Greatest...

Guest Kelly Football

I'm a Baytown Sterling grad but made it to Liberty County as soon as I could!  The greatest game I could remember was my senior year in '85.  It was the last game of regular season and I believe it was for a play-off spot.  I don't remember the other team but they had just scored and it was 25-21 with 17 seconds left to play in the game.  The kick-off return was the most electrifying t/d run I had ever witnessed putting the Sterling Rangers on top!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

2000 png-nederland game. it came down 2 the wire with png missin the late field goal.

Wasn't that the last play of the game in the last game of the year? Joey Price kicked about a 48 yard attempt and it bounced off the upright.

do most Nederland fans... I think the harsh reality of it all was that the winner of that game was basically going to be the state champions.. Bay City blew out it next two opponents and won state...

Ohhhhhhh yeah. We beat Bay City that year... their only loss ;)

So how about THAT for the best game? WO-S vs. Bay City 2000. WO-S wins (10-7?) and hands Bay City its only defeat. Bay City wins state and ends the season 14-1, and WO-S advances to the state championship, where they lose their only game and end up 15-1. A future state champ and state finalist who end up with one-loss, play EVERY WEEK of the season and it's settled by less than 10 points.

Mark it down, baby ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Two greatest games I remember for my Silsbee Tigers.......

Silsbee vs Nederland '93  It was a see-saw battle with Silsbee's Jay McGuire getting 424 rushing yards plus a ton in special teams.  Silsbee won.

Silsbee vs Jasper '89   Jasper came in #2 in the state and left with a loss.

I was at that game when McGuire ran all over the place.

I was at that game when McGuire ran all over the place.

Yes, that was a great game. Actually McGuire had 454 yards rushing and around 600 yards all purpose that night with 6 td's. Final 48-44.

The funny thing about this was McGuire breaks his leg in the last regular season game against Jasper and then we face Nederland again in the first round of the playoffs. We thought we were doomed without Jay. But the Tiger coaches made some defensive changes and instead of playing zone coverage against Nederland they went man and blitzed on just about every down. Silsbee had about 10 sacks that game and won 34-7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm gonna throw a Jasper game out there that a few Bulldog fans might remember. We were hosting Huntsville in '89, who was state-ranked in 5A, and had one of the Clements boys (Chuck, I think) at QB. They had one of the most wide-open passing games going back then and Clements had a great night against us until Jasper's defense finally slowed them down in the 4th quarter. Jasper QB Ben Bronson kept Jasper in the game with several big plays and scored in the last two minutes to secure a 28-25 win. It was also Coach Walkoviak's 100th win in Jasper.

The 3-0 loss to WOS in 1987, the 21-15 loss in 1986 and the 10-10 tie with Hebert in 1980 were a lot more memorable, though. We've had a lot of big wins, but those two losses really hurt.

• 2 months later...

I wish I was old enough to remember watching a Lincoln game with Little Joe running.

Heard he was a special sight to watch.

As far as all time games, it still probably has to date back to the late 60's and early 70's when this area was putting out talent that made it all the way to the NFL.

I was born in 1966, so I really don't know of any important games, but I remember my dad telling me about them.

The streak PN-G had from 1974 to 1977 without losing one district game is amazing.

For Vidor fans, Vidor broke the PN-G streak in 1978, that game must have been something to see.

I wish I was old enough to remember watching a Lincoln game with Little Joe running.

As far as all time games, it still probably has to date back to the late 60's and early 70's when this area was putting out talent that made it all the way to the NFL.

I was born in 1966, so I really don't know of any important games, but I remember my dad telling me about them.

The streak PN-G had from 1974 to 1977 without losing one district game is amazing.

For Vidor fans, Vidor broke the PN-G streak in 1978, that game must have been something to see.

I AM old and I wasn't going here until I saw this post.

I was only 12 years old at the time (1972), but my grandfather took me to see Lincoln VS PNG...or "Little Joe" VS Jeff "the jet".  Even though it was a long time ago, two of the greatest area running backs of all time squared off in a great battle to see would could out last the other.  Huge numbers for both backs. 

I think that the last two or three years Vidor vs. Central have been barn burners!!  Also 1985 WOS 10 Beaumont French 7 at the Babe!!  1989 WOS 25 PNG 20 and WOS 32 Nederland 28 that same year!!  1988 Hamshire Fannett 21 Orangefield 14 in the Playoffs!!  My favorite all time is WOS 3 Jasper 0 in 1987!!  I would have loved to have seen Class 3A #1 ranked WOS vs Class 2A #1 ranked Newton in 2005, but Tropical Storm got that one!

I seen Lil Joe many times on Frid and Sat night. No one can come close to Lil Joe, past or present. Only guy who you could mentioned in the same breath imo would be Steve Worster of BC.

Yea what about Moore in Splendora who broke both their records? Which brings me to Splendora Vs Sealy in the playoffs. The best two running backs in the state.

No really First and second team all state Donald Moore and Eric dickerson. Dont remember the scores but the game was great. Of course i kinda bias.

I seen Lil Joe many times on Frid and Sat night. No one can come close to Lil Joe, past or present. Only guy who you could mentioned in the same breath imo would be Steve Worster of BC.

If you see a Vidor Pirate fan who remembers the 1978 season, ask them about "the Catch".  It wasn't Dwight Clark in the nfc championship, it was a Vidor receiver who caught the winning pass against PNG>          ;D

Our greatest games (during my school days and upward)

1991: Beat WO-S 28-24. This was back in the 5A days (which we were in during my four years in high school) and beating WO-S was the only win that season. You would have thought we won the Super Bowl the way the town reacted.

1994: 42-35 over PN-G. It was the most points we had scored all season and only our second win.

And, you knew this was coming...

2006: 28-24 (there is that score again. LOL!) over Nederland. Why Neuman did not send Mosley around the end I guess we'll ever know. Stuffed him at the line. Franklin to Walker and a good dose of Croak had Nederland's defensive coordinators scratching their heads in the second half.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder