UT/USM Thread (HORNS WIN 7-6!!!)

First of all, I felt like I was watching a high school game last night but...congrats to TU.  You got the win.  But every other team in your bracket wants you now.  And for what it's worth...I agree with just about everything "team first" has said, although he could have been a little more tactful.  Texas just flat can't hit and they will get exposed tommorrow night.  They were luck to have had Southern Miss. for their first game.  

Lucky to have So. Miss.? Did you see who Miss. beat to get here? Man, some people just don't realize what it takes to be the #1 seed and have everyone gunning for you. Nobody said this was going to be easy, but I'll stick with my Longhorns. Close games are part of it. Knowing how to win them takes patience and staying focused. I can guarantee you that Garrido told his batters to be patient, after the fly out, until their pitcher showed he could throw a strike in that last inning. That kid was rattled the inning before. Kudos to Garrido for coaching his players to victory.

Yep, I also saw who you beat (Texas State, Boston College, and Army).  That's a tough road to hoe right there.

LSU beat Minnesota, Baylor, and Southern U, that's a tough row to hoe.  ::)

The thing is, you said we were lucky to get Miss. as our first game. I said did you see who Miss. beat to get here? They're tough.

we also had to play Rice in our Super...and they are arguably a top 8 seed (they got screwed).

I gotcha.  Whatever let's you sleep at night...in my opinion I just don't think Texas has a very good offence.

Texas does not have a very good offense........hence the small ball. Go figure.  :o

Horns win w/ pitching and defense....that's no secret.

HOOK 'EM

It may not be flashy but I love small ball baseball and it works to perfection in Austin.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I felt like I was watching a high school game last night but...congrats to TU.  You got the win.  But every other team in your bracket wants you now.  And for what it's worth...I agree with just about everything "team first" has said, although he could have been a little more tactful.  Texas just flat can't hit and they will get exposed tommorrow night.  They were luck to have had Southern Miss. for their first game.  

Lucky to have So. Miss.? Did you see who Miss. beat to get here? Man, some people just don't realize what it takes to be the #1 seed and have everyone gunning for you. Nobody said this was going to be easy, but I'll stick with my Longhorns. Close games are part of it. Knowing how to win them takes patience and staying focused. I can guarantee you that Garrido told his batters to be patient, after the fly out, until their pitcher showed he could throw a strike in that last inning. That kid was rattled the inning before. Kudos to Garrido for coaching his players to victory.

Yep, I also saw who you beat (Texas State, Boston College, and Army).  That's a tough road to hoe right there.

The thing is, you said we were lucky to get Miss. as our first game. I said did you see who Miss. beat to get here? They're tough.

we also had to play Rice in our Super...and they are arguably a top 8 seed (they got screwed).

I gotcha.  Whatever let's you sleep at night...in my opinion I just don't think Texas has a very good offence.

Rice is always tough and I thought they might surprise you. Hey, but you pulled it off. About this small ball crap. Please tell me which team in this tournament would not like the luxury of having a man on 2nd with 1 out? Also, we bunted for a double and a HR. That's not easy to do.

Rice is always tough and I thought they might surprise you. Hey, but you pulled it off. About this small ball crap. Please tell me which team in this tournament would not like the luxury of having a man on 2nd with 1 out? Also, we bunted for a double and a HR. That's not easy to do.

I understand small ball just fine...it is just boring.  Look, I am just not a UT fan and will argue whatever type of baseball you play at that time.  LSU has always had an exciting offence...hopefully always will...

Don't yap about LSU's schedule, and how easy Texas had it when the numbers (RPI) don't back you up.  If you're going to argue a point, ie. tougher schedule, then at least do your homework and look it up first.

I understand rpi and seedings just fine...Do you?  3 of the top 5 RPI teams lost their first game of the CWS.  You guys are putting to much stock into these #1 seedings and rpi's.  The SEC has 2 teams in the CWS (that are undefeated at this point...and beat 2 teams that were ahead of them in RPI).  You do your freakin' homework pal.  RPI means squat at this point.

Don't yap about LSU's schedule, and how easy Texas had it when the numbers (RPI) don't back you up.  If you're going to argue a point, ie. tougher schedule, then at least do your homework and look it up first.

I understand rpi and seedings just fine...Do you?  3 of the top 5 RPI teams lost their first game of the CWS.  You guys are putting to much stock into these #1 seedings and rpi's.  The SEC has 2 teams in the CWS (that are undefeated at this point...and beat 2 teams that were ahead of them in RPI).  You do your freakin' homework pal.  RPI means squat at this point.

I think instead of putting any stock into the #1 seeding, as you put it....I'll just go w/.....what your opinion. Not.

Let's all hope for a Gorilla ball vs small ball matchup in the championship... Maybe steak dinners and liquid libations at stake ( no pun intended)...and someone can talk smack while the other eats crow. Help me out here fellow Horns.

HOOK 'EM !

This thread is interesting!  After watching the game last night I realized a few things.  S. Miss has a pretty dang good ball club that can flat out hit.  Both bullpens looked suspect.  Texas is known for their pitching and it was gone last night.  When Wood came in I thought it was over and they would rebound to take the game by a couple....I was way off.  I know all that matters is that you win by one but look at it rationally.  I am a fan of small ball and hitting machines but Texas was exposed a little bit last night with their small ball.  If you can get ahead of them in the count it takes them out of their game a bit....this ALL depends on what said opposing pitcher can do on that given night. The only other thing that got me a bit ws the way they acted when So Miss walked in the run.  They acted as if they won a NC....that worried me a bit because they didn't play Texas ball and came all around getting beat!  They made too many small mistakes.  They didn't show up So Miss and I understand that emotions were running high but I expected a little more out of a Garrido team, concidering how lucky they got last night.  That game was given to them in the 9th.  They better play with alot more when the face ASU or they will find themselves in the losers bracket. 

I don't think they acted as if they won the NC. They acted the way they should have. They got out of a tight jam with a good team. Getting ahead in the count is what any team tries to do. Texas had one bad inning (just like Garrido told them, and to get over it). Had Miss. won, would you say it was handed to them? (which it would have been). Nothing has been ''exposed'' for Texas. Some games the pitching is ''on'' and some it ain't. That's not being exposed, that's just baseball.

Here's some info I pulled up for the last 11 games....

LSU - 87 total runs.

Texas - 84 total runs. That small ball sure can rack 'em up.  ;D

Hook 'Em !!!

I don't think they acted as if they won the NC. They acted the way they should have. They got out of a tight jam with a good team. Getting ahead in the count is what any team tries to do. Texas had one bad inning (just like Garrido told them, and to get over it). Had Miss. won, would you say it was handed to them? (which it would have been). Nothing has been ''exposed'' for Texas. Some games the pitching is ''on'' and some it ain't. That's not being exposed, that's just baseball.

LSU - 87 total runs.

Hook 'Em !!!

We have a winner ! I like your style Baddog. HOOK 'EM indeed !

87 runs to 84, that is called who u play. We play in the sec, while yall are big 12. In the super regionals we played rice, yall played tcu. Yall are seaded #1 we are ranked #1 in all polls. Yall play small ball, we at long ball.

Everone know chicks dig the long ball

The bottom Lin with both teams is the conference, big 12 and sec. Where are all the other big 12 teams? Where were they in the super regionals?

My main problem w/ texas fans is I addmitted the big 12 was better in basketball, yall have a hard time addmitting sec rules in football and baseball.

Good luck on yalls 7 national title, lol we won 5 in just the 90's

By the way 3-1 with the long ball. Girls in this tiger bar, ( yes bmt) are going crazy

teamfirst. If you could correct that rear cranial inversion, you'd know that the last 11 games have all been in the tournament. Runs are runs, I don't really care who you are playing. Keep playing that Rice card. Maybe if you lose out, you can have a t-shirt made saying "At Least We Beat Rice". I've seen Rice ranked #1 and Lamar University swept them. Baseball is baseball. If I beat you by 1 stinking run, I kicked your arse!

Oops, Rice was ranked #2 in the country during the regular season that year.

Why can't people simply say LSU is a great team and UT is a great team? Is it that hard?? I'm a huge Horns fan but not ignorant enough to believe they are the only good team in America. Any of the teams left can win it all and would deserve to if they win the games. Fresno State did it last year.

Ok bigdog, I will give u that.

Now u answer this truly, which conference in football and  baseball? Sec or big 12, remember state and games agaist don't lie

Both teams are great, just one plays in a tougher conference.

I have not said anything against LSU. I simply defend my team. See if anyone can find a baseball top 25 ranking at the end of this regular season. I'm just curious.

Football, SEC is probably tops due to upper ranked teams. It still doesn't mean we are slouches because we are 2nd. In fact, keep that mentality. It gives anyone an edge. Texas has started out with a top 5 ranking for several years now.

Baseball....Texas is just about always in the mix, so I really don't know.

LSU - 87 total runs.

Hook 'Em !!!

We have a winner ! I like your style Baddog. HOOK 'EM indeed !

Trust me I know how baseball is played and understand what every team is trying to do.  I never said that small ball couldn't score runs if you read my statement.  I like both styles of the game.  But it is about 1st impressions and Texas didn't make a good one.  I have nothing against them...I was simply stating my opinion on how they looked.  Once Green was pulled from the game they didn't look that good.  Saying that they had one bad inning is a little bit of a stretch.  One really bad inning....yes they had one.  And if So. Miss had won I would have said that they earned it because no one gave them a chance because it was their 1st trip and they were facing Texas.  I didn't give them that big of a chance, but thought that if Texas took them lightly they would be in a dog fight.

The bottom Lin with both teams is the conference, big 12 and sec. Where are all the other big 12 teams? Where were they in the super regionals?

My main problem w/ texas fans is I addmitted the big 12 was better in basketball, yall have a hard time addmitting sec rules in football and baseball.

Good luck on yalls 7 national title, lol we won 5 in just the 90's

By the way 3-1 with the long ball. Girls in this tiger bar, ( yes bmt) are going crazy

[/quote

I'm honestly not so sure about that.....football or baseball. That's just my opinion obviously. Maybe someday I'll be sold on the SEC is superior to the Big 12. Currently, I'm not buying it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder