TPW Commission Authorizes Crossbows for Early Archery Season

TPW Commission Authorizes Crossbows for Early Archery Season

AUSTIN, Texas — In preparation for implementation of new legislation, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has adopted rules allowing hunters to use crossbows during the upcoming special archery-only hunting season and authorizing persons with documented physical disabilities to use laser sighting devices.

Currently, crossbows cannot be used during an archery-only season except by persons with an upper-limb disability. Recent legislative action gave authority to  the Commission to allow any person, regardless of physical ability, to use a crossbow during the archery-only season, provided the person has acquired an archery stamp and a valid Texas hunting license, except in Grayson County. Crossbows may be used in Grayson County during the special archery-only open season (Oct. 3-Nov. 6) only by hunters with an upper-limb disability who possess a physician’s statement attesting to the permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand or arm in a manner that renders a person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow or recurved bow. Any person, regardless of physical ability, may use a crossbow during the general season in Grayson County (Nov. 7-Jan. 3).

The Commission also authorized use of laser sighting devices by persons with a physical disability that renders the person incapable of using traditional firearm sights to hunt game animals and game birds. The provision is limited to lawful hunting hours in open seasons, provided the person possesses a physician’s or optometrist’s statement certifying the extent of the disability. The person must also be assisted by a person who does not have a physical disability, has a hunting license and is at least 13 years of age.

The new crossbow and laser sighting rules are both the result of bills passed by state lawmakers in the 81st Texas Legislature earlier this year. The new rules take effect Sept. 1, 2009.

Anyone planning to take advantage of the new crossbow opportunity during the special archery-only hunting season this October should review the rules and definitions for crossbow hunting in Texas. These are listed under Means and Methods in the Outdoor Annual booklet available at hunting license sales locations and on the TPWD Web site.

Media Contact: Steve Lightfoot, 512-389-4701, [email protected]

July 24, 2009

This is the hidden content, please

I like that... the TPWD "authorizes" the crossbows. The state legislature forced them to authorize it.

This has really been beaten up on the LoneStar Bowhunters and Texas Bowhunters bulletin boards for the last few months. Talk about some strong feelings on both sides.

Well, at least I get to set the rules on my own lease.  No crossbows!   Defeats the purpose of the whole archery season.

I keep hearing that but I don't think so.

The same argument was made by traditional hunters when compounds came out. With their peep sights, trigger releases and 80% let off, there are people that said it would ruin archery. It did not.

There is the argument that it takes away from the need to practice. That is certainly true to some extent but again, what about compounds compared to traditional? How many deer or what percentage of deer are wounded and not recovered by compound users that break out their bow two weeks before the season and crank off a few shots to remember if they "still have it"?

I love archery only season because unlike the opening of the general season, it doesn't sound like WWIII in the woods. I hunt on a lease outside of Chester and maybe hunt at least 600 yards from the closest other hunter. When he shoots a deer with his compound bow, I don't know it. If he decides to shoot a deer this year with a crossbow, I still won't know it.

I own four bows, one of which is a recurve. I don't anticipate buying a crossbow for any reason but if a guy on my lease wants one, does it really change anything that I do at my stand or what I hear? I just don't see it as an issue. If it gets more people involved in hunting for whatever reason, it is all good with me. I don't think hunters should be pitted against each other. Archery only season will still be quiet. If a guy kills a deer with an Xbow 100 yards away from you, you will not know it unless he tells you.

I see it as a lot of snobbery on the archery bulletin boards with people that claim they "earned" their hunting privileges by practicing more. Again, traditional shooters could make the same claim against compounds. Modern compounds have gone so far above recurves and long bows that they are almost different weapons. New compound bows are just about a firearm that is hand drawn with speeds closing in on true 350 feet per second bows. Crossbows that have been around for hundreds of years are simply another hunting tool..... in my opinion.

Archery only is almost voluntary anyway as a lease can go through MLD and gun hunt in Octorber through February. We had it offered to us on our lease by our biologist who would get with TPWD and help set it up. With the new antler restrictions in most of east Texas now, there is almost no reason not to go through MLD since the typical east Texas hunter can't kil the first two 4 pointers he sees.

But, if someone doesn't like crossbows, that is for them to decide on their lease. That is what the pro crossbow hunters brought up time and again during the debate. Many bowhunters and bowhunting groups fought long and hard to stop the law but each lease can decide if they want to allow it on their lease so what is the issue anyway? That is not the same as guns during archery season with most east Texas leases not being that large and gun hunters are banging away all around whether they are on your lease or not.

You are probably right about the compounds.  They are much easier to shoot than the traditional stuff.  But, hunting with a bow, requires not just a well placed shot, but also the experience needed just to get the bow up and drawn, without getting busted by a wary animal.  You lose that with a crossbow.  It's already drawn.  Point and shoot, which makes it closer to a rifle.

I always feel comfortable once I get the bow drawn.  Shooting is the easy part.  Like I say, it doesn't affect me because we set our own lease rules.  I just like to feel that i am being rewarded(with extra hunting time) for the effort of learning to shoot a bow.  Having never shot a crossbow. I don't know if it requires practice or not, but I get the impression that it's pretty simple.

You are probably right about the compounds.  They are much easier to shoot than the traditional stuff.  But, hunting with a bow, requires not just a well placed shot, but also the experience needed just to get the bow up and drawn, without getting busted by a wary animal.  You lose that with a crossbow.  It's already drawn.  Point and shoot, which makes it closer to a rifle.

I always feel comfortable once I get the bow drawn.  Shooting is the easy part.  Like I say, it doesn't affect me because we set our own lease rules.  I just like to feel that i am being rewarded(with extra hunting time) for the effort of learning to shoot a bow.   Having never shot a crossbow. I don't know if it requires practice or not, but I get the impression that it's pretty simple.

That is kind of the argument that I see on the bowhunting forums. What you call a "reward", they believe is time they have "earned" and not people that don't practice enough. I know people however, that almost never practice with their compounds and hunt anyway.

It doesn't matter to me either way but I am not so sure that hunters have to earn or get rewarded for the right to hunt. Look at people that go to south Texas and hunt over feeders that someone else put i place. They spend $8,000 for a three day hunt where someone else has done all of the work. They simply get up, eat a steak and eggs breakfast and go shoot a deer. While that is not how I want to get a trophy, I certainly don't want to take that away from them. That plays right into the antihunters/antigun people's hands by getting hunters and outdoorsmen to go against each other.

So, if someone wants to shoot with a crossbow and that is what it takes to get them involved, so be it. Let them have the choice and I love the separate archery season as it is much quieter but having a crossbow nearby doesn't bother me.

I notice that a lot of people on the bowhunting forums were longtime compound shooters and have switched to recurves or long bows. Getting close to enough deer and killing enough with their bows, they have gone for more challenge. I am wondering if crossbows might do the same thing. I suspect that a lot of people will get crossbows and hunt one season and quit. They will still have to go out and scout, set up blinds close to their potential target and be fairly still and quiet. There won't be setting up a feeder 120 yards away and resting in a box blind while waiting for a shot while drinking Cokes and eating cookies and maybe checking email. They will still need to get within 40 yards or so for a clean kill. The ones that actually like it and see that it can be done might eventually opt for compounds when they find out that they can actually get with 10-15 yards of a deer and don't need a scope at that range.

• 4 months later...
I am not quite old enough to remember the first "Archery Only" season in Alberta.  I do recall a time when purchasing a "Bow Licence" got you a tag that you could put on any big game you shot with a bow.  Apparently the rifle hunters didnt think the bow hunters should have the extra tag and it was discontinued.

So why is there a special early "Archery Only" season?
With a "bow" one must get a lot closer to game and then most often there is just one shot from a one shot weapon.  So it is harder than hunting with a modern, smokeless powder rifle. 

If you look at a crossbow, it requires a hunter to get close to game and then have one shot from a one shot weapon.  It is harder hunting with a crossbow than with a modern smokeless powder rifle.  I dont think we need to argue about which is more effective or easier to use.  a vertical bow or a crossbow The fact remains that Vertical bows are not as easy and effective as rifles and crossbows are also not as easy and effective as rifles.  If vertical bows really "deserve" a special early season them crossbows do too.

Robin

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124