Nederland at Friendswood/'Stangs win 42-7/Comments

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a coach is the problem and everyone knows it, then what's the problem.  Is this forum for just what you want to hear?  You need to explain. And you can trust me: I'll debate anything you want.  I'm not afraid.

Whatever man.  You are on me but he can call out a coach by name?  Isn't that one of the rules on this forum?  Go away mod

I'm watching the encroachment of "coach bashing" too.    If it gets worse, they'll be called down too, trust me.  Right now they're just blowing off steam.

And BTW,  I'm "going" nowhere.  Been here since before the board was started.  Guess you'll have to get used to me.   ;D

Explain who everyone is? Could it be the Daddys in the stands reliving there glory years?

Tough game Ned. Bad luck all week just rolled into Friday.

We (Friendswood) are not as good as this game might suggest, and Ned is not as bad as it might suggest either. We had a really good game, and ALL the bounces went our way. Add that to a 3rd string QB and it was a slaughter.

I have been on the other side, it ain't' fun. I wish you luck the rest of the year, and truly hope none of your guys are hurt. Good luck.

Ya ll have an awesome kicker though, wish we had him.

Nice to read a post with some class to it... :)

If your statement is for me, I'm not sure you understood my original statement.  I was asking one of the moderators if this forum is only for what he/she wants to hear.  This is what needs explaining.  If your statement was not for me, then never mind.

If a coach is the problem and everyone knows it, then what's the problem.  Is this forum for just what you want to hear?  You need to explain. And you can trust me: I'll debate anything you want.  I'm not afraid.

Whatever man.  You are on me but he can call out a coach by name?  Isn't that one of the rules on this forum?  Go away mod

I'm watching the encroachment of "coach bashing" too.    If it gets worse, they'll be called down too, trust me.  Right now they're just blowing off steam.

And BTW,  I'm "going" nowhere.  Been here since before the board was started.  Guess you'll have to get used to me.   ;D

Explain who everyone is? Could it be the Daddys in the stands reliving there glory years?

We (Friendswood) are not as good as this game might suggest, and Ned is not as bad as it might suggest either. We had a really good game, and ALL the bounces went our way. Add that to a 3rd string QB and it was a slaughter.

I have been on the other side, it ain't' fun. I wish you luck the rest of the year, and truly hope none of your guys are hurt. Good luck.

fatdaddy, sure you're on the correct board?

fatdaddy, sure you're on the correct board?

LOL, Yes at least for this last week.

After watching the Mustangs last year, I really don't think we are as great this year. But we are still plenty good, and should make the playoffs.

Having said that, I was surprised that Ned had as bad a night as they did. Historically they play hard, and keep it close. Things just got out of hand, and we were actually commenting in the stands that it seemed everything was bouncing our way. Murphy was a Mustang fan tonight. 

There is a fine line to walk: To offer respect to a team on a terrible night, but not to gloat, and certainly not pity. The effort those kids continued to give in the face of embarrassment deserves better than that. I think some of our readers lose track sometimes that These are kids giving their blood sweat and tears. Supporting my team, should in no way give me any reason to belittle or deride any other team, no matter how good, or bad they are.

OK, so much for the feel good. Good luck Ned and Dayton, I'll be checking on you throughout the year.

Just saw the clip on local tv here in Houston and Friendswood looks pretty good and big. Good luck to Nederland bc hope you guys get it going soon. Sometimes talent level gets a little dry or young and sure that Coach will figure it out. He has a good record and history there.

There's nothing to figure out.   Friendswood has more talent at nearly every position.   You can't outcoach that.

I agree Westend,  they were better than us at every position(except Kicker).  I don't think the outcome would have been much different no matter who the QB was.  Friendswood dominated both lines of scrimmage, they hit us in the mouth and made us like it. 

As for the turnovers,  Nederland probably fumbled about 10 times tonight.  They can't expect to do anything in district unless they start taking better care of the ball.  Especially since the Dogs defenses of the past few years don't create many turnovers.

Hopefully they can learn from this game and be ready to go next Friday against Ozen.  Now the real games start, time to buckle up the chin straps and play up to their capabilities.

Hey Proud, I know that big paycheck makes putting up with all the BS So worth it, lol. Yeah, I hate to say it but this was no surprise. Friendswood is Just your typical solid contender which the Dogs have not been since before the day Sampere went down a few years back. The Dogs have just lost the spark, really itsbeen gone for several years, specifically since about 2002. We need another Troy Sumrall to relight the fire because as a long time follower I can clearly see that the fire has been dwindling in the players, coaches and fans for years. Now it's all but extinguished. If you guys have been in the the thick of Bulldog football for a decade or more, then you might be able to see what I see. If not, there is no way you can understand where we were,,, and where we have come to as a football community.

Just saw the clip on local tv here in Houston and Friendswood looks pretty good and big. Good luck to Nederland bc hope you guys get it going soon. Sometimes talent level gets a little dry or young and sure that Coach will figure it out. He has a good record and history there.

There's nothing to figure out.   Friendswood has more talent at nearly every position.   You can't outcoach that.

I agree Westend,  they were better than us at every position(except Kicker).   I don't think the outcome would have been much different no matter who the QB was.  Friendswood dominated both lines of scrimmage, they hit us in the mouth and made us like it. 

As for the turnovers,  Nederland probably fumbled about 10 times tonight.  They can't expect to do anything in district unless they start taking better care of the ball.  Especially since the Dogs defenses of the past few years don't create many turnovers.

Hopefully they can learn from this game and be ready to go next Friday against Ozen.  Now the real games start, time to buckle up the chin straps and play up to their capabilities.

Oh man, don't look good :(

Gotta agree with you Michael, it does seem as if some of the spark is gone. Cant say why but, participation is down. Look at the sidelines the numbers are low. With all that said, we were manhandled last nite.... on BOTH sides of the ball. I agree Fwood is a Contender, and we are not. IMO the talent pool is a little low. And as far as coaching goes, our staff has to be one of the best in the area. I remember not so long ago manhandling a good Fwood team,last nite they returned the favor.

As for as participation being down, this happens when a team starts to lose.  Winning solves a ton of problems, including getting more kids on the team.  If PN-G continues to win, watch for their numbers to increase.  And that goes for any winning program in the district.

Now as for as the spark being gone, well, I'm not sure what's going on there.  What do you think the problem is?

Gotta agree with you Michael, it does seem as if some of the spark is gone. Cant say why but, participation is down. Look at the sidelines the numbers are low. With all that said, we were manhandled last nite.... on BOTH sides of the ball. I agree Fwood is a Contender, and we are not. IMO the talent pool is a little low. And as far as coaching goes, our staff has to be one of the best in the area. I remember not so long ago manhandling a good Fwood team,last nite they returned the favor.

Friendswood 42, Nederland 7 - Final

Nederland Overall: 1-2  District: 0-0

Friendswood Overall: 2-1  District: 0-0

Boxscore

Friday September 18, 2009 7:30pm

1 2 3 4 Total

Nederland    0 0 7 0 7

Friendswood 7 21 14 0 42

Scoring summary

FRI -- Jonathan Johnson 15-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 08:46, 1st.

FRI -- Sam Giamfortone 15-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 11:55, 2nd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 31-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 01:40, 2nd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 17-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 00:35, 2nd.

FRI -- Tanner Mertel 14-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 09:29, 3rd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 4-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 06:35, 3rd.

NED -- Brent Salenga 25-yard pass from Adam Atterberry (Taylor Trahan kick), 00:59, 3rd.

Team Stats

Nederland      Friendswood

Total yards          70                424

First downs          5                    23

Rushes/Yds        19/-18            42/221

Average rush      -0.95              5.26

Comp/Atts          10/25/0          17/27/0

Pass yards          88                  203

Comp pct            40                  62.96

Punts                  8                    3

Punting Yards      333                142

Punting Average  41.63              47.33

Fumbles/Lost      7/2                3/1

Penalties-yards    1-15              9-95

Nederland

Passing

Name              Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT

Adam Atterberry 10 24 41.67 80 1 0

Rushing

Name            Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Nick Cardenas 11 31 2.8 0 0

Receiving

Name        Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD

Ryan Brady 5 53 10.6 0 0

Nick Cardenas 1 8 8 0 0

Brent Salenga 3 27 9 0 1

Stephen Schlett 1 1 1 0 0

Friendswood

Passing

Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT

Peter Maetzold 13 22 59.09 170 3 0

Tyler O'Brian 3 4 75 41 0 0

Rushing

Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Andrew Cole 17 130 7.6 0 2

Receiving

Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD

Andrew Cole 2 50 25 0 1

Keith Canada 4 64 16 0 0

The community and mote importantly the player just don't seem to have the interest level or intensity that we had from 96-02. It's like we got to a certain level and got used to being there, then it felt like the kids were preparing and playing like they were gonna win just because they were good " last year", all of the sudden around -03-04 we started to have to really struggle to maintain t

that level of success and by the time Micah mosely came around, he just did not have enough athletes around him that were mentally and physically commiyed enough to really truly play powerhouse football as a whole team. As the team struggled the fans and parents lost their excitement and you felt the electricity just disappear completely after Micah graduated. Now all there is left is a team of relatively mosdestly conditioned and capable kids, fans that are dead at games compared to how it was. One seems to be feeding off the other and the result is falling back into very average uninteresting football. If we are ever going to be a force again, someone is going to have to find a way to muster that spark and intensity in the boys,,... And we as fans are going to have to be ready for it. Ready to ROCK the stands on Friday nights in support. What I say may not be necessary in other towns. But the spark that started with a 98 yard run against Sweeny in predistrict 1997 season and lit a fire of INSANITY that burned for 6 years is liken to whAt we need now. So what we need is someone to step up and defy genetics with hard work and determination that will inspire the 50 or so boys that take the field with him. Until they sell out again as a team and we get over ourselves and start getting crazy with support (re. Lumberton 07, Ned 97) we will have to settle for a respectable team of good kids that are content with mediocrity.

I think I understand the frustration about the fire and passion. We were told Nederland folks would be here at 5. We were told they would fill up the stands. Someone set out a bunch of extra chairs for people to sit in. I remember how loud Nederland was in Baseball. I remember how loud Nederland was last time they played football in FW. Folks - something has changed. The crowd was quiet, not nearly as many fans showed up as expected and have in the past, and the players did not have the same energy and passion as past Nederland teams. I know why you are frustrated. We did get all the breaks last nite, but I gotta believe this was just the worst possible nite you could have with out your number 2 Qb, bad timing. But I do not know aboout the rest, may be a bigger problem for football? But if you can have the passion and energy that we saw for baseball last spring - I think this is not a big issue. Good luck the rest of way! We will be rooting for you. I meet and talked with a bunch of great people last nite!

424 yards given up.  Ouch!  :(

Friendswood 42, Nederland 7 - Final

Nederland Overall: 1-2  District: 0-0

Friendswood Overall: 2-1  District: 0-0

Boxscore

Friday September 18, 2009 7:30pm

1 2 3 4 Total

Nederland    0 0 7 0 7

Friendswood 7 21 14 0 42

Scoring summary

FRI -- Jonathan Johnson 15-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 08:46, 1st.

FRI -- Sam Giamfortone 15-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 11:55, 2nd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 31-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 01:40, 2nd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 17-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 00:35, 2nd.

FRI -- Tanner Mertel 14-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zach Hardy kick), 09:29, 3rd.

FRI -- Andrew Cole 4-yard run (Zach Hardy kick), 06:35, 3rd.

NED -- Brent Salenga 25-yard pass from Adam Atterberry (Taylor Trahan kick), 00:59, 3rd.

Team Stats

Nederland       Friendswood

Total yards           70                 424

First downs           5                    23

Rushes/Yds         19/-18             42/221

Average rush       -0.95               5.26

Comp/Atts           10/25/0           17/27/0

Pass yards           88                   203

Comp pct            40                   62.96

Punts                  8                    3

Punting Yards       333                142

Punting Average   41.63              47.33