BC's thoughts remain on Kelly Bulldogs

BC's thoughts remain on Kelly Bulldogs

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The Bridge City Cardinals are done thinking they are too good to worry about an opponent. That was so 2008.

The Cardinals of 2009 are more worried about each week and this week is no exception.

Bridge City will play host to the Beaumont Kelly Bulldogs at Larry B. Ward Stadium.

Kelly (2-2) leads the series 7-6-1. Bridge City (3-1) won the first game between the two schools, 27-12, in 1990.

Bridge City is coming off a 42-6 thumping of the Buna Cougars, a game in which saw Cameron Dishon go off for four touchdowns. This was a week after he only saw the ball a few times against LC-M, a game in which the Cardinals lost.

“Dishon has been a weapon for us,†Bridge City coach Cris Stump said. “We decided after the game with LC-M we had to find ways to get the ball into our guys’ hands. We did not do that against the Bears. We are going to mix things up with him and Matt (Menard).â€

Dishon has scored a total of seven touchdowns in 2009 with four coming in the air and one on the ground. Dishon has also scored on a punt and kickoff return.

Menard continues to lead the way for the Cardinals on the ground with 272 yards on 49 carries with three touchdowns.

Quarterback Josh Lemoine has rushed for 122 yards and thrown for 283 with five touchdowns and three interceptions on 26-of-65 passing.

Dishon is the Cardinals leading receiver with 156 yards on seven catches. Luke Rhodes has five receptions for 11 yards while Jason Broussard, Devin Oceguera and Cale Hyde each have three catches.

The Cardinals offense is averaging 229 yards a game.

Bridge City’s defense, which gives up 236.8 yards a contest, will face a Kelly team which seems balanced on paper.

Quarterback Dakota Eddins has 542 yards and two touchdowns while Tyler Palermo leads the team with 324 yards on the ground with six scores.

Melvin Adderton has 213 rushing for Kelly with a touchdown and Patrick Cook has 112 yards and six touchdowns.

“Offensively they have kids who can run the ball and that quarterback is pretty good throwing the ball,†Stump said. “I have really been impressed with their linebackers on defense. Those guys fly to the football. It is like I keep telling our kids and I am sure they are tired of hearing it, we have to win the special teams and turnover battles for us to win this game.â€

Special teams has been a key part to several Bridge City wins this season. Besides the electric return game, the Cardinals have also been blessed with one of the areas best kickers in Devin Bertrand.

Bertrand has knocked down 12 extra points this year and also has a 45-yard field goal to his credit. He also has sent many kickoffs deep into the endzone for touch backs.

“We spend a lot of time on special teams,†Stump said. “I am not sure we spend more time on it other teams but we might. It certainly has paid off. It is a case of when the kids see it works, they want to work at it and be better at it.â€

With a win tonight, the Cardinals would match last year’s win total when the Cardinals were 4-4.

“We feel good about ourselves and sometimes you have to worry you feel too good,†Stump said. “I think we learned that lesson last year. We are anxious about getting No. 4 this week. We have done a good job staying focused on week to week. We are not worried about Hardin-Jefferson to start district, we are worried about Kelly right now.â€

the only thing i have to comment about is when he said,

“We spend a lot of time on special teams,†Stump said. “I am not sure we spend more time on it other teams but we might. It certainly has paid off. It is a case of when the kids see it works, they want to work at it and be better at it.â€

spend more time on offense!  ;D

the only thing i have to comment about is when he said,

spend more time on offense!  ;D

AGREED!!!  Say something like "our special teams is good, but right now I'm in my offense shredding my spread offense playbook and coming up with something that can average more than 229 yds per game."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont