UIL team page for Hardin-Jefferson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spinks

Good to see this..

I know we have some business left to complete this year but these two freshman will go a long way in helping continue the hawks tradition.  I think they will be solid again next year!

nice to see HJ with a couple of freshman listed at 6'2'' and 6'3''.  we'll have some height to build on in the next couple of years if these boys keep growing :)

I wonder how accurate that is......ususally they are listed about 2 inches more than their actual height.

nice to see HJ with a couple of freshman listed at 6'2'' and 6'3''.  we'll have some height to build on in the next couple of years if these boys keep growing :)

I wonder how accurate that is......ususally they are listed about 2 inches more than their actual height.

Thats about right cause one is about ricossa's height and the other is about an inch shorter, so will have the height next year with ricossa, nobles, anderson, and the 2 freshmans from this year all around the height of 6'2 and above!!!

This is for next season... cause this season were still focusing on

Guest hjlonghorn

No those are accurate Joe is 6 3 and Shawn is 6 2 thats no doubt if not taller.

HJ will always have a great b ball program....The Nome Gym is a breeding ground for great players both male and female. HJ just has a few setbacks they nurture the talent just enough to make it to state but what happens to the kids after they have played their last games at hj? Hardin Jefferson has always been and will remain one of the strongest programs in setx......They should be sending more kids to the next level.

take it how you want to. but seriously all i was saying is that HJ has been a dominate program in setx for many years and I wld just like to see more kids from there go to college and play ball. I just hate to see great players wasted. I can name many good/great players who have come from there that never got the chance to even play at a juco

take it how you want to. but seriously all i was saying is that HJ has been a dominate program in setx for many years and I wld just like to see more kids from there go to college and play ball. I just hate to see great players wasted. I can name many good/great players who have come from there that never got the chance to even play at a juco

well all i know is that the coaching staff does their best to get the players to a good college, but you have to realize that donahoe had a chance to play college ball and passed it up.. that wasnt sutherlands, lee's or davis's fault.. that was ryans decision... usually if someone doesnt go play college ball that has the talent too, it is their choice and no one is to blame for it..

There is a difference in 5A, 4A and 3A................only great players from 3A make it to a good college.  I remember just two years a ago a great 3A player from HJ was offered several D1 Scholarships and the HJ coaching staff bent over backwards and jumped through hoops to get him those offers and with the paperwork on the table and in front of him on signing day he chose not to sign because his AAU coach told him he could get him a better scholarship offer from a bigger school.  Now that player has been seen at HJ games in the last three weeks and throughout the year instead of playing hoops himself!!!!!!!!  There have been several players to go play college basketball from HJ.  I will list a few for you:

Kenyon Spears - Lamar

Gene Isabell - Sam Houston

Shannon Holmes - Houston Baptist

Jeff Burke - Houston Baptist

Jamey Harrison - Navarro

Joel Nolte - McMurray

Big Woo Durley- Some college in Dallas

Trey Watts - McMurray

Mark Holmes - McNeese State

dont get me wrong I'm not blamming any of the hj coaches or the ones prior to them ...Joel nolte, durrette and others. but i know many parents who are disappointed with the recruting process from hj and because of this the parents are opting to bring their kids to bisd and other surrounding areas where they will get a quality education and a better shot at an athletic scholarship. in order to keep hometown athletes (Nome china cheek sourlake) Hardin Jefferson needs to send more kids to the next level. I know grades and conduct weigh more on this issue than overall athletic ability....But kids usually dint fail off the team there so their grades should be high enough for many schools

Guest spinks

dont get me wrong I'm not blamming any of the hj coaches or the ones prior to them ...Joel nolte, durrette and others. but i know many parents who are disappointed with the recruting process from hj and because of this the parents are opting to bring their kids to bisd and other surrounding areas where they will get a quality education and a better shot at an athletic scholarship. in order to keep hometown athletes (Nome china cheek sourlake) Hardin Jefferson needs to send more kids to the next level. I know grades and conduct weigh more on this issue than overall athletic ability....But kids usually dint fail off the team there so their grades should be high enough for many schools

I would like to know what kids have left HJ because they thought kids would be recruited better.  Also, how many local 3A schools consistantly produce college baskebtall players?.............and for that matter state wide how many do it?

HJ will always have a great b ball program....The Nome Gym is a breeding ground for great players both male and female. HJ just has a few setbacks they nurture the talent just enough to make it to state but what happens to the kids after they have played their last games at hj? Hardin Jefferson has always been and will remain one of the strongest programs in setx......They should be sending more kids to the next level.

This is not always true. Just because you have a successful high school career does not mean you are destined for a college career. The number of players making a successful jump to the next level drops in numbers as the weaker players are weeded out for various reasons.  I don't know about small 3-A schools where everybody  plays two sports, but you will see at larger school players not making the transition from junior high to senior high because of the competition. The same holds true from high school to college. There are guys with natural athletic ability but won't be able to make it because their mental game is not as strong to compete on the next level. I've seen guys lead the nation in college scoring but that doesn't mean they will get drafted by the pros.

I would put up HJ's quality education against BISD's any day.

Fellas, the majority of young men  (parent's included) want those scholarships but here is another issue to factor in with the recruiting process. A lot of kids (and parents) want to be recruited by and play for the big D-1 schools.  Its a simple fact no matter how you try and define it.

Guest spinks

Fellas, the majority of young men  (parent's included) want those scholarships but here is another issue to factor in with the recruiting process. A lot of kids (and parents) want to be recruited by and play for the big D-1 schools.  Its a simple fact no matter how you try and define it.

Ur exactly right Bluedove.  However, these AAU coaches need to be realistic with parents and players and recommend that they play on the level they belong on.  EX: Ryan Donahoe.........had full ride papers on his desk to SFA where he was told he would likely start his freshman year.  His AAU coach recommended he hold out for bigger offers.............now he is completely out of school and basketball.  These kids have great direction from their high school coaches but the AAU coaches lead them to believe they can play at a higher level in hopes that they do so that AAU coach will receive the credit and get more players in the future.  THEY NEED TO BE MORE REALISTIC!!!!!!!!!!

well said bluedove....And spinks I didnt say kids have left hj In search of scholarships i said parents were wanting to pull kids out because of the lack of offers. Spinks think about it when you were at Hj you played ball with some of the best to ever come through that school....dnt get me wrong Im not bashing your brother or any of the other coaches They are all stand up guys. Someone said that 3a schools usually dont send kids to big d1 schools and that what parents are starting to notice. I bleed red wight and blue and wld hate to see the future of the program disapear because parents feel their children have a better opportunity to play else where

Guest spinks

well said bluedove....And spinks I didnt say kids have left hj In search of scholarships i said parents were wanting to pull kids out because of the lack of offers. Spinks think about it when you were at Hj you played ball with some of the best to ever come through that school....dnt get me wrong Im not bashing your brother or any of the other coaches They are all stand up guys. Someone said that 3a schools usually dont send kids to big d1 schools and that what parents are starting to notice. I bleed red wight and blue and wld hate to see the future of the program disapear because parents feel their children have a better opportunity to play else where

You are right I did play with some of the best to come through HJ and they still were not good enough.  Trust me if Kenyon Spears, Ryan Donahoe, or Gene Isabel would have played at Ozen they would have had no more or less scholarship offers.  Their numbers would not have been near as good as they were at HJ because they would have had more talent surrounding them.  Also, the only way you are going to get big time scholarship nowadays is through AAU exposure...............PERIOD!!!!!  My best friend is Kenyon Spears............probably per game statistically the best to ever wear a Hawk uniform(3 time all state) and he was a solid role player for Lamar for his first two years and a solid starter and all conference player for Lamar is last two years.  Now think about that for a second.............this is the greatest player to EVER play at the school and he had to walk on at Lamar after rejecting their scholarship in hopes of getting a better one later on in his senior season which did not happen so he was forced to walk on and red shirt.  3A schools are rarely going to have those players..........just the bottom line..........and trust me..........with the little dribblers program HJ has they dont need move ins to be good at the 3a level.

P.S.  I understand parents and kids WANT to play big time D1 basketball but it is just not realistic on the 3A level very often.  When I say big time I mean UNC DUKE and so on.  It is not happening and no one is to blame for that!!! If a kid like that comes along............which will happen once every 30 years in a town like sour lake........even though it has never happened..............he will most likely move!

Ur exactly right Bluedove.  However, these AAU coaches need to be realistic with parents and players and recommend that they play on the level they belong on.  EX: Ryan Donahoe.........had full ride papers on his desk to SFA where he was told he would likely start his freshman year.  His AAU coach recommended he hold out for bigger offers.............now he is completely out of school and basketball.  These kids have great direction from their high school coaches but the AAU coaches lead them to believe they can play at a higher level in hopes that they do so that AAU coach will receive the credit and get more players in the future.  THEY NEED TO BE MORE REALISTIC!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why parents need to take a more active role in the recruiting process and your child's activities. Attend your kid's games. Everybody is on the sideline telling these kids how good they are and parents buy into the pimping process as well. Kids in elementary and middle school being flown across the country to play ball and staying in hotels just like college teams.  It's easy to get caught up into it, but at the end of the day, you need to try and have reality checks about your ability as a player and whats truly important for your son or daughter as a parent.

As a player and parent, you have to try and recognize the hype and the truth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami