Mustangs finding nice, early groove

Mustangs finding nice, early groove

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — WEST ORANGE - Long-time West Orange-Stark head coach Dan Hooks has pretty much always been happy about the first week of practice and how good of shape the Mustang players are in.

However, this year, he’s been most impressed by the turnout.

“We haven’t had this kind of turnout since our 4A days,†said Hooks. “We’ve got close to 40 freshmen out here. That’s our biggest turnout with that group since we were in 5A.â€

It was certainly different seeing the whole Mustang practice field littered with blue and white shirts with very little room to spare.

“What else can you say, our kids love football,†said Hooks. “They take so much pride in the program that’s established.â€

Monday, the first day of practice, went off without a hitch with the Mustangs getting in some early conditioning including the rough “Mustang Mile†before full practice started later in the evening.

“The kids really responded well,†said Hooks. “I guess about 75 percent of them were in excellent shape. You always have those few, but they’ll come around. It was hotter than nobody’s business but the kids are use to it and they adapt pretty well.â€

The players are adapting to some new coaches as well as Carl Broussard moved over from Port Neches-Groves while Mark Foreman came out of retirement to once again guide the WO-S secondary. Former Bridge City and Deweyville assistant Greg Bass has also returned to the area as well after being at Marlin.

“Coach Broussard and Coach Bass, they’re doing a great job,†said Hooks. “They’ve stepped right in. They both are so familiar with what we do and know our area so well. Coach Foreman, what else can you say about him. He’s always been a part of our backbone and he’s back to business as usual.â€

Coach Hooks is also thrilled to have an outstanding senior class that will look to extend the Mustangs’ current District 21-3A winning streak of 29.

One of them leading the way will be All-District defensive end Steven Cook. Cook has been a standout for two seasons and was part of a Mustang defense that allowed just 147.4 yards and 8.3 points a game in 2008.

“I think we have the potential to do a lot of positive things this year,†said Cook. “We’ve all been up here all summer working out and working hard. We’ve got a good senior class that is real tight and we’ve been winning together for so long now. The best thing about us is that we don’t let anyone get the big head. We’re all about being a team and doing things the Mustang way.â€

The Mustangs will be busy at practice, trying to replace six defensive starters but Cook likes what lies ahead in the future.

“We’ve got some young guys that are very, very good, they just need to learn their different responsibilities and where to go in certain situations,†said Cook. “Coach (Cornel) Thompson will make sure of that. It’s also great to have Coach (Mark) Foreman back. Those two know their business like no others. We’ve got the potential to be very good on defense again.â€

The Mustangs will scrimmage Dayton at home Aug. 15 starting with the freshmen at 5 p.m. followed by the JV (6 p.m.) and the varsity (7 p.m.). They will also go to Vidor for a scrimmage Aug. 21 to face the Pirates with the times also being 5 p.m. for the freshmen followed by the JV (6 p.m.) and varsity (7 p.m.).

“Those two scrimmages, we’ll learn a lot from them,†said Hooks. “Dayton will spread our defense out, much like Silsbee and Bridge City will do in district. Then a darn good Vidor team will throw that Wing-T stuff at us, much like Hamshire and Orangefield will. It’s going to be good for us.â€

The Mustangs open the 2009 campaign at home Aug. 28 against the Nederland Bulldogs.

From the sounds of it we may have us a Gilmer vs Wos meeting again.  ;D Glad to hear that Coach Mark is back and wish the best for the Stangs.

From the sounds of it we may have us a Gilmer vs Wos meeting again.  ;D Glad to hear that Coach Mark is back and wish the best for the Stangs.

Coach Foreman is EXACTLY what we need in the case that we meet Gilmer again.  His experience coaching the secondary and defending that pass attack will be just what the doctor ordered. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086

• I will never understand why someone cares what decisions a family makes regarding their own child? Maybe Joe Burrow learns great life lessons from burning up all his eligibility sitting behind Justin Fields at Ohio State but I’m sure him and his family feel like they made the right decision by transferring to LSU, becoming the #1 pick and now being the highest paid QB in NFL history. Same for Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts at their first stops.    I think it was more beneficial for Reggie Branch to transfer to Crosby and end up having an opportunity to play for a state title versus staying at GCM and learning life lessons while he loses and probably doesn’t go D1 because his team is a perennial loser. If Robinson throws for 2k yards this year it’s going to be a lot better for his recruitment purposes than sitting on the bench at BH, not to mention he’s going to get significant looks because of the kids he’s on the team with and the offers/commitments they’ve already made. He’s not being taught to run from competition, he’s being taught to gamble on himself just like all those other guys I mentioned did. 
    • You have found Utopia. I live in the real world.
    • Every Yuppie wants one.  Give me a V-8 with loud pipes, and they can have their electric vehicles.  Was working a major incident one day and we had a road blocked off.  Police vehicles with lights going and a kid pulls up in a Tesla.  He - let me stress that HE is sobbing uncontrollably because he is at 5% battery life and HAS to go down the road we have blocked to get to a charging station.  He pulled over and literally threw a temper tantrum because we would not let him through.  
    • Have you noticed that it's always the libs that bring up race?  For a long time now whenever a lib is losing an argument or have nothing else to say they bring up racism.  Or something silly like institutional racism.  LOL!
    • Ha!  Whatever that means!  
  • Topics