23-1A

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not vote against the Rebels to repeat in 2009.

While the team is lsoing a fine group of seniors the Rebels have the luxury of having played a full JV schedule against mostly 2A and 3A teams. The JV went 7-1 and has a great group that will make the move up to varsity come summer workouts.

Not to mention that the varsity squad will return as many as 18 to 20 players all of which gost substancial playing time during last years district championship season and the returning team will be junior denominated with the likes of Nichols, Tucker, Harvey and Starks with now two years of varsity experience under their belts. Stanley who will be a senior got plenty of carries last season and even with a young line in 2009 they are tested as they went head to head every day with the outstanding line the Rebels had this season.

There is plenty of talent in this district, but it will be difficult to overcome the depth that the Rebels bring to the table and the on field experience that they gained on varsity and on JV. 

nothing has changed this year from last in my openion this district is still a 3 headed monster with Evadale, WH, and HD being the only three teams i can see making the playoffs in this district and this year like last their is not a clear favorite. that being said here is how I'm picking and why

1. Evadale- Defending champs, good coaching, lots of players and they always play tough and never quit but they did lose a lot of good talent to graduation

2. WH- Losing copeland but their D was pretty good this year and not losing hardly anything should be much improved next year and anytime you have a good D you have a chance

3. HD- they will have the toughest job of replacing their seniors. i look for this to be a down year for HD maybe one of the worst they have had in many years, but they have good coaches and always manage to have a good team and in a weak i see them taking the 3rd spot

1.West Hardin-this senior class coming up were freshmen when WH was on top and they are playing with a chip on there shoulder...they are also only losing 4 seniors.. althow a little bigger next year, they will still lack size

2.Evadale-have some talent coming back...have the advantage in numbers...playing experience with a JV...But losing a big senior class and are still going to be young....its also hard to make the transition from the JV level to Varsity

3, HD or High Island- HD is losing alot but i still think they are the 3rd best

Close, very close at the top.

Don't get too carried away with Evadale's JV record last year against 2A and 3A teams.  If you check, you'll see these were mostly against true 9th grade squads.  Evadale's JV was made up of 9th thru 11th graders (as was their varsity, 9th thru 12th).  That being said, I give a slight edge to the Rebels simply because they did finish a JV schedule where HD and WH did not.  Time on the field is priceless.

I see it as Evadale 1st

HD second

WH third, mainly because they just seem scared of HD.

Good luck to all.  Good district.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get too carried away with Evadale's JV record last year against 2A and 3A teams.  If you check, you'll see these were mostly against true 9th grade squads.   Evadale's JV was made up of 9th thru 11th graders (as was their varsity, 9th thru 12th).  That being said, I give a slight edge to the Rebels simply because they did finish a JV schedule where HD and WH did not.  Time on the field is priceless.

I see it as Evadale 1st

HD second

I agree with the monkey guy...

Don't get too carried away with Evadale's JV record last year against 2A and 3A teams.  If you check, you'll see these were mostly against true 9th grade squads.   Evadale's JV was made up of 9th thru 11th graders (as was their varsity, 9th thru 12th).  That being said, I give a slight edge to the Rebels simply because they did finish a JV schedule where HD and WH did not.  Time on the field is priceless.

I see it as Evadale 1st

HD second

I agree with the monkey guy...
;D ;D ;D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The three teams that everyone are picking are the top of this dist, but I think this year will be the year that Evadale goes more than one game and out in the playoffs. Don't be surprised when they come out with four wideouts in the shotgun on the opening drive. They are going to really  be able to throw the ball this year. They lost a lot of Sr this year on the D side of the ball but they are not going to have to have the D to carry the team as much this year as  in years pass. But with that said they will still have a good running game but D's will not be able to overload the line just to stop the run, if they do they will get burnt over the top. I look for this year to be exciting with a lot of points being put on the board .Cant wait for the Lights to come on Friday night

I have to agree with Joe

Knowing Billy Nichols is a huge Tim Teebo fan, fan made be the wrong word. He is more of a student of Teebo. I believe that Coach Williams will look to spread the field and use Nichols as a thrower and runner like Florida did a couple of years back.

I believe that the Rebels will be putting points on the board in bunches. Bring on the Friday Night Lights!

The three teams that everyone are picking are the top of this dist, but I think this year will be the year that Evadale goes more than one game and out in the playoffs. Don't be surprised when they come out with four wideouts in the shotgun on the opening drive. They are going to really  be able to throw the ball this year. They lost a lot of Sr this year on the D side of the ball but they are not going to have to have the D to carry the team as much this year as   in years pass. But with that said they will still have a good running game but D's will not be able to overload the line just to stop the run, if they do they will get burnt over the top. I look for this year to be exciting with a lot of points being put on the board .Cant wait for the Lights to come on Friday night

Didn't realize Evadale was that bad this year.  Did'nt ya'll go undefeated in district?  This guy sounds like ya'll unloaded some dead weight!??  The Rebels gave us all we wanted the last two years and if your time keeper hadn't stopped the clock with ONE second left in the half with our team at the 5 yard line it would have been 7 to 7 at he half this year.  Evadale would have had momentum going in at the half and had out rushed us two to one at that point and who knows.  We did score on the next play and that deflated Evadale.  I've got some good buds from Evadale and ya'll are loosing some quality guys, don't forget who got you here!   Didn't this team beat Hull for the first time in school history on the varsity level?   YES!   I believe Evadale will be fine again this year but I don't remember enough speed for 4 wideouts, hey, just a casual observation.   Hope ya'll don't focus too much on individuals this year cause this last years team showed the 1A district what TEAM was all about.        GO PIRATES!!!

Guest Luther X Jr.

i see Evadale taking the district again with good games against WH and HD again..

next year will be pretty interesting..

It will be interesting but watch out for those Mustangs!!!!!!

TEAM still is the key. Once they figured out that playin as a team helps win ball games, they havent stopped since. They're playin under one of the best coaches around so playin as a TEAM aint a problem anymore. There may be a few tough times here and there, but hey, thats why girls dont play the game right...lol ;D ;D ;D

The three teams that everyone are picking are the top of this dist, but I think this year will be the year that Evadale goes more than one game and out in the playoffs. Don't be surprised when they come out with four wideouts in the shotgun on the opening drive. They are going to really  be able to throw the ball this year. They lost a lot of Sr this year on the D side of the ball but they are not going to have to have the D to carry the team as much this year as   in years pass. But with that said they will still have a good running game but D's will not be able to overload the line just to stop the run, if they do they will get burnt over the top. I look for this year to be exciting with a lot of points being put on the board .Cant wait for the Lights to come on Friday night

Didn't realize Evadale was that bad this year. Didn't ya'll go undefeated in district?  This guy sounds like ya'll unloaded some dead weight!??  The Rebels gave us all we wanted the last two years and if your time keeper hadn't stopped the clock with ONE second left in the half with our team at the 5 yard line it would have been 7 to 7 at he half this year.  Evadale would have had momentum going in at the half and had out rushed us two to one at that point and who knows.  We did score on the next play and that deflated Evadale.  I've got some good buds from Evadale and ya'll are loosing some quality guys, don't forget who got you here!   Didn't this team beat Hull for the first time in school history on the varsity level?   YES!   I believe Evadale will be fine again this year but I don't remember enough speed for 4 wideouts, hey, just a casual observation.   Hope ya'll don't focus too much on individuals this year cause this last years team showed the 1A district what TEAM was all about.        GO PIRATES!!!

No were did I say anything Like we had dead weight on last years team. But If you would have watched any of the last two years playoff teams you could have seen that both teams def. put a over loaded  D line to make Evadale throw to win and they weren't put together to play  that way. I just think that this years team will be a little more balanced with the passing game being more than the run. And you are right if not for that 1 second left  on the clock  it would have been a different game , and that man will not be back allowed in the press box . You don't need that much speed to get 5 yards up field, and with the size that the Redels will have this year , small D backs will have there hands full when they have to play man up by spreading the D with 4 wideouts . Not many 1A schools will have 3 6ft D backs and Evadale will be able to send 2 receivers out 6'2"  and 1 at 6'5"

Didn't realize Evadale was that bad this year. Didn't ya'll go undefeated in district?  This guy sounds like ya'll unloaded some dead weight!??  The Rebels gave us all we wanted the last two years and if your time keeper hadn't stopped the clock with ONE second left in the half with our team at the 5 yard line it would have been 7 to 7 at he half this year.  Evadale would have had momentum going in at the half and had out rushed us two to one at that point and who knows.  We did score on the next play and that deflated Evadale.  I've got some good buds from Evadale and ya'll are loosing some quality guys, don't forget who got you here!   Didn't this team beat Hull for the first time in school history on the varsity level?   YES!   I believe Evadale will be fine again this year but I don't remember enough speed for 4 wideouts, hey, just a casual observation.   Hope ya'll don't focus too much on individuals this year cause this last years team showed the 1A district what TEAM was all about.        GO PIRATES!!!

No were did I say anything Like we had dead weight on last years team. But If you would have watched any of the last two years playoff teams you could have seen that both teams def. put a over loaded  D line to make Evadale throw to win and they weren't put together to play  that way. I just think that this years team will be a little more balanced with the passing game being more than the run. And you are right if not for that 1 second left  on the clock  it would have been a different game , and that man will not be back allowed in the press box . You don't need that much speed to get 5 yards up field, and with the size that the Redels will have this year , small D backs will have there hands full when they have to play man up by spreading the D with 4 wideouts . Not many 1A schools will have 3 6ft D backs and Evadale will be able to send 2 receivers out 6'2"  and 1 at 6'5"

I believe Evadale will be in good shape this year but there will be several unproven players on the field.  I do think coach Will will bring them along and have them ready when district rolls around, it really depends on how the new guys (and returning ones) perceive thenselves.  I see no superstars (still early) just like last year and if everyone does his part, theyll be ok.  You can read into your lines that we've turning the chapter and are headed for good times...heck, I had a blast last year.  31 point average aint bad for a bad offense.(just reading between your lines).  I will say that  I believe a major foundation was laid for Rebel Football last year and now its those "tall" receivers job to build on that, and when they leave, hopefully they've kept that drive, the want to, the expectation to win alive and it'll be up the next group to continue.  Something we've never had at Evadale is a winning tradition in football, and winning district one year isn't a tradition, but with teamwork and a community behind em, it has hopefully started already.  I have nothing bad or negative to say about ANY team ever to step foot on Rebel field, I've missed a half dozen games since I last played in 1982 catching passes from our very own coach Will, and every team is different and as a coach he changes almost yearly to go with what he's got.  Hopefully when this group moves on some guy wont come on here and say "glad that's over , now we can pound em again like we used to".  If a fella is true blue and gold, you are thankful to the guys that went 2 and 8 just like the ones that won the district title and you deffend em and build em always.    Great job to the District Champs Evadale Rebels, you'll be missed, with what you've taught us, we plan on getting another one this year...and starting a tradition...GO REBELS!!!

Getting more like yeller all the time...long winded ;D...predictions...

Evadale

HD

WH

HI

Chester

Not sure how many HI lost to graduation, if they've got anything coming back, they may be in the hunt.  Dont think Chester has enough kids to make big gains this year, we'll soon see.

Long winded, well I guess you could say that.

But you could say that I am just a very analitical thinker with a perception of events and acts that make for a hightened awareness of the balance between sports reporting and being a committed fan.

Yea, long winded fits just fine!

I believe Evadale will be in good shape this year but there will be several unproven players on the field.  I do think coach Will will bring them along and have them ready when district rolls around, it really depends on how the new guys (and returning ones) perceive thenselves.  I see no superstars (still early) just like last year and if everyone does his part, they'll be OK.  You can read into your lines that we've turning the chapter and are headed for good times...heck, I had a blast last year.  31 point average ain't bad for a bad offense.(just reading between your lines).  I will say that  I believe a major foundation was laid for Rebel Football last year and now its those "tall" receivers job to build on that, and when they leave, hopefully they've kept that drive, the want to, the expectation to win alive and it'll be up the next group to continue.  Something we've never had at Evadale is a winning tradition in football, and winning district one year isn't a tradition, but with teamwork and a community behind em, it has hopefully started already.  I have nothing bad or negative to say about ANY team ever to step foot on Rebel field, I've missed a half dozen games since I last played in 1982 catching passes from our very own coach Will, and every team is different and as a coach he changes almost yearly to go with what he's got.  Hopefully when this group moves on some guy wont come on here and say "glad that's over , now we can pound em again like we used to".  If a fella is true blue and gold, you are thankful to the guys that went 2 and 8 just like the ones that won the district title and you deffend em and build em always.    Great job to the District Champs Evadale Rebels, you'll be missed, with what you've taught us, we plan on getting another one this year...and starting a tradition...GO REBELS!!!

No need to read between the lines just read what is there. we had a strong running game the last two years that is no question but if you were there, and I am sure you were, both teams in the play off game played a teams that setout to  stop the run and did. The last two years team were built to run and they did a great job of that. I just think that this year there will be a strong passing game,just my oppion, that is all yet to be seen,  And I also think that with that passing game the running game will be as good if not better. Lost a lot of good players last year and they will be misted but if the one coming up, play the way they did on JV last year I think we will be fine. You are right A strong football team in Evadale is not tradition but I hope the last two years turn that around. The Sr this year have pasted the torch it is up to next years team to keep it lit.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics