Basketball Recruiting

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played as a sophomore on their 2007-2008 team.  Roc has been known to take guys who didn't finish junior college until after their eligibility was up.  I think Sanders and Todd came a year after the year for which they were originally signed.

The Tulsa World link is

This is the hidden content, please
Go down to where it says boys basketball.  There's nothing there but a list but it is from earlier this year.

I have come to the conclusion that LU is not signing anybody any good........if they had they would have announced it already............looks like a down year for LU!!!!!  Hope I am wrong......

I am with you on this one, LAZEEK. No way he sits on a list this long that is any good. I feel that Roc is trying to prolong the embarassment of this year's recruiting class. Either it's that, or he is trying to get some players academically qualified and they are needing the last summer sessions to get it done. That's not a good sign neither.

This is the last year that that I am giving Roc..............he has brought in a few good players, won a few games, but still has not done what he said he would do and what the LU fans want..........WIN CONFERENCE!!!!!!  I am still bitter about the way that they handle Deane and I will always be looking for a new coach if he is not performing well.

God, I hope we are not going back into this... ::) ::) ::)

Back to topic.  I heard last night the CJ Busby won't be playing at Lamar next season.  Heard he will either sit out next season (like Moton this year) or go D2 because of academic issues he had at Lee JC.

Deane sucked... Played boring basketball and did not win games... Roc atleast has a co-conference championship in 07..

I agree Roc needs to get some wins this year or we should be looking else where

I would like for you to compare Deane vs. Roc's record!!!!!  Different styles of play, different styles of coaching (except for the cussing) and the same results...................500 basketball!!!!!!!

So we agree!!!!!! :D :D

I like Roc, but the results have been no different than Deane.............and Deane won the Conference Tourney in his first year.........yes I know a bunch of players that were not his......yadda, yadda, yadda!!!!!  You still have to win the games!!!

Guest coachacola

Pat Foster wanted to come back.  He's in Houston not doing anything.  Maybe if Roc doesn't cut it then Lamar can start recycling it's old coaches.  Tubbs already had his turn.  Recycling is the "in" thing to do you know!!

I was not around when Tony Branch was at LU... What happened with him?

To make a long story short, Tony was promoted when Abatemarco left.  Possibly not ready for head coaching spot, but who really knows as he didn't have a full chance and I am not sure that he had adequate budget to work with.  In addition he was basketball coach during the season when football was dropped and there were a lot of hard feelings in the community that he had to deal with.  Some of you "youngsters" may not know but Tony is the son-in-law of legendary PA Lincoln coach James Gamble.  Rather than give Tony a real chance, the powers that be at LU at that time hired Mike Newell and that (to my way of thinking) definitely did not work out as expected.

Also, just my opinion, but I am afraid that Roc may turn out to be the same same situation as Tom Abatemarco (though Steve does not have the abrasive personality).  Abatemarco came in to Lamar with the reputation of a great recruiter from a big time program and many of the boosters seem to have felt that he would bring the same level of recruits to Lamar.  No such luck. 

Finally I agree with someone else about how good Roc really is....................anyone can recruit at Memphis, but you will not get any of those kids or anyone near as good as those kids to come to Lamar when they can go to a big time school.

Guest abovetherim

Well, I think four years is enough time to get the program off the ground and make some noise in the SLC. Now, Coach Roc needs to prove he is more than a good recruiter and show his status as a "coach". Lamar leads the league in attendance and last season the Cardinals did not make the conference tournament.

There are no more excuses. Plus, some of the things off the court are starting to get on my nerves. Example: release the signing class please.

I think Coach Roc will have 2 more years to get things going like he did in 08, just hopefully carry them out to March this time. I'm definitely not happy about how James Davis, or some of last years injuries, have dragged us down but his guys play hard basketball and I do think if we give him some more time than it'll turn around.

If not, give Billy Clyde a chance to get back in and add some bulk to his resume as returning Lamar back to being a "basketball powerhouse". (For you TT)  ;D

I'm not a frequent poster on this site, but I'm old enough to remember every LU basketball coach all the way back to Jack Martin. I think ROC is the guy that we need. Like Jimmy Simmons, he's one of us. We had to go through some very bad years in Lamar leadership until we got a Pres that understands us and is not embarrassed by S/E Texas. ROC's game coaching is debateable for sure, but we need some stability...and he has a good staff...I don't want to go thru another Tom A. or Mike Deane and the like who never really liked Beaumont. Deane, fired early by Marquette, only had one good year when he inherited Grey G's seniors. He hasn't exactly lit it up at Wagner since either, has he? His greatest contribution to Lamar was teaching every local kid on the first 10 rows of the Montagne a whole new way to talk! I don't know why exactly ROC won't disclose his recruiting class, but I for one am giving him the benefit of doubt. Next season won't be much about recruits anyway...my opinion is that its all about who's gonna play the 5 spot. Can Custer and/or Nuevo step up and get 'er done? If not...let's talk 2010/2011..........

I too am disappointed in the progression of the program and think we need to see progress but everyone needs to understand and some of us older ones remember that to kick start a program you have to get lucky.  Read how Clarence Key and Mike Oliver arrived at Lamar.  My disappointment is that the three years Roc was recruitting for Tubbs we brought in multiple 6' 10" players who while they did not live up to their potential gave us a solid base even without a decent point guard.  Last two recruitting classes signed mostly 5' 10" point guards.  We need a balance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont