Jasper & Silsbee amongst oldest rivalries in Texas

JB94

I did not realize that they have played each other that many times.  If this list is just based on how many times teams have played each other I am sure there are more schools that have played more than some on the list or are they just going by how big the schools are?  Buna and Orangefield just played there 50th game a few weeks ago!

Guest Ranger83

My mother is from Silsbee. I can remember going to the Jasper game as a young child. My aunt lived on Britton Dr in the neighborhood next to the old High School and stadium. What an atmosphere. The one thing that has always stood out in my memory was a cheer they used to do at Silsbee:  

Stop, Look and Listen. Here come the mighty Tigers!

I can see and hear it like it was yesterday.

Of all the games I've attended in this rivalry, two stick out in my mind. The 89 game when the dogs came into Silsbee ranked 6th(iirc) in the state and lost a very tight low scoring game. I think it was along the lines of 13-9. Silsbee had a couple of great defensive stops on their own goalline in the 4th quarter. That was the most intense game at old Kirby Stadium that i can remember.      The other game was in Jasper, the night the lights went out.

Of all the games I've attended in this rivalry, two stick out in my mind. The 89 game when the dogs came into Silsbee ranked 6th(iirc) in the state and lost a very tight low scoring game. I think it was along the lines of 13-9. Silsbee had a couple of great defensive stops on their own goalline in the 4th quarter. That was the most intense game at old Kirby Stadium that i can remember.       The other game was in Jasper, the night the lights went out.

I believe everyone remembers the lights out night. ;D

Of all the games I've attended in this rivalry, two stick out in my mind. The 89 game when the dogs came into Silsbee ranked 6th(iirc) in the state and lost a very tight low scoring game. I think it was along the lines of 13-9. Silsbee had a couple of great defensive stops on their own goalline in the 4th quarter. That was the most intense game at old Kirby Stadium that i can remember.       The other game was in Jasper, the night the lights went out.

the game at jasper that was a tie and silsbee won on first downs was a good one too...i believe the QB(mathews)got a thigh bruise and would just stand by the ball (so he wouldn't have to walk to the huddle) when silsbee broke the huddle they would tell him the play...a true warrior....i believe silsbee considers this more of a rivalry than jasper does....

the game at jasper that was a tie and silsbee won on first downs was a good one too...i believe the QB(mathews)got a thigh bruise and would just stand by the ball (so he wouldn't have to walk to the huddle) when silsbee broke the huddle they would tell him the play...a true warrior....i believe silsbee considers this more of a rivalry than jasper does....

I disagree with that, most of the older folks from Jasper that I know considers Silsbee their biggest rivalry.

I disagree with that, most of the older folks from Jasper that I know considers Silsbee their biggest rivalry.

and I disagree with you...having been on both ends of the rivalry....

I was chastised and then given a warning for posting this over on the downlow. It seems that the genious that has posted all that history stuff over there disagrees with what these guys are saying.

I can check with THE historian of Texas High School Football, Joe Lee Smith he's in my fantasy football league LOL.

I would say Newton or Kirbyville is Jasper's biggest rival right now.  Honestly I love playing Newton in Newton. We would pack those visitor's side like no other.  Now don't get me wrong WOS & Silsbee are still big rivalries, but just not where they were in the 90's.

• 2 months later...
According to the books the annual "Battle of the Ax" is the oldest continual high school football rivalry in the state of Texas. First game was played in 1906. Since 1912, there have only been five years in which the game was not played, three of which were during World War I. 1949 was the first year in which the Ax was awarded to the winner of the game.

Sherman High School (Sherman, TX) 59 victories
Denison High School (Denison, TX) 35 victories (Denison 43, Sherman 28 2009)
(Six games ended in a tie)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Love Binding Psychics
    Newest Member
    Love Binding Psychics