Gober.

Jasmine Carter drilled jumper after jumper to lead the Eagles with 17 points. Evans finished with 16 points and seven steals and Shaw, the 6-foot-4 sophomore, rebounded from shaky free-throw shooting to finish with 13 points and seven rebounds.

Seven steals for Evans seems an understatement. She and teammate Carli Manchaca non-stop pestered the Kingwood Park ball-handlers out front and helped keep the score low in the first half.

Carter’s catch-and-shoot bucket, coming on an inbounds play with 0.5 seconds left in the second quarter, made it a 24-all deadlock at halftime.

Three straight jumpers by Carter and a Shaw bucket set up by an Evans pass gave Barbers Hill a five-point, 33-28, lead midway through the third.

But Kingwood Park caught up and led 39-35 after three periods, taking advantage of some Hack-a-Shaq fouls on Shaw, who missed eight free throws in a row at one point.

But the Eagles came back at the start of the fourth. Evans went backdoor on a pass from Silva and Shaw scored on a lob to tie it up.

Shaw found her stroke at the charity stripe and her two free throws put Barbers Hill up 41-39 with 4:47 left to play.

Kingwood Park rebounded from a five-minute scoreless funk and finished strong in the final four minutes of the game, tying the game at 58-all on Jazmyn Johnson’s 3-pointer with 26 seconds to play.

It turned into a four-point play when Shaw was called for a foul on the long shot and Johnson’s free throw allowed her to score her 16th point of the game and put the Panthers up 59-58.

“Kingwood Park is a very good team,” Chancellor said, “and this was the kind of game I expected. It was a great tester and our girls showed a lot of character.

“This is the kind of thing you build upon.”
[/quote]

Way to go Shannon, keep up the great year that you are having...BH is going to give 20-4A all they can handle.

Thanks mj...Its way early but I suspect we would face LCM in the first round...and hoping she won't be reporting to softball practice for at least a couple of weeks later!  If that game happens, come out to see it and bring "Rocket girl" with ya.  ;D

[quote name="HillGuy" post="742799" timestamp="1263328550"]
Thanks mj...Its way early but I suspect we would face LCM in the first round...and hoping she won't be reporting to softball practice for at least a couple of weeks later!  If that game happens, come out to see it and bring "Rocket girl" with ya.   ;D
[/quote]

Count on us to be there....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami