Play-off Sites - Help??

Pirate88

Someone help me. I don't understand how play-off game sites are determined. Do the coaches get together and put a list of sites together and then book one based upon availablity? I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I can't find it. I really don't understand how the Dayton-Vidor game is being played in Huntsville. It seems more reasonable for this game to be played in Beaumont or at least Houston, before being played in Huntsville.  :P

[quote name="Pirate88" post="702917" timestamp="1257811602"]
Someone help me. I don't understand how play-off game sites are determined. Do the coaches get together and put a list of sites together and then book one based upon availablity? I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I can't find it. I really don't understand how the Dayton-Vidor game is being played in Huntsville. It seems more reasonable for this game to be played in Beaumont or at least Houston, before being played in Huntsville.  :P
[/quote]

The coaches call each other and if they can agree on a neutral site, then that it is. If they can't, they usually pick two different stadiums (maybe home and home) and flip a coin. That is even in the state championship game. I think starting next year, the UIL will name the location of the championship games.

This year, the emphasis on getting a turf stadium was big. After the last month of down pours that have destroyed most of the grass field stadiums, it was a priority to try and get a turf field. Everyone was trying to get their hands on one in the first round. In Vidor's and Dayton's case, they had to go to Huntsville to get one.

I spoke to several coaches from the area over the last two weeks and all were trying to get a turf stadium for their potential playoff games.

AggiesAreWe brings up a good point.  I get a chance to see games around the state and Setx has fewer turf stadiums than any other part of the state except maybe the valley.  I sometimes wonder why that is.  Even some of the six-man schools out west have turf fields.

[quote name="rmac" post="703381" timestamp="1257866929"]
AggiesAreWe brings up a good point.  I get a chance to see games around the state and Setx has fewer turf stadiums than any other part of the state except maybe the valley.  I sometimes wonder why that is.  Even some of the six-man schools out west have turf fields.
[/quote]MONEY!

You also have to look at capacity. You cant play a game between two teams at Hamshire Fannett if both schools bring 5000 fans. Alot of schools look at the playoffs as a nice time to play in a nice stadium. Liberty played a playoff game a few years ago in Pasadena against WO-S. Didn't make much sense to me but they did have a nice place.

Like most of you have said... Field conditions... suppose to be a wet winter... no reason loosing a game due to a sloopy field.. especially if you are a running team.... Huntsville isn't as far a drive as you think... When I went to Livingston last year... there were a HUGE amount of Vidor Fans there... more than I expected.... Here is a route getting there via 105 through Sour Lake... 2 hours 20 mins...

[url=http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Vidor&1s=TX&2c=Huntsville&2s=Tx#a/maps/l:::Vidor:TX::US:30.131399:-94.015297:city:Orange+County:1/l::SR-105:::::30.247539:-94.718818:::2/l::SR-105:::::30.30923:-94.905296:::2/l::SR-105;+SR-573+Loop:::::30.33909:-95.092231:::2/l:::Huntsville:TX::US:30.723301:-95.550598:city:Walker+County:1/m:::::0:::::1:1:1::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e]To Huntsville Texas on 105 through Sour Lake and Cleveland... 2 hours 2 mins[/url]

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Golden Triangle" post="703572" timestamp="1257881025"]
With 4 teams going to the playoffs in 4A/5A it is getting harder and harder for teams to find suitable stadiums.   There is no stadium between Beaumont and Houston suitable for the playoffs.
[/quote]

Stallworth Stadium has plenty of seating and is in fairly good shape. The parking lot is a mess, but other than that, it's a nice place to watch a football game. The best part is, you do not have to go into the Houston area.

Galena Park ISD Stadium is 15 minutes down the road off of I-10 and is also a nice facility. It's not quite as easy to access as Stallworth.

Just wondering.  Since the Dome is no longer useable (at least I don't think it is) will Reliant Stadium be available for some of the high school playoff games later in the year.  Could have double headers there.  Would be fun!  I know it has been used for HS games at the start of the season.

[quote name="Old61Eagle" post="703607" timestamp="1257884642"]
Just wondering.  Since the Dome is no longer useable (at least I don't think it is) will Reliant Stadium be available for some of the high school playoff games later in the year.  Could have double headers there.  Would be fun!  I know it has been used for HS games at the start of the season.
[/quote]

High School teams play at Reliant all season long.

Guest GCMPats
Reliant does not host that many high school games. The last games played there were on Aug. 29th. Kingwood/Madison and Pearland/College Park.  I think the cost is too steep to play there at this time. The best bet would be some games in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Disney on Ice is there this weekend.

[quote name="vidor pirate" post="703746" timestamp="1257897133"]
i'd much rather drive to huntsville than deal with houston... god i hate that place
[/quote]hey look a Dayton fan and a Vidor Fan agreeing on something.I dont drive in houston for anything

Guest pirates
[quote name="octfeb" post="704239" timestamp="1257960403"]
[quote author=vidor pirate link=topic=62176.msg703746#msg703746 date=1257897133]
i'd much rather drive to huntsville than deal with houston... god i hate that place
[/quote]hey look a Dayton fan and a Vidor Fan agreeing on something.I dont drive in houston for anything
[/quote]

No matter the outcome, we all love High School Football.  If Dayton is the victor, good luck.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont