WHAT IS THE #1 ATTRIBUTE FOR A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Mental toughness!! Wos, Southlake Carroll, Celina, Katy all of these schools have different types of kids, run different schemes, some have size, some have speed,some don't have much of either, but everyone of those teams have kids who are mentally tough. Kids who will work, are coachable, I quess the best way to say it is kids who believe in the program and are willing to pay the price. A kid can have all the attributes in the world, if he is not mentally tough,he can't play for these guys.

Mental toughness!! Wos, Southlake Carroll, Celina, Katy all of these schools have different types of kids, run different schemes, some have size, some have speed,some don't have much of either, but everyone of those teams have kids who are mentally tough. Kids who will work, are coachable, I quess the best way to say it is kids who believe in the program and are willing to pay the price. A kid can have all the attributes in the world, if he is not mentally tough,he can't play for these guys.

Well said...

I have a friend who played for Celina and then later on came to coach there during the championship run they had. He always talks about how they may not always have the biggest or strongest or fastest kids but the kids that they did have worked hard and had a true desire to be known as being the best not in Celina but in the state.

I remember that my own coaches in high school telling us when we were in JH about to enter HS that it is okay to win things like All District awards and get patches and stuff but if you can put a ring on that finger it would speak volumes to pretty much anyone you meet.

Speed is great if it is on a real football player, I've  seen alot of fast guys who couldn't play a lick. I played with a SWC high hurdle champion who couldn't catch a cold and was timid going across the middle,he was the fastest guy on the team. If guys are willing to work, be coached ,and learn how to play the game then I would hope all of them are burners, but if not they are just track stars. ;)

I agree MMSLB,

Speed and strength and all those other things are great, but if there is no discipline, character and if they are not coachable you have nothing.  That should be evedent in a few schools in our area, all the talent and speed in the world and can't hardly win a game.

ok,  "speed" wins with "big chin" and "bowed legs" tied for second place. so now all we need to do is determan which team in 3A is the fastest in the state.  i think i will need to get that information from my best friend "SKIPPER"  HE WILL KNOW.

i always look for a team player,someone smart and dose what he was told to do not what he would like.i do not like show offs no place for them but in the stands i love a kid that loves to play lights out football no fear.ok now speveto i do belive most of the gays and gals on the board know what team this year has the speed so i will not go there.ok now, i forgot what year it was when wo-s won state on a BIG HIT by this one kid forgot his name sorry,he hit this running back from mc kenny i think .give me a bunch like him and you got one heck of a team

Bear Bryant sent a coach to scout High School players, the coach asked Bryant what kind of players should I look for. Bryant said you know the kid where one player knocks one player down and  he gets up and the next play he gets knocked down again and he gets up again, then it happens again and he gets up.The coach stops Bryant and says I get it you want a kid that keeps getting up and fighting no matter how many times he gets knocked down, then Bryant said no bring me the guy who keeps knocking him down!! 8)

Bear Bryant sent a coach to scout High School players, the coach asked Bryant what kind of players should I look for. Bryant said you know the kid where one player knocks one player down and  he gets up and the next play he gets knocked down again and he gets up again, then it happens again and he gets up.The coach stops Bryant and says I get it you want a kid that keeps getting up and fighting no matter how many times he gets knocked down, then Bryant said no bring me the guy who keeps knocking him down!! 8)

Priceless!  Look at what he did in Junction...may not have been the most talented bunch when he left but those boys had heart and would die (almost did in Juncton) on that field if it meant winning!  Speed, bowed legs, and big chins are great but heart almost always trumps those three.  Look at what Permian did in '88 "Friday Night Lights"  Not the biggest, fastest or strongest but made one hell of a run in that season on....you guesed it.  HEART!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83