Grades, how did everybody do?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can become eligible at 9 weeks if you are passing all classes.

Correct, a progress report can make you eligible, if you bring the grade up.

He knows too, Dayton keeps a binder of blank ones in the back of the bus.................  ;D  Just poking fun at you Bronco.....  ;)

whsalum, I agree with most of what you say and thank God for teachers. They do not get near the credit or near the pay that they deserve for educating our children. However, in some schools, we tend to have some teachers who love having that power of failing a kid in their hands and will use that to their advantage. I would give all kids the benefit of the doubt the first six weeks (although I would not let them know it) and pass them if they were football players. All kids learn differently and many students take time to learn a specific teachers style of education. Most coaches that I know would stay on an athlete that is failing but many teachers will not even tell the coaches or worse will have the students passing at the 3rd six weeks progress reports. Kids indeed need to "hit the books" but teachers (some, not all) need to learn that teaching is in itself a learned science.....and that high school teachers are just that..and not college professors.

wow, more proof High school football is KING in SETX.....with attitudes like that it's no wonder kids are getting such a great education >:(

and what on earth does that last part mean? 'or worse will have students passing at the progress reports"...

anyhow to the actual topic....I am looking forward to a great battle at Silsbee vs WOS.....it's going to be interesting  ;D

Guest Silsbee88

whsalum, I agree with most of what you say and thank God for teachers. They do not get near the credit or near the pay that they deserve for educating our children. However, in some schools, we tend to have some teachers who love having that power of failing a kid in their hands and will use that to their advantage. I would give all kids the benefit of the doubt the first six weeks (although I would not let them know it) and pass them if they were football players. All kids learn differently and many students take time to learn a specific teachers style of education. Most coaches that I know would stay on an athlete that is failing but many teachers will not even tell the coaches or worse will have the students passing at the 3rd six weeks progress reports. Kids indeed need to "hit the books" but teachers (some, not all) need to learn that teaching is in itself a learned science.....and that high school teachers are just that..and not college professors.

And this is why I hope and pray you will never be a teacher!

We have public education for only one reason, that is just that an educationAll athletics and extracurricular activities are not a right they are a privilege

You would pass them if they were football players. That dont sound fair to them or the other students, thay should have to show some effort on thier part .

You would pass them if they were football players. That dont sound fair to them or the other students, thay should have to show some effort on thier part .

So, let me get this straight...if you are going to pass them all the 1st six weeks so they would eligible for football, would you also have to pass them all the first six weeks period that runs into baseball, basketball, track, power lifting, etc... If that were the case students would get a free pass all of the six weeks. If your system were put into place it would further degrade our already struggling education system just so that you would have a game to watch for a couple of months each fall. Most of these players will never play past high school and if they do not have a sound education they will not be able to get into college or have a job that will support their family after high school. But, lets do it so they can suit up 10 times and play under the lights...wow. I love all high school sports, but I do not believe that we should mortgage the future of our Student-Athletes just so they can play a game.

WOW! I bet this pushes this thread at least 4 more pages...

You can't be serious!

No pass no play is there for a reason. i am married to a teacher and this is the only thing that keeps some kids even partially focused on school. I for one thing it might not be strong enough. I would like to see the grades carry over from the end of the year to the first of the next school year.

It is a motivator, plain and simple. Why not maintain the motivation through the entire school year!

JMO

We are still waiting for grades, tried to network them over, but typist developed a bad case of cramps and is being treated as of right now. Her backup is on vacation in India riding elephants. May have to go to the old verbal at game time. " Did you pass?, Yes,  ok suit up." "Did you try to pass? Yes, ok suit up. " " Did you fail? Yes, ok suit up." ;D

Burkeville Chronicle

You are either a coach or a mad parent becaus little whomever didn't get given a passing grade. First , if you just pass

everyone this first six weeks, then I guess the kids want remember that no athelete fails the first six weeks. They could assume

that everyone that comes to practice gets to play because with your reasoning, the coaches could not grade the kids according

to their ability. I am sick and tired of the schools rewarding kids for everything. Let's see, they graduate several times before

they ever get out of high school now.Maybe thats why there is so many drop-outs. Heck,they graduated from elementary school.

Back to what I was saying, just have your school board adopt a resolution not to give grades and see how soon we become a third

world nation. A lot of kids are given everything in school so why should he work. Then we send them out in the real world and if

they don't produce, I believe  they lose their job. I was a pretty good athelete in h.s. and I remember the teachers that didn't give

me a free ride (Appreciate it, Thanks ) and the teachers that let me slide. I called them coach.

WOS coaches keep a tight rein on who is failing.  They get reports from teachers weekly.  They set practice back 30-45 mins later during tutorial periods and walk the players to tutorials when necessary.  It's worked for a lot of years.  They implemented the system in the mid 90's.

WOS coaches keep a tight rein on who is failing.  They get reports from teachers weekly.  They set practice back 30-45 mins later during tutorial periods and walk the players to tutorials when necessary.  It's worked for a lot of years.  They implemented the system in the mid 90's.

Its necessary there I guess.

BC does something similar...

they start practice 10-15 minutes after tutorials would end so kids have time to get in for extra help

(but dont walk them to it... you'd think being in highschool you'd have enough responsibility to do so yourself)

they also do the weekly  grade reports to make sure the players are passing and if their not then use your imagination on a punishment.

BC does something similar...

they start practice 10-15 minutes after tutorials would end so kids have time to get in for extra help

(but dont walk them to it... you'd think being in highschool you'd have enough responsibility to do so yourself)

they also do the weekly  grade reports to make sure the players are passing and if their not then use your imagination on a punishment.

I hear ya on the walking them to tutorials.  And then again, you'd think they'd have enough responsibility to make sure they are passing and not force themselves into tutorials.  I see corporal punishment at BC field house.  LOL ;)

Guest ECBucFan

I would give all kids the benefit of the doubt the first six weeks (although I would not let them know it) and pass them if they were football players.

Shocking statement! Noteworthy this is the same guy who claimed Burkeville would "gather players from surrounding communities". No offense, B-Chron, but you need to think out what you are saying. You are not doing Burkeville any favors, IMHO.

I had 3 boys that did every extracirricular activity there was to do while in high school.They knew no matter what the progress report said if their grades slipped they wouldn't play ball or go to the ag contest or anything else.You have to challenge these kids in the classroom just like you do on the field,on the court or on the track.The really good coaches monitor the progress reports and deal with the slackers accordingly.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder