Many noticing a decline in basketball talent

[quote name="whsalum" post="734691" timestamp="1261632291"]
Shooting form is an art that is learned from hours and hours of repetition in the gym.Most kids now have so much more to do that they won't put in the time it takes to become a pure shooter.It sure makes you appreciate a pure shooter when you see one.
[/quote]

Agreed, and alot of what the "have" to do they don't "[i]have[/i]" to do. Game consoles, ipods, facebook and on and on. I know some people will argue that some of the "games" they play do teach strategy, but thats not even close to a wash. I can just see Pistol Pete with his face glued to a DS instead of practicing his touch on a bank shot. It's not talent, its work ethic, really play ethic because kids used to play for entertainment, and [i]some[/i] still do, it's just not as common I don't think. I wonder when the 20 billion dollar government funded study will be released to show the effects......

In 3a and smaller schools its hard to specialize, only so many athletes to go around. Even universal offseason (formally known as hay hauling, fence building, yard mowing, etc.) hasn't solved that problem, or has it?

[quote name="whsalum" post="734756" timestamp="1261672538"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64090.msg734746#msg734746 date=1261669319]
I keep telling y'all Hamshire Fannett is going to be in the forefront by 2011-2012.
[/quote]It's hard to decline from where HF has been  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]LOL! Yep, nowhere else to go but up @HF. When you start to get HJ high school coaches out to see Hf players in middle school and the HF coach and AD, you know something major about to explode in HF in a few years. It's that cycle........

Actually it's not a decline, a little down overall, maybe..Thats the way it works..Ozen can't have a team possibly good enough to win state every year like they have the past 8 or 9,,And yes they've been that talented..One of the best guards in the state is still there...Memorial has its best team ever..they are GOOD...Kountze has a couple of real good players..Central has good players, but they are younger, Westbrook is young..H.J. has some good players, not great and a great system..Silsbee may be the best they have been..In A LONG TIME! Livingston just went to reg. semis last year and lost to state champ YATES. Orangefield and WOS could be as close as you can get for that 3rd spot..PNG is better than they have been in the last 6 or 7 yrs. Vidor and Nederland have some potential...Overall, this idea of decline is really a cycle, I hear Ozen has a heck of a fresh group, and Dove thinks the future of this      game is over in Ham. Fannett...only time will tell, and time is moving swiftly...Merry Christmas..Hope Santa drops off some Chuck Taylors for you and yours..

I will draw a parallel with basketball like MC fans do with football.  This district is down in basketball when PN-G and Ned are winning.....

They said the same thing when Ozen and Central would finish 1 and 2 in football......

But again, it doesn't matter, the title goes through 3rd Ward with LM maybe posing a mild threat.....

Guest bleed orange
I think a lot of things have hurt the game. Fundamentals are not taught enough for one. The NBA is another, the way the game is played now days you can throw defense out the window. Kids don't play defense anymore. I mean why when you can grab, shove and get mugged. It is all about offense. How many kids shoot a left handed layup with their left hand if they are right handed? Not many. Too much TV and video games. You don't see kids playing outside anymore. My goal was nailed to a pine tree with a big root at the bottom. My court was dirt. But you know what you do what you have to do and you play where you have to play in order to get better.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="734966" timestamp="1261794131"]
I think a lot of things have hurt the game. Fundamentals are not taught enough for one. The NBA is another, the way the game is played now days you can throw defense out the window. Kids don't play defense anymore. I mean why when you can grab, shove and get mugged. It is all about offense. How many kids shoot a left handed layup with their left hand if they are right handed? Not many. Too much TV and video games. You don't see kids playing outside anymore. My goal was nailed to a pine tree with a big root at the bottom. My court was dirt. But you know what you do what you have to do and you play where you have to play in order to get better.
[/quote]True!

I agree with SFA85...
When PNG and Nederland are atop the district in basketball the district is down!

But one thing to remember about PNG and Nederland that you are seeing now is the results of the Little Dribblers programs that were started when these kids were younger. This has made these two schools better, but never will they be great.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="badndn" post="735021" timestamp="1261853562"]
I agree with SFA85...
When PNG and Nederland are atop the district in basketball the district is down!

But one thing to remember about PNG and Nederland that you are seeing now is the results of the Little Dribblers programs that were started when these kids were younger. This has made these two schools better, but never will they be great.
[/quote]

Yes, the little dribblers program will make a difference. Also with the girls. Give it time. The key is if these young kids are being taught fundamentals. I see a lot of coaches promoting their own kid or winning instead of teaching the pure game of basketball. Fundamentals is the key. I can only speak from my experience of the Orangefield little dribblers. I am not saying winning should not be a focus all I am saying is, not at the expense of the other kids on the team. Take your best player and make the other players better. The league should be about teaching and that kid coming back to play another year. Allstars is about winning.

I think the decline will continue until they put RULES back into basketball.  People just maul each other on the court--no poise, discipline, finese, etc:
The officiating let's anything go in a basic free-for-all!
Good basketball was fun when it was not characterized by dozens of blatant fouling happening that is NOT CALLED BY THE OFFICIALS.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="East TX" post="735117" timestamp="1261879896"]
I think the decline will continue until they put RULES back into basketball.  People just maul each other on the court--no poise, discipline, finese, etc:
The officiating let's anything go in a basic free-for-all!
Good basketball was fun when it was not characterized by dozens of blatant fouling happening that is NOT CALLED BY THE OFFICIALS.
[/quote]

It is called the NBA. ;D ;D That is why I don't watch it. I did watch it when Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and David Robinson played.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="735088" timestamp="1261873099"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=64090.msg735021#msg735021 date=1261853562]
I agree with SFA85...

[/quote]

Yes, the little dribblers program will make a difference. Also with the girls. Give it time. The key is if these young kids are being taught fundamentals. I see a lot of coaches promoting their own kid or winning instead of teaching the pure game of basketball. Fundamentals is the key. I can only speak from my experience of the Orangefield little dribblers. I am not saying winning should not be a focus all I am saying is, not at the expense of the other kids on the team. Take your best player and make the other players better. The league should be about teaching and that kid coming back to play another year. Allstars is about winning.
[/quote]I never heard of Little Dribblers until moving into the area. At first, I thought it was a program for little primary kids to play basketball. The competition isn't that great but it's really fun when the kids go to regionals and nationals. I think the coaches do a good job to volunteer their time. I think what we need to realize is that most kids already have the skill set BEFORE they play in these organizations. You should not expect a ccoach at any level to teach a kid how to dribble, pass and shoot. Thats learned during the off season on the playgrounds playing 2 0n 2 or 3 on 3. I always tell players you have to respect the game and be a student of the game if you want to be good at it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124

• FBC transfer most likely will. He’s already been on several recruiting visits and has been looking decent on the camp circuit for only being a freshman. I don’t think his family will let him sit past this year though.   JV kid is decent but he’s not really anybody I think you want to rely on competing against good teams with. He has some moxie but he’s smallish and doesn’t have a lot of arm talent. I think he would stay and be a backup no matter what or switch positions if the FBC kid stays. 
    • Oh an institution can move away from God, and the USA is running away from God.  I am not trying to chase you off - this is a free site.  I just wish people would be more open to alternative view points.  The devil wants to sow division.  Nice to hear you admit that God is love.  I generally try to stay off this side of the site - would much rather talk baseball and small town sports.
    • I guess you heard wrong? All of the sophomore studs he grew up with are on varsity and several played great in the Spring game, 4/5 will start and the others are in the two deep. Only kid I heard about going to Dayton is the receiver that left to go to North Shore and he hasn’t even been playing football. Leaving was what he felt was best for his kid, sometimes you have to make those choices. My son would’ve left last year too if he could’ve gotten eligible, doesn’t mean I would’ve liked Crosby less.  
    • It’s always funny to me when present day republicans start talking about what 19th century republicans did, because you’re absolutely right.  Point it out and they get mad, though.  And I vote Republican 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
    • Talk about condescension. It’s not chasing me off this time. I have never been talked more rudely at than on here. Oh, and no one can move away from God. He dwells in all things. The problem is we have politicized Him to further divide ourselves and make money or build power for ourselves. He loves us all anyway. Peace.
  • Topics