Hog Hunters Needed!!!

I believe we are need of some hog hunters in my neighborhood. My 9 year old black lab was cut up pretty badly by a hog yesterday. He needed over 100 stitches and/or staples to close his wounds up. I had been hearing my dog and the neighbor's two dogs out in the woods the last few days chasing and barking at something. After yesterday, I now know what they were chasing.

I believe we are need of some hog hunters in my neighborhood. My 9 year old black lab was cut up pretty badly by a hog yesterday. He needed over 100 stitches and/or staples to close his wounds up. I had been hearing my dog and the neighbor's two dogs out in the woods the last few days chasing and barking at something. After yesterday, I now know what they were chasing.

Where at?

I know there are some packs of hogs around the Mid-County area. One group of them is living not too far from downtown Port Neches.

Where at?

I know there are some packs of hogs around the Mid-County area. One group of them is living not too far from downtown Port Neches.

I live just outside of Silsbee, off of FM 418, on Brookwood Dr. At the end of our road is a pretty big thicket of woods that lead down to Village Creek. We had fourwheeler trails back there but Rita and Ike kind of took care of them. Now it looks like hog heaven.

ONLY in Texas? Hog hunting from helicopters- STATE LEGISLATURE - TOO MUCH

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) ? The Texas House tentatively approved a bill encouraging hunters to take on wild pigs from the air.

Landowners can get a permit to control feral hog populations from a helicopter.

Republican Rep. Sid Miller, of Stephenville, said the measure would allow landowners to sell seats on the helicopter to some hunters.

The animals -- weighing up to 300 pounds -- destroy crops, trample fences and eat anything in their path.

Miller said his bill would allow landowners to recoup their losses ? and possibly make a profit ? while protecting their property from the hogs. He said more than 2 million hogs across Texas cause $400 million of damage each year.

Some detractors argued that allowing farmers to make a profit created a new area of sport hunting that was passed off as population control.

More than 3,500 House bills left to whither away

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) ? The Texas House adjourned shortly after a midnight deadline, leaving thousands of bills to wither away in the final stretch of the legislative session.

Lawmakers playfully acknowledged the expiration of almost 4,000 bills by playing Taps, the military bugle call.

Several lawmakers marked the passing with an impromptu "memorial service."

Bill authors stood in a receiving line at the front of the chamber, dabbing at their eyes with tissue and sympathetically hugging each other over the loss of their legislation.

When the clock struck midnight, House legislation that hasn't been adopted expired in its present form.

Unless they can be revived in another format, bills that die will most likely have to wait two more years for another chance to become law.

That is something that many (or more likely, most) Texans don't understand about our legislative process.

They only meet two once every other year and it is only for 140 days. That means that they have less than 4 months once every two years to make laws unless the governor calls a special session in case of an emergency.

Legislators (House members and Senators) can file any bill or resolution that they want but it has to be in (I think) by the 90th day of the session. There are literally thousands of bills proposed and very few days to act on them. I hear a few people saying things like, my senator is filing a bill to get this taken care of. Well that may be true but the odds are that the bill will never even be heard in a committee. If it does get to be heard in the committee, it likely won't get out of the committee. If it gets out of the committee, it will then have a "chance" at passing on the floor. Then it has to go the other house for the same action. Then if there are any amendments in either version, they have to go through a compromise version that both houses accept and then it has to go back to the floor of both houses for a final vote. If it happens to pass that, it goes to the governor for a signature, veto or no action and hoping to beat the 10 day deadline for automatic passing.

Assuming it gets past all of that, you pet bill will become law. Good luck but don't hold your breath.

Not that anyone really cares about the process and I suppose that most would rather remain clueless. It does however say why there are always thousands of bills left to die without any action taken on them. Fortunately in my opinion, by meeting only once every two years and only having four months to take action, it weeds out a lot of the nonsene that many states with permanent or full time legislators face. They are always debating the hot story of the day instead of simply staying out of people's business.

So that people don't think that Texas can take action if needed between sessions, the governor can call them back into session for an emergency if he feels that something needs to be passed quickly however it can be for a single purpose and he can't simply continue to call new sessions. Special sessions are rarely called as there are very few occasions where something can't wait for a pet project for another two years or less.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll be home in 6 days and I've got several new firearms I'm ITCHING to try out.  AAW, you name the time and place and I'll be there.  I bought a new Kahr/AO M1 Carbine JUST FOR traipsing through the brush after hogs with.  Also have never killed anything w/ my bow I got for Christmas last year.  I'm also w/ the guy above who mentioned having a sidearm on his hip......got a new one of those too to try out!! :) 

Like I say...name the time and place!! 

I'll be home in 6 days and I've got several new firearms I'm ITCHING to try out.  AAW, you name the time and place and I'll be there.  I bought a new Kahr/AO M1 Carbine JUST FOR traipsing through the brush after hogs with.  Also have never killed anything w/ my bow I got for Christmas last year.  I'm also w/ the guy above who mentioned having a sidearm on his hip......got a new one of those too to try out!! :) 

I'm gettin this mental picture of RAMBO

I'm gettin this mental picture of RAMBO

LOL....nah.  Everytime I take a contract overseas and deploy....my gift to myself for doing so is a new firearm or 3.  ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124