Houston Yates 170, Houston Lee 35 - Final

cutt

Guest GCMPats
[size=12pt]Yates sets Texas scoring record in 170-35 win
Lions break 18-year-old record in fight-marred victory over Lee[/size]

By JENNY DIAL
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:06PM

The Yates High School boys basketball team set a state record and set itself up for controversy Tuesday night at Butler Fieldhouse.

The Lions beat Lee High School 170-35, setting the single-game state scoring record. Hardin-Jefferson had owned the record of 166 points since 1992.

But the Lions' brush with history was marred by a second-half scuffle and questions of sportsmanship.

In the third quarter, a fight erupted after an intentional foul was called on a Lee player. After breaking up the fight, the referees told both coaches they would have to play just five players the remainder of the game. The other players for both teams spent the rest of the second half sitting in the stands.

“I feel very disrespected right now,” Lee coach Jacques Armant said. “I don't understand why Yates just kept scoring and pressing when they were up so much. These are kids. It isn't good to do that to other young men.”

Yates, which led 100-12 at halftime, is 14-0 this season and has won 39 consecutive games. The 100 points in the first half is also a state record and the second-most ever in a boys high school basketball game.

It was the eighth time this season Yates scored more than 100 points and the sixth time the Lions won by more than 60 . It was the first time this season Yates' margin of victory topped 100.

While the large margins of victory are turning heads, Yates coach Greg Wise said he isn't worried about his team's reputation.

Defending state champs
Last season, the Lions went 34-1 on the way to winning the Class 4A state championship. The one loss was a 78-76 decision to Elsik in the Houston Independent School District Tournament. That night, Wise said he let his kids down by telling them to put on the brakes.

“We practice running, pressing, trapping every day,” he said. “If we get to a game and I tell them not to do what we do in practice, I am not coaching well. I am not leaving my starters in the whole game. We have 15 guys, and all 15 play.”

Wise said he shouldn't have to tell his “third line” they can't go out and score.

“They work really hard in practice, and when they go in, they deserve the chance to play hard and compete, too,” Wise said. “We are looking for another state championship, and we can't get that unless we are continuing to get better and perfect our game. We aren't scoring on other teams out of disrespect.”

Despite Wise's intentions, Armant said other teams simply don't want to play Yates.

“No coach wants to put his kids in a position to be embarrassed,” he said. “We have great kids on our team, hard workers, and I am proud that they played the whole game tonight, but you can see how coaches are hesitant to put their kids on the floor with a team that is going to score on them that way.”

National record: 211
The Lions could be on par to break more records this season. Yates is averaging 119 points per game. The national record is 114.6. Yates has reached the 100-point mark in three consecutive games. The national record for consecutive 100-point games is 14. The national single-game scoring record is 211 set by De Quincy (La.) Grand Avenue in 1964.

The Lions are ranked No. 2 in the nation by MaxPreps and No. 5 by ESPN. They just returned from trips to Hawaii and Alabama for national tournaments.

“We know what people say and some of it is negative, but I believe that Houston is an area that is great for boys basketball, and I believe we have been on the national stage this year and showed that there is a lot of good basketball here,” Wise said. “I think that is good for our team, our community and the Houston area.”

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="739227" timestamp="1262756885"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=64409.msg739207#msg739207 date=1262754689]
Good news for Lee is theyll get their CHANCE at revenge later in the year  ;D
[/quote]I wonder how the Yates non-basketball coaches feel about this.

I recall during the middle of Kountze's record-setting losing streak in football(back in the 80's), Orangefield went and spanked Kountze 99-0.  Actually, the game wasn't as close as it seems... there were only 2 digits to post the OF score and word had it that they scored 107!!

Sadly for Orangefield, however, Kountze had to play them that year in basketball and I recall hearing about a world-class beatdown.  Of course, it may not have reached 170 - 35, but in any event, the Houston Yates football coach may have some long Friday nights ahead of him next year!!!  People don't forget things like that very easily.
[/quote]Thats the nature of sports and competition.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739287" timestamp="1262790640"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=64409.msg739227#msg739227 date=1262756885]
Good news for Lee is theyll get their CHANCE at revenge later in the year  ;D

I recall during the middle of Kountze's record-setting losing streak in football(back in the 80's), Orangefield went and spanked Kountze 99-0.  Actually, the game wasn't as close as it seems... there were only 2 digits to post the OF score and word had it that they scored 107!!

Sadly for Orangefield, however, Kountze had to play them that year in basketball and I recall hearing about a world-class beatdown.  Of course, it may not have reached 170 - 35, but in any event, the Houston Yates football coach may have some long Friday nights ahead of him next year!!!  People don't forget things like that very easily.
[/quote]

That's the nature of an a-hole coach!
This is not the pros. Karma is a b----!

I understand wanting the 3rd stringers to get there chance to score some points, but seems like when your up by 50 in the 1Q, there would be plenty of time for the bench bunch. As for the starters needing to get in their work, seems like practice against the 2nd string is much more work than Lee. This coach needs to learn from some of the older coaches, Boutte always called the dogs of early, and is one of the most respected coaches in Texas.

If I was an opposing coach I would not want my kids to take a beat down like that.  If my team was say 0-15 and avg. 33 points per game I would ask em if they wanted to play the game and risk such a blowout if they wanted to play we would but if not would just call and forfiet and put a dent in their chance to get the scoring record if thats all they are after.  You play the game to win yes but not to set the scoring record every time on the court.  

Wise and anybody else in his corner can come up with all the excuses they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is WRONG to beat someone like that.

I really don't have a problem with a team scoring 170 points, as long as the other team is scoring right there with you. But if you are up by almost 100 points at HALFTIME, wouldn't you think it was time to call the dogs off? 99.9% of all coaches would say yes. We know who the .1% is. ::)

The Lee coach should have not brought his team out after half.

Also, should have been a running clock.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739331" timestamp="1262795715"]
Wise and anybody else in his corner can come up with all the excuses they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is WRONG to beat someone like that.

I really don't have a problem with a team scoring 170 points, as long as the other team is scoring right there with you. But if you are up by almost 100 points at HALFTIME, wouldn't you think it was time to call the dogs off? 99.9% of all coaches would say yes. We know who the .1% is. ::)

[/quote]The only reasonable thing you said is to use a running clock. I don't hear any whining when a high school baseball score is 15-0 or a tennis match is lopsided. This is what happens with top tier teams or athletes in individual competitive sports. Non-competitive types want you to slack off on lesser talent. You can't!!! There is a certain edge you have to maintain in order to compete at a top level. It's hard enough to maintain motivation playing against weaker opponents. So you still have to set goals even against weak teams or opponents. Trust me, when Yates play against tougher teams, they will need the same intensity to win. Teams should get better or stop your whining.

true, you dont want to put in the last 5 and tell them not to score. But, there are other ways of playing and showing class..A 2-3 Zone would be appropriate Maybe a little man to man..throw in some 1-2-2 sit back zone action, anything , these are KIDS..These kids are not just from inside the district lines...Move ins from all over the H-Town area for one reason..Break the record..Not very challenging for the coach or the kids, a dinamic AAU super squad vs other public schools..WOW..Sure they are good go win another state championship, but do it the right way..With CLASS..Some just dont get it and never will...In this life, sooner or later, what comes around, goes around,you can bet on that!!!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739342" timestamp="1262797216"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739331#msg739331 date=1262795715]

[/quote]The only reasonable thing you said is to use a running clock. I don't hear any whining when a high school baseball score is 15-0 or a tennis match is lopsided. This is what happens with top tier teams or athletes in individual competitive sports. Non-competitive types want you to slack off on lesser talent. You can't!!! There is a certain edge you have to maintain in order to compete at a top level. It's hard enough to maintain motivation playing against weaker opponents. So you still have to set goals even against weak teams or opponents. Trust me, when Yates play against tougher teams, they will need the same intensity to win. Teams should get better or stop your whining.
[/quote]

BS!  There is no need for a running clock in baseball. There is a "mercy" rule in place at every level of the game. Poor analogy. Wise is a jerk and he'll never gain peoples respect from outside the 'hood  putting on displays like this.

If your team needs to maintain a high level of competition, play somebody.

I wasn't going to post, but I am...LOL! I see both sides and understand both sides. I have been beaten by 60 and beaten people by 40...Dont see any reason to go higher than that, But that is my philosophy. Every coach has their own and mine would be to work on certain defenses that we may need later, and I do understand the intensitity issue. U get up by certain amount of points and coast, is not good...The kids need to know how to control the intensity. And one thing I have learned is not matter your opponent u go in fighting and come out fighting, dont ever stay in the locker room (sorry aggie). Like I said this is my philosophy.

Now when H-J score those 162 points, where was the outrage?  Oh yeah, that was the good old days which message boards and internet nerds didn't exist.  When Lake Travis ran up the score on the football field, where was the outrage?  Lee's only job was to stop Yates.  Only 1 team has come close in that Hawaii tournament.  I guess if Yates were out in Southlake or Suburban Austin, there would be as much whining but since they're in 3rd Ward Houston........

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="739176" timestamp="1262753357"]
[font=Courier]Poppabear, welcome to the world of inner city basketball....They do the same in Dallas.

Coach Greg Wise is a good guy...He told every coach on the schedule this year - No offense but we want to break the all-time scoring record....Well, they are well on their way.

Has nothing to do with class. These are how these kids play basketball. baseline to baseline from start to finish. [/font]
[/quote]

Even our coaches up here in Dallas wouldn't go for 170. The only coach left in DISD that runs up the score is Carter's Robert Allen and he doesn't have the team this year to be able to run it up on too many folks.

[quote name="rhino1877" post="739412" timestamp="1262804552"]
I wasn't going to post, but I am...LOL! I see both sides and understand both sides. I have been beaten by 60 and beaten people by 40...Dont see any reason to go higher than that, But that is my philosophy. Every coach has their own and mine would be to work on certain defenses that we may need later, and I do understand the intensitity issue. U get up by certain amount of points and coast, is not good...The kids need to know how to control the intensity. And one thing I have learned is not matter your opponent u go in fighting and [b]come out fighting[/b], dont ever stay in the locker room (sorry aggie). Like I said this is my philosophy.
[/quote]

Fighting is right.  Might not be the right thing to do, but I would have my players punish the other team on every drive to the basket.  if they couldn't, I think I would recruit some football players for the next meeting.  They would have to score the last 70 from the free throw line.  JMHO

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739347" timestamp="1262798182"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739342#msg739342 date=1262797216]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739331#msg739331 date=1262795715]

[/quote]

BS!  There is no need for a running clock in baseball. There is a "mercy" rule in place at every level of the game. Poor analogy. Wise is a jerk and he'll never gain peoples respect from outside the 'hood  putting on displays like this.

If your team needs to maintain a high level of competition, play somebody.
[/quote]They are playing "somebody." They are just a super high school team.

[quote name="team first" post="739343" timestamp="1262797279"]
true, you dont want to put in the last 5 and tell them not to score. But, there are other ways of playing and showing class..A 2-3 Zone would be appropriate Maybe a little man to man..throw in some 1-2-2 sit back zone action, anything , these are KIDS..These kids are not just from inside the district lines...Move ins from all over the H-Town area for one reason..Break the record..Not very challenging for the coach or the kids, a dinamic AAU super squad vs other public schools..WOW..Sure they are good go win another state championship, but do it the right way..With CLASS..Some just dont get it and never will...In this life, sooner or later, what comes around, goes around,you can bet on that!!!
[/quote]"Other ways of playing?" Are you serious? You play the way you are trained to play. Go all out! Same philosophy in business and making money.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739437" timestamp="1262807309"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=64409.msg739343#msg739343 date=1262797279]
[/quote]"Other ways of playing?" Are you serious? You play the way you are trained to play. Go all out! Same philosophy in business and making money.
[/quote]

So you are saying nobody has ever taught the guys to play a zone defense?  They don't know how to play a half-court game?  Dove, surely you are just stirring here.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739298" timestamp="1262791628"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739287#msg739287 date=1262790640]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=64409.msg739227#msg739227 date=1262756885]
Good news for Lee is theyll get their CHANCE at revenge later in the year  ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]
Are you saying the coach at OF at this time was an a-hole?  Do you know the situation with this OF/Kountze football game?

Someone from that H-J team called in to 97.5 and he said Coach Baithrup(sp) called off the press in the 2nd quarter.  But he did say the 2nd five was just as good as the first 5.  And he also said it was the other team job to stop them.  Didn't catch who they put that 160 on but he did say they won state and only lost to Lincoln who won state in 4A that year

[quote name="SFA85" post="739441" timestamp="1262807510"]
Someone from that H-J team called in to 97.5 and he said Coach Baithrup(sp) called off the press in the 2nd quarter.  But he did say the 2nd five was just as good as the first 5.  And he also said it was the other team job to stop them.  Didn't catch who they put that 160 on but he did say they won state and only lost to Lincoln who won state in 4A that year
[/quote]

In 1991 HJ won state and their only loss was to 4A Conroe Oak Ridge...............HJ set the scoring record in 1992 and that team was undefeated and lost to Groesbeck in the Regional Final............HJ beat Hardin in the game they set the scoring record in.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="739446" timestamp="1262807695"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=64409.msg739441#msg739441 date=1262807510]
[/quote]

In 1991 HJ won state and their only loss was to 4A Conroe Oak Ridge...............HJ set the scoring record in 1992 and that team was undefeated and lost to Groesbeck in the Regional Final............HJ beat Hardin in the game they set the scoring record in.
[/quote]

What was the score???

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Cat22" post="739440" timestamp="1262807473"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739298#msg739298 date=1262791628]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739287#msg739287 date=1262790640]
Good news for Lee is theyll get their CHANCE at revenge later in the year  ;D

[/quote]

[/quote]
Are you saying the coach at OF at this time was an a-hole?  Do you know the situation with this OF/Kountze football game?
[/quote]

No. The Yate's coach is to whom I am referring.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01