20-4A

I am not at all saying there are not good players at the high school level. They are not surrounded by the best coaching staff. Remember football last year, they had a losing season.  The talk all over the area, including this forum, was the team lacked coaching.  Wow, a new coach comes in and they are now winning. We only got new coaches, not new players.

Wrong....No high school team ever has the same players... every year a team loses seniors and new players move up.  EVERY year is a completely new team.... different leaders, different work habits, different situations, etc.... 

Maybe the football team was young last year and lost due to inexperience.... how many seniors play on the PNG football team this year?

Volleyball, softball, cheerleading, jobs, boyfriends, etc all compete for girl athletes attention.... Sometimes kids just don't choose basketball. 

The PNG folks may have some flaws..... what coaches don't??  I have coached in the area for 9 years now and I will tell you this... the PNG girls play hard!  My teams have won each time, but they got after it!  Would any of this credit go to the coach??  Sometimes it is just a talent issue... Sometimes the game passes kids up, and sometimes other teams get better...

First of all, I never said anyone of these girls do not play hard.  In fact, they give it their all.

You are quick to remind me that you are a coach.  So what.  Just because you coach does not make all coaches good.  Lets face it, some are there because they want to be and some are there for the money.  Oh don't say that the money is not great.  I am aware that coaches are not the highest paid people around.  A good coach is there because he/she wants to be there.

As far as football, there were over 70 boys on varsity last year.  Not everyone graduated.  You need to read the posts on the football side and you will see that alot of credit is given to the new coaches and the players. 

HillGuy you have the athlete at Ozen mixed up... S. Brown graduated and could barely touch the net!!!  You are speaking of 2008-09 IAAF World ranked(LJ) Track & Field athlete A'Lexus Brannon who can DUNK a basketball, play all positions on the court, shoot with either hand, rebound with the tallest and biggest, and she is 5 "10".  She is the 3 time 4A State Champion in the long jump, 2 time 4A State Champion in the triple jump, and the 2009 4A State bronze medalists in the 100m hurdles.  She has played Varsity B-Ball, V-Ball, and ran varsity track since 9th grade!!!

HillGuy you have the athlete at Ozen mixed up... S. Brown graduated and could barely touch the net!!!  You are speaking of 2008-09 IAAF World ranked(LJ) Track & Field athlete A'Lexus Brannon who can DUNK a basketball, play all positions on the court, shoot with either hand, rebound with the tallest and biggest, and she is 5 "10".  She is the 3 time 4A State Champion in the long jump, 2 time 4A State Champion in the triple jump, and the 2009 4A State bronze medalists in the 100m hurdles.  She has played Varsity B-Ball, V-Ball, and ran varsity track since 9th grade!!!

You are exactly right...and my apologies!....meant A. Brannon and she is a fantastic athlete.

[quote name="Slam14" post="682929" timestamp="1256222193"]
[quote author=jasperalltheway2statebaby link=topic=60384.msg682775#msg682775 date=1256183484]
try looking for paige burbank shell have a  blow out season
[/quote]

What school do you play for Paige? ;D
[/quote]

she plays for kelly, duh read the tread called Kelly Girls State Bound

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="667985" timestamp="1255038415"]
Lumberton fell off after the two really good girls graduated. I forgot their names, and going by their 13-14 yr old Little Dribbler All Stars, it's going to be a while before they have the same kind of sucess.
[/quote]

It is deceiving because most of the better 13-14 year old girl players got out of Little Dribblers and have been playing tournament ball in Houston the past 3 years. But the main question on this thread about Jr High success not turning into high school success is a valid question. I know in Lumberton it has been due to many of the better players decided to walk away from basketball the past few years. Some played soccer, some played volleyball, some played nothing. You would have to ask the players why they left the program... My older daughter just graduated, and when she was in 7th-8th, their girls teams were undefeated in seasons and tourneys.  Last year only 2 of those 10 girls remained in the program as Seniors. 

But the Lady Raiders have a new young coach this year and have more kids out this year than they have had in a while. Optimism is high that the new coach can get the program back up.  Good luck to Coach Wolf Gholson and the girls.  ( My youngest is a Freshman this year  ;D  ) 

• 2 months later...
[quote name="hjhawks" post="673604" timestamp="1255414809"]
[quote author=GTS1 link=topic=60384.msg668076#msg668076 date=1255049765]
AT PNG, the problems are with the coaches.  They have no business even trying to call themsevles that.  The best basketball coaches in the district are at the middle schools.  Last year, the PN middle school had more plays than the JC coach.  It was pretty sad to see the talent that was wasted.  Most of the girls don't play for these reasons.

I am not saying that PNG would win district, but they would be competitive and make it interesting.
[/quote]

I don't know you, but as a fellow coach, this type of statement is way out of line.  Because a coach doesn't have alot of plays means they are a bad coach???  I have 2 plays if you even call them that and one defense.  Does this mean I am terrible and the MS coach is better also?

I surely doubt that girls did not play because the coach did have alot of plays.  Talent is wasted by players not by coaches.
[/quote]

i played with PNG last year. and we learned a total of like 3 plays the whole year...so when i got tied of the coaches picking their favorite players and then playing them because they think they are some kind of super stars. PNG could have a good basketball team if the coaches didnt just play the players they like. its sad when the parents see this over the players first...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83