Texas Senate panel approves privates to join UIL

Bad decision if they allow these schools in...as seen before in numerous charter schools, not many are able to adhere to the guidelines set forth by the UIL.  Before being corrected, I know TAPPS does not equal charter schools.  Will recruiting still be allowed, or has that not taken place in a while?

Will recruiting still be allowed, or has that not taken place in a while?

How can they not allow it? If a Houston area great player can play on a nationally ranked team and travel around the country and play on TV like Evangel Christian or Xavier from Cinci does, then all the school has to do is offer an academis scholarship and presto! They don't have any boundry lines to adhere to.

Even teams like NW in Miami has an advantage because they have over 100,000 kids in there school district and the kids can choose which schools they attend, so naturally all the football players go to NW High. Imagine if all of the kids in the Cypress School District could choose which school they could attend!

I agree this will be bad for Texas HS Football!

Folks, this is bad for business.  Private schools make their living recruiting for athletic purposes, period.  I have thought long and hard as to how you could get private schools to adhere to UIL rules, and I have no answer.  I think this is a bad move. I believe that NDN spoke to scholarships, and I agree with his statement.  Public schools cannot give scholarships.  This will prove to be a mess.  I could write for hours on this but will not bore ya'll.

i cant imagine it could be for more money...how could this make texas high school football more profitable? that seems impossible...since this is across all sports you can ask the same question and put sports in the question instead of football...maybe im just blinded by something but it doesnt seem like a way to make more money....

on getting private schools to no recruit...this would be an impossiblity based on the simple fact that private schools have to recruit to survive...every student that is at their school is the result of some form of recruiting whether they are an athlete or not....

Good last point sahan.

I coach a couple of years at a private school in Austin. It was a small private school and we scheduled alot of 1A schools for basketball games. We did not win many of those games, but the simple fact that we scheduled against public schools allowed us to "recruit" players for our program.

Private schools can never be forced to adheare to rules since they are not under the Texas Education Agency. They do not get tax money so believe me if someone says abide by the rules or else, many will choose "or else"!

There are some fine private schools in Texas, schools that offer more than public schools can offer especially acedemically, but once they are allowed into UIL then you will see the emergence of schools like those mentioned already in this post. They will be fling to play schools in other states and getting huge facilities to impress athletes and parents. Welcome to the beginning of the Texas mini NCAA. Boosters building indoor practice football facilities, tutors for athletes, and yes eventially a dome stadium at some high school.

And we are impressed with a school that can install field turf, just you wait the bidding war for high school athletes is just about to start!

Good last point sahan.

I coach a couple of years at a private school in Austin. It was a small private school and we scheduled alot of 1A schools for basketball games. We did not win many of those games, but the simple fact that we scheduled against public schools allowed us to "recruit" players for our program.

Private schools can never be forced to adheare to rules since they are not under the Texas Education Agency. They do not get tax money so believe me if someone says abide by the rules or else, many will choose "or else"!

There are some fine private schools in Texas, schools that offer more than public schools can offer especially acedemically, but once they are allowed into UIL then you will see the emergence of schools like those mentioned already in this post. They will be fling to play schools in other states and getting huge facilities to impress athletes and parents. Welcome to the beginning of the Texas mini NCAA. Boosters building indoor practice football facilities, tutors for athletes, and yes eventially a dome stadium at some high school.

And we are impressed with a school that can install field turf, just you wait the bidding war for high school athletes is just about to start!

This is about right in line with my opinion. As far as recruiting, they won't have to actively recruit per se. If a school gets a reputation of turning out scholarships to D1 schools, how much recruiting will be needed? They will be able to pick and choose their starters to some extent.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder