Senior Chauvin powers young Bear defense

KFDM COOP

Senior Chauvin powers young Bear defense

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — LITTLE CYPRESS - For Little Cypress-Mauriceville senior Jeremy Chauvin, he’s made a smooth transition this season and he’s enjoyed the Battlin’ Bears transition as well under the guidance of first-year head coach Randy Crouch.

Chauvin, who has moved to defensive end/rover this year from his old cornerback slot, has put together two solid games against both West Orange-Stark and Bridge City.

“Jeremy has been so solid, ever since we started practice,†said Crouch. “It’s not that easy, switching from cornerback to defensive end, but he’s done a superb job for us early on.â€

Chauvin was part of an LC-M (1-1) defensive unit that limited Bridge City to just 130 yards of total offense last week in a 16-0 win. The Cardinals managed just 46 yards on 22 carries as the Bears flushed the running attack.

Chauvin was thrilled with the effort in the trenches.

“We really played well up front last week and it paid off for us,†said Chauvin. “We have a very young team but we’re learning more and more every day from a great coaching staff. Our young guys have really stepped up and have played well and we’re just looking to get better every week.â€

There is certainly more contact now for Chauvin as he’s moved into the trenches for a defense that is allowing just 240 yards a game after two weeks of action.

“Football is going to be a contact sport, no matter what position you play,†said Chauvin. “Myself, I love the contact part of it. The biggest adjustment for me is learning all the different parts to the new position. I’m still learning more about my spot every day and the coaches have been great helping me out.â€

Crouch has enjoyed observing Chauvin and loves how he leads by example.

“Jeremy is not the type of kid that is rah-rah or will get in your face,†said Crouch. “He’s a leader by his actions on the field and his work ethic. The younger kids are always inspired by his play and he lifts everyone up in that way. Jeremy is a darn good athlete. He ran legs on our relay team in track. He moves around and flys to the football and he’s the type of kid that is willing to learn and soaks everything in.â€

The win over Bridge City was big for Chauvin and the ears. It marked the end of a 16-game losing streak.

“It felt so good to come away with a victory and we were sky-high for a couple days,†said Chauvin. “By the time Monday came around though, it was back to business. We just can’t rest on this one win. I think we’re a pretty good football team and the games are going to get a lot tougher.â€

The Bears hit the road four straight games, including a tough non-district contest at Cleveland (3-0) Friday night.

After facing five straight teams that run the spread offense, including their scrimmages, the Bears face a Cleveland unit that runs the Wing-T, which means they will run out a physical front line against the Bears and will more than likely run the ball 90 percent of time.

“It’s completely different from what we’ve seen all year, that’s for sure,†said Chauvin. “It’s an offense that we’ll see some of when district starts. The coaches keep telling us how tricky and quick that offense is. We’re going to have to play low to the ground and find the football.â€

Next week, LC-M opens up District 20-4A at Port Neches-Groves.

“I think, with these four straight road games, it will test our character,†said Chauvin. “After two games at home, the whole atmosphere is going to be different and it will be great for our young guys. It seems like our district has improved from last year so every week is going to be a mental and physical test for us. I think we’re ready for the challenge and we’re going to surprise some teams when district does start.â€

Jeremy Chauvin has been outstanding so far this season for the Bears!  I wish him and the Bears the best of luck the remainder of the year.

In the last paragraph of this article Jeremy says "I think with these next four road games, it will test our character."  I think this is a very fitting statement for this young man to make and maybe this young mans "character" is what is shining through now.  You have to respect the perseverance of the few seniors on this team who have continued to work hard through the last few years of termoil in Bear Country.

Congratulations Jeremy!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder