LU football being overshadowed by UTSA

It sure seems like UTSA is getting way more press then LU on the football front... Is it just because of Larry Cocker.... or because they are in a bigger city?  I mean we always pull in way more folks to our athletic events then they do and we have had way more success in almost all sports then they have had...

As much as this disheartens MFFL...UTSA is getting more pub and in fact, Larry Coker has been on several major media outlets both around the state of Texas and nationally. Why is UTSA getting more pub...?

1) Larry Coker

2) They are making a move for FBS, having mentioned C-USA numerous times

3) Being in a major city

4) They are competing for and beating several BCS conferences for talent

5) The Alamodome

6) Lack of any other Div I program in SA, a major city

7) Re-development of San Antonio - multi-million dollar sports facility that could include joint arena partnership with SA-area school district at a cost of $80-100M.

Georgia State is actually also getting a lot more publicity on the national level than Lamar and arguably (thanks in large part to ESPN Magazine) more than UTSA.

Guest coachacola

Since UTSA has the Alamodome and Georgia State has the Georgia Dome, maybe Beaumont can buy the Astrodome real cheap since it's not being used anymore and move it to downtown Beaumont.  Since they're buying up empty lots, they just need to buy up a few more and put the Astrodome there.  They'll have to change the name to the SpindletopDome or something, but that will make a lot of headlines and Lamar will get a lot of publicity!  :o

Both... They are a commuter school at it's finest. No one gives 2 craps about UTSA, just look at their attendance for their sports.

Ya right.  ???

Both... They are a commuter school at it's finest. No one gives 2 craps about UTSA, just look at their attendance for their sports.

Ya right.  ???

Lets see some numbers. It's just the stepping stone to UT.

Guest coachacola

Can we also get numbers on USF's attendance before they added football?

Football changes a lot of things and rubs off on the school and the rest of the athletic department...

That's why Lamar is bringing back football.  It doesn't bother me that UTSA and Georgia State or getting more attention now.  What matters is 5 years from now when the novelty wears off and it's all about winning.

The only reason I brought this up is we are flying under the radar and we are probably going to average a higher attendance rate than most of the SLC and UTSA... even with Larry Cocker.. and the Alamodome.... and we will probably have more long term success than these schools.

We are taking a much more measured approach and not going with the attitude of if you build it they will come..     

Guest DickVitale

Thats an easy one. UTSA hired LARRY COKER from THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, who has a national championship. LU has Ray Woodard from Navarro Junior College....Not that Coach Woodard is not a good coach, but you asked why they were getting more press RIGHT NOW....This would be a big reason why. San Antonio is also a major city, and Beaumont is....Beaumont.  Just know that press will write stories and cover things THEY THINK will be of interest to the public. It will not determine how the team will fare when it hits the field.

The only reason I brought this up is we are flying under the radar and we are probably going to average a higher attendance rate than most of the SLC and UTSA... even with Larry Cocker.. and the Alamodome.... and we will probably have more long term success than these schools.

We are taking a much more measured approach and not going with the attitude of if you build it they will come..     

Similar to TXST - the Roadrunners are investing tons of money into a move to FBS. I think both programs will be FBS for at least 5-10 years before Lamar sniffs the level, if ever. We're talking about programs who are building it up now and if you are talking long-term success, when is that...20, 40, 60 years from now?

I think we will move up much faster than you think... The first 2 years will be the deciding factor on how fast we make the move... IE ticket sales and performance in the FCS ranks... We will not be happy staying in the SLC...

I agree AJ25... We need to have the winning attitude at LU again...

Are they gonna start serving alchohol at athletic events anytime soon???

Has any one heard when they are gonna start selling the LU Football gear and releasing the uni's

Guest coachacola

UTSA and Texas State have the luxury of larger student bodies so they can use those student fees to support a move to FBS, even without much community support.  Lamar will have to depend to ticket sales and donations to fund a move to FBS.  But why go FBS if there's no community support?  If we see sellouts and a need to expand the stadium then Lamar will go FBS as soon as they can.

Has any one heard when they are gonna start selling the LU Football gear and releasing the uni's

Other than event specific point of sale, I haven't seen anything LU Football related for sale online.

In fact, watching the College World Series NCAA promo's regarding  

This is the hidden content, please
made me want to check it out.   Nothing at all for Lamar out of the 400+.  The good news is you can get some good Sam and McNeese gear (and UTSA and .....)

This is the hidden content, please

I wish we would get out and do some self promotion... IE scrimage UH at home or something prior to the season... Or Scrimage McNEese Prior to the season... just to get people interested and also get some LU gear out...

I wish we would get out and do some self promotion... IE scrimage UH at home or something prior to the season... Or Scrimage McNEese Prior to the season... just to get people interested and also get some LU gear out...

Do not believe such thing is allowed against programs like that, who are already established. Do not think those programs would want to do that to begin with due to injury potential...

As I said before, LU turned away at least one, if not two teams interested in playing a game against Lamar - similar to what South Alabama is doing this year against eight opponents.

This doesn't bother me at all - there are plenty of successfuy programs that exist in the shadow of other schools.  Texas Tech exists in the shadow of Texas, Auburn exists in the shadow of Bama, Georgia Tech exists in Georgia's shadow.  Michgan STate/Michigan, OSU/OU, etc.  Each of these schools has shown that success can be head even from the shadows.

Just go out and win and the press will come.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn