LU football being overshadowed by UTSA

UTSA and Texas State have the luxury of larger student bodies so they can use those student fees to support a move to FBS, even without much community support.  Lamar will have to depend to ticket sales and donations to fund a move to FBS.  But why go FBS if there's no community support?  If we see sellouts and a need to expand the stadium then Lamar will go FBS as soon as they can.

or the community shows very little interest in jv ball and is waiting for FBS to show full support..

Both... They are a commuter school at it's finest. No one gives 2 craps about UTSA, just look at their attendance for their sports.

Ya right.  ???

Lets see some numbers. It's just the stepping stone to UT.

be nice now mr mod.  8)

UTSA and Texas State have the luxury of larger student bodies so they can use those student fees to support a move to FBS, even without much community support.  Lamar will have to depend to ticket sales and donations to fund a move to FBS.  But why go FBS if there's no community support?  If we see sellouts and a need to expand the stadium then Lamar will go FBS as soon as they can.

27,000 students at TX State

28,000 students at UTSA

13,000 students at Lamar

School census makes a big difference.

Both... They are a commuter school at it's finest. No one gives 2 craps about UTSA, just look at their attendance for their sports.

Ya right.  ???

be nice now mr mod.  8)

Nothing personal now... just get a little defensive sometimes when talking my Cardinals. That's all.

Ya right.  ???

be nice now mr mod.  8)

Nothing personal now... just get a little defensive sometimes when talking my Cardinals. That's all.

You know, I hate people in this area who bad mouth LU. Get out of this area and people respect Lamar grads. What is wrong with this area? Are people jealous?

I hear Lamar has TCU, A&M, and Oklahoma State on the schedule within the first 5 years. I believe there is 2 other FBS teams on that list also.

This month's progress report...

With two more months until UTSA can reopen contacts with recruits on Sept. 1, Roadrunners coach Larry Coker turned his attention to more practical matters — purchasing a technology system, feeling out potential assistants, looking into scheduling options and his first summer camp.

This is the hidden content, please

For those seeking scheduling tidbits...

Georgia State, the new program in Atlanta, they’re a year ahead of us, but we’ll probably play them the first few years, a game in the Georgia Dome and they’ll be here in the Alamodome. Nothing we can confirm yet, but we have some contracts out. We’ve contacted some of the schools in the Southland (Conference) — I’m not going to be specific. Monterrey Tech called and was interested in playing us. No contracts out, but we have been in contact with them. I don’t know much about the structure in Mexico, but I do know they’ve got a good team. They’d probably come up here; we wouldn’t play them in Monterrey.

• 4 weeks later...

UTSA gets more students from Houston than San Antonio for quite some time

Not just that, but NCAA football in SA has no competion unlike basketball. I would love to go to a game in the afternoon then walk across the street to the riverwalk and kickback with a cervaza and some enchilladas!

UTSA gets more students from Houston than San Antonio for quite some time

Not just that, but NCAA football in SA has no competion unlike basketball. I would love to go to a game in the afternoon then walk across the street to the riverwalk and kickback with a cervaza and some enchilladas!

we will try to win over the UT and A&M crowds...but i hope to grow into the younger generation and to be embraced by the community....if you talk to people around town they are pretty excited even if they didnt go to UTSA

• 2 months later...
Guest 4x4OffRoad

The Southland is a tough league to get into. But both teams have plenty of recruiting rich areas to draw talent from. Should be interesting.

Wreck'em Tech

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="mikej" post="658882" timestamp="1254203670"]
Larry Coker & UTSA Football got an original article in today's New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/sports/ncaafootball/29coker.html
[/quote] 8) Go Runners

we have around 17 or 18 verbal commits so far, less than 100 days until our first National Signing Day!  (i think?)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124