STJFL Jr Playoff and Power Rankings

daddy23

Someone asked about the Playoff picture:

Playoff Picture

Division 1:

Lumberton White has clinched the #1 spot and has completed a undefeated regular season.  Look for them to get the #2 overall seed

Bridge City needs to beat PNG-purple to lock up the #2 spot.  Look for them to get the win and take the #2 spot.  If they lose then the winner of the Ned-White and WOS-Blue could take the #2 spot.

Division 2:

WOS-White has locked up the #1 spot—even if they lose (like if their team misses the game).  Based on Points Allowed, they will also claim the #1 overall seed.

PNG-White and Vidor White are set to play in Week 8.  The winner will get the #2 spot in the Division.  The loser may still find themselves in the Wild Card Mix.

Division 3:

Nederland Gold is in and will get the #1 or #2 spot.  If they win, they will get the #3 overall seed.  If they lose, the tie-breaker scenarios get weird, but they will still be in the playoffs, win or lose this week.

Little Cypress (assuming they beat PNG-Grey this week):  If they win this week, they are in the playoffs.  If they lose, then the winner of Orangefield and Kountze will be tied with 3-2 in the division.  Then it depends on which tie-breaker is used.

Wild Cards:

WOS-Blue vs. NED-White.  The winner of this game will qualify as the #7 overall seed with a 6-2 record.  The loser will find themselves in a tie with the PNG-White vs. Vidor White loser.   

PNG-White has allowed the fewest points and would take the Wild Card even if they lose to Vidor.  Otherwise, I think the WOS/NED loser will take the last Wild Card spot based on fewer points allowed than Vidor.  However, that could change based on the Week 8 results. 

Responding to a Question about Bridge City (to make sure that no one thinks that I am trying to single anyone out).  I know that Bridge City has already beat the Ned-White and WOS-Blue and so you would think that Bridge City would automatically win a tie-breaker (should they lose, however unlikely) against either team.  However, I copied the below information from the STJFL website about Tie-Breakers:

Wild Card qualifications & tie-breakers will be:

Best overall record

Head to head (if teams played)

Points allowed

Coin toss

I know it does not seem right, and I could be misunderstanding the rules, but it would appear the Ned-White or WOS-Blue (the winner, of course) would both win a tie-breaker over Bridge City.  If someone knows that I am wrong, please speak up.  I am just having fun figuring this stuff out.

Someone asked about the Playoff picture:

Playoff Picture

Division 1:

Lumberton White has clinched the #1 spot and has completed a undefeated regular season.  Look for them to get the #2 overall seed

Bridge City needs to beat PNG-purple to lock up the #2 spot.  Look for them to get the win and take the #2 spot.  If they lose then the winner of the Ned-White and WOS-Blue could take the #2 spot.

Division 2:

WOS-White has locked up the #1 spot—even if they lose (like if their team misses the game).  Based on Points Allowed, they will also claim the #1 overall seed.

PNG-White and Vidor White are set to play in Week 8.  The winner will get the #2 spot in the Division.  The loser may still find themselves in the Wild Card Mix.

Division 3:

Nederland Gold is in and will get the #1 or #2 spot.  If they win, they will get the #3 overall seed.  If they lose, the tie-breaker scenarios get weird, but they will still be in the playoffs, win or lose this week.

Little Cypress (assuming they beat PNG-Grey this week):  If they win this week, they are in the playoffs.  If they lose, then the winner of Orangefield and Kountze will be tied with 3-2 in the division.  Then it depends on which tie-breaker is used.

Wild Cards:

WOS-Blue vs. NED-White.  The winner of this game will qualify as the #7 overall seed with a 6-2 record.  The loser will find themselves in a tie with the PNG-White vs. Vidor White loser.   

PNG-White has allowed the fewest points and would take the Wild Card even if they lose to Vidor.  Otherwise, I think the WOS/NED loser will take the last Wild Card spot based on fewer points allowed than Vidor.  However, that could change based on the Week 8 results. 

DADDY23 you do a great job at the Power Rankings . I like forward for the Power Rankings every week that's what makes this league interresting. ;D ;D ;D

i think if b.c. has same record as ned. white or wos blue at the end they have the head to head wins over both & will go ahead of both. the last 2 wild card spots will be between ned. white, wos blue & vidor white. the winner of ned. white- wos blue game gets 1st wild card. the last wild card spot will go to vidor white if they win vs. png white,if they lose then it goes to points allowed ned. white has allowed 78 pts after 7 games & vidor white has allowed 84pts after 7 games,wos blue has given up 83 pts after 7 games

i think if b.c. has same record as ned. white or wos blue at the end they have the head to head wins over both & will go ahead of both. the last 2 wild card spots will be between ned. white, wos blue & vidor white. the winner of ned. white- wos blue game gets 1st wild card. the last wild card spot will go to vidor white if they win vs. png white,if they lose then it goes to points allowed ned. white has allowed 78 pts after 7 games & vidor white has allowed 84pts after 7 games,wos blue has given up 83 pts after 7 games

kf, I appreciate you weighing in.  However, why do you think that Head-to-Head is the first tie-breaker rather than Overall Record?  I am curious because the only rules I can find say differently.

Also, If Vidor White wins, they will not get the last Wild Card Spot.  They will instead get the #2 spot from Division 2.  The loser of the PNG-Vidor game will be in a Tie for the last Wild Card Spot. 

And I would think that PNG-White would get it if they lose based on Points Allowed.  If Vidor loses, I would think that someone else from Division 1 would get the last Wild Card spot.  But really the Points Allowed could change on Saturday.

Team Record Comments

1 WOS--White 7-0 The two teams are Heavy SuperBowl Favorites

2 Lumberton--White 8-0

3 Bridge City 5-2 Only losses are to #1 and #2

4 PNG--White 5-2

5 WOS--Blue 5-2 Both teams need to win to guarantee Playoffs.

6 Nederland White 5-2

7 Nederland Gold 5-2 Already Clinched First Place Tie in Division #3

8 Vidor White 5-2 Needs to beat PNG-White this week to Stay Alive

9 Lumberton Red 4-4 Played a very Tough Schedule

10 Too Close To Call

Here is my Week 7 Rankings....Good Luck to All the Teams on Saturday.

i said if b.c. finishes season 6-2 & the winner of ned. white- wos blue game will b 6-2 b.c. has the head to head wins over both.so b.c. gets the 2nd seed for division 1. if b.c. loses & finishes 5-3 like the loser of ned. white- wos blue game b.c. will get the higher seed over them cuz they won head to head.

i said if b.c. finishes season 6-2 & the winner of ned. white- wos blue game will b 6-2 b.c. has the head to head wins over both.so b.c. gets the 2nd seed for division 1. if b.c. loses & finishes 5-3 like the loser of ned. white- wos blue game b.c. will get the higher seed over them cuz they won head to head.

I misunderstood before....My apologies.

Two big games this week featuring 5-2 teams in the Jr Division:

Nederland White vs WOS-Blue.  The winner will claim the first wild card spot (likely).  The loser will find themselves in a Tie for the last Wild Card Spot and be in jeopardy. 

PNG-White vs Vidor-White.  The winner will claim the #2 spot in Division 2.  The loser will be tied for the last Wild Card Spot. 

So, let's hear some predictions on the two Games Of The Week.  Who wins?  High scoring or Low scoring?  What does everyone think?

Ok I will start the predictions. Half will like them the other half won't.  ;D Either way they are just predictions and meant to be nothing more so take them for what they are. Personally I don't have a dog in the fight and it doesn't matter to me who wins. I just hope everyone plays hard and no one has any injuries.

WOS Blue over Nederland White (somewhat of a homer pick but I do think they will win)

PNG White over Vidor White

Ok I will start the predictions. Half will like them the other half won't.  ;D Either way they are just predictions and meant to be nothing more so take them for what they are. Personally I don't have a dog in the fight and it doesn't matter to me who wins. I just hope everyone plays hard and no one has any injuries.

WOS Blue over Nederland White (somewhat of a homer pick but I do think they will win)

PNG White over Vidor White

Go Vidor............ ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just my opinion here.  I don't think that going by points scored against is a good tie breaker in this particular league.  It can be good if every game was played out without running the clocks in the second halfs of some and not in others.  I think that some coaches start manipulating this from the beginning of the season.  There were several games played this year in which a team could have scored more points, but the clock ran through timeouts, incompletions, ect. (continuous).  Even one case where a team chose not to finish a game.  Were they thinking ahead to the tie breaker, IDK.  Glad it didn't matter in the end.  I do understand the purpose of this, but I just think that it gets manipulated.  Let's say a team is in a dog fight in which the score is 45-40.  They will play this game to the end, and now two good teams has just put a pile of points against each other.  Down the road a team is losing 28-0 at half, and they run accelerated clock in second half.  The final score ends up 35-0.  I'm just saying, the tie breaker points are very very close this year, and 1 touchdown could make a difference in who stays home or who goes to the playoffs.  All game should be played out no matter what, since this is the tie breaker system that has been chosen.  What you think?

Just my opinion here.  I don't think that going by points scored against is a good tie breaker in this particular league.  It can be good if every game was played out without running the clocks in the second halfs of some and not in others.  I think that some coaches start manipulating this from the beginning of the season.  There were several games played this year in which a team could have scored more points, but the clock ran through timeouts, incompletions, ect. (continuous).  Even one case where a team chose not to finish a game.  Were they thinking ahead to the tie breaker, IDK.  Glad it didn't matter in the end.  I do understand the purpose of this, but I just think that it gets manipulated.  Let's say a team is in a dog fight in which the score is 45-40.  They will play this game to the end, and now two good teams has just put a pile of points against each other.  Down the road a team is losing 28-0 at half, and they run accelerated clock in second half.  The final score ends up 35-0.  I'm just saying, the tie breaker points are very very close this year, and 1 touchdown could make a difference in who stays home or who goes to the playoffs.  All game should be played out no matter what, since this is the tie breaker system that has been chosen.  What you think?

BigD: I agree.  Not only that, this year in particular, the fact that some teams had a "forfeit win" which of course, was put in the books as "1-0".  This one game that was never played could make 100% difference in the outcome of (as u say) who stays home and who goes to the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami