Advice for getting daughter started out right

My daughter will be 6 in May.  That would mean she would be league age 6U next season.  Both of her brothers play select baseball; so we are very familar with traveling, and would be willling to do that for her too.  Someone told us there are some softball leagues around the triangle that are more competitive than others.  However, I haven't found anybody able to give me any specific information.  We would be willing to drive her to the best place to play. Since you all have older daughters, I was hoping to benefit from your experience.  Thanks in advance for any tips you would be willing to post. 

AT 6U they have to play in their own district in this area. In other words if you live in Beaumont you play in the Beaumont league. If you live in Orange in the Orange League and same for Nederland and Port Neches. When they reach 10U then they can go out to select teams if they prefer too. Then you can play out of your area if you wish.

We only have little league where we live.  Can my daughter play in the softball leagues you referred to in Beaumont, Orange etc. if we don't live there?    They didn't have enough girls to divide teams by age group this year at our little league, so kindergarteners were on the same team with 3rd graders.  It's fine for the younger girls, but not too competitive for the older ones. 

Guest b-a-g fan

When you select a travel ball team in  about two years (if she wants that level of play ) . Pick a team that teaches fundamentals first and not by name . Most organizations are a not the same as they were a few years ago. Watered down ,Daddy Ball . :-\ As your daughter plays the next few years, go watch perspective teams and how they operate . If she does not improve or is not happy ,she will not stick with it . Travel ball  at that age was some of the best times me and my DD have ever had and those years and the fundamentals distiled in her ,made her the player she is today  :o

Years ago I experienced a similar problem with my daughter.At that time she was about 8-10 years old,now she is 16.Where we lived,which was in the Golden Triangle area,our home town softball league was supposed to merge with another town's softball league.I was willing to try it,but things didn't work out like I thought they would.I asked our local District Rep. if my daughter could play out of another league,and I was told NO she could not.Well I did not stop there,I contacted the "Head Man" in Austin,TX. and asked him why my daughter could not play out of another league?I told him that I had no problem paying her dues,getting her to and from practices or games.Nor doing what was asked of me to do from the league(work concession stand,etc.)The man told me,"if she wanted to play on a team in Dallas and lived here in the Golden Triangle,we could as long as we got her to all practices and games and did what ever we were supposed to do with what ever league we wanted to play with".So my advice to you is to contact someone like I did.It was the best thing I did for my daughter.I had two girls that played softball,my oldest is 8 years older than my youngest,unfortunately due to my ignorance my older daughter stopped playing because there were not enough girls in her age group (14)to form teams out of our league.I did not make that mistake again.My 16 year old is playing High School Varsity Softball and also plays travel ball with Orange Crush.She is hoping to attend College to play softball,so far it's looking good she is also a straight A student.So if your daughter is really into playing ball,don't believe the first time you are told NO!Go to the TOP like I did.She should be able to play somewhere with other little girls.

Years ago I experienced a similar problem with my daughter.At that time she was about 8-10 years old,now she is 16.Where we lived,which was in the Golden Triangle area,our home town softball league was supposed to merge with another town's softball league.I was willing to try it,but things didn't work out like I thought they would.I asked our local District Rep. if my daughter could play out of another league,and I was told NO she could not.Well I did not stop there,I contacted the "Head Man" in Austin,TX. and asked him why my daughter could not play out of another league?I told him that I had no problem paying her dues,getting her to and from practices or games.Nor doing what was asked of me to do from the league(work concession stand,etc.)The man told me,"if she wanted to play on a team in Dallas and lived here in the Golden Triangle,we could as long as we got her to all practices and games and did what ever we were supposed to do with what ever league we wanted to play with".So my advice to you is to contact someone like I did.It was the best thing I did for my daughter.I had two girls that played softball,my oldest is 8 years older than my youngest,unfortunately due to my ignorance my older daughter stopped playing because there were not enough girls in her age group (14)to form teams out of our league.I did not make that mistake again.My 16 year old is playing High School Varsity Softball and also plays travel ball with Orange Crush.She is hoping to attend College to play softball,so far it's looking good she is also a straight A student.So if your daughter is really into playing ball,don't believe the first time you are told NO!Go to the TOP like I did.She should be able to play somewhere with other little girls.

I know Maw Maw's daughter and I approve of this message.

I want to also add that the Straight A's or good grades are equally important for a youngster wanting to explore the sports arena as an avenue to continuing education.  So when choosing a travel ball team or league, make sure that education is not hindered. 

BTW-- If weda known maw maws daughter a year earlier--she would have been a Rowdie lady---and a good one.  LOL

Most of our girls started out playing Tee Ball/-league baseball with the boys. once they got better than the boys at 8-10 years old  ;D they moved on to travel ball.

#1 rule - girls and boys throw NO differently, it is solely the training provided.

If a coach tells you differently run from him as fast as you can.

#2 rule - girls are just as strong as boys at young ages.(and much cuter)  8)

I forgot to mention that my older daughter was very good at the game,my mistake to not fighting for her to play elsewhere as well.My older girl started playing at age 6,my younger girl started at age 4,and yes she was and still is pretty good at the game.

I know Maw Maw's daughter and I approve of this message.

I want to also add that the Straight A's or good grades are equally important for a youngster wanting to explore the sports arena as an avenue to continuing education.  So when choosing a travel ball team or league, make sure that education is not hindered. 

BTW-- If weda known maw maws daughter a year earlier--she would have been a Rowdie lady---and a good one.  LOL

Thank you,it would have been a pleasure Mr.Weed!

Most of our girls started out playing Tee Ball/-league baseball with the boys. once they got better than the boys at 8-10 years old  ;D they moved on to travel ball.

#1 rule - girls and boys throw NO differently, it is solely the training provided.

If a coach tells you differently run from him as fast as you can.

#2 rule - girls are just as strong as boys at young ages.(and much cuter)  8)

I recommend this route at 6U.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darren33

Contrary to a couple of of previous comments, my strong recommendation if you live in an area where only little league is offerred is to drive to an area where ASA girls softbal is offerred.   I moved from Houston (where girls fastpitch is HUGE) to a town on the outskirts of Beaumont.  Only Little League is offerred in my small town.  I went and watched a couple of 8U games before deciding where to place my girls.  Little League had girls trying to pitch at 7 and 8 years old.  It was horrible.   No action.   7 or 8 is too young to get them to pitch.  Girls in the field were just standing around talking to each other.  Just a bad deal.   Reminded me of T-Ball.  On top of that, it was evident that the league catered to boys, and stuck the girls on the absolute worst field there was - no grass in the outfield - bunch of weeds, just horrible.  My recommendation is to get your daughter at 6U hooked up with a good ASA Youth Girls Softball Program.  They will do coach pitch until they enter 10U, and the good coaches develop the girls in the younger years to hit a fast pitched ball from the caoch - this is good.  Good for the hitting, and good for the defense.   The game is action packed.   Plus, if the coach is any good, he'll teach her a softball swing early (yes there is a difference between a tight quick handed softball swing, and the baseball "chicken wing" swing).  ASA programs are available in Vidor, Beaumont, Nederland, Port Nechez, Orange, Bridge City - basically anywhere you need to go.  Any of them produce  good teams - but it's all about the coaches.  You'll find good and uneducated coaches in any of the leagues.  You'll know after your first season what coaches you want your daughter with.   Then go talk to them and try to get your daughter drafted there.   Check out the ASA District 39 Website for more details.  As far as Select, you'll likely not have an opportunity for that until 10U at the earliest.   OOC, I believe, has the only Select Team in the area at 10U (made up primarily of girls off of all the 8U GT Area All Star Teams from last year).   But in 12U, there are a half dozen or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to call my cell 409-284-2879 as I feel strongly about youth girls softball (I have four daughters and that's it), and coach a select team in the area.   Seems like you have a lot of interest in ensuring your daughter get's her best shot at this....and I appreciate that.

I also have a daughter that is 6, also have one that is 14 plays high school and travel ball, Get her in a A.S.A league even if you have to drive to the next town ! Little League in this area is good for boys but not that great for the girls, I did not let my daughter go "A" untill after she was 11. But everyone has there own way of looking at when there kid is ready for "A" !

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics