Coach Dodge leaves area coaches scratching their heads!

KFDM COOP

Dodge's 5A dynasty leaves area coaches shaking their heads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 12/20/05 - 11:54:32 pm CST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob West column for Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Count football coaches in Southeast Texas among those who have difficulty putting into perspective what one of their own - Todd Dodge - has accomplished at Southlake Carroll.

From West Brook's Craig Stump - Dodge's sophomore backup QB on TJ's 1980 state finalists - to West Orange-Stark's Dan Hooks, to Nederland's Larry Neumann, to PN-G's Matt Burnett, there was a tone of disbelief after Saturday's 34-20 thumping of Katy gave Dodge's Dragons their third title and a 63-1 record in four years at the 5A level.

“It's amazing,†said Stump, whose Bruins were overpowered by Katy in the third round of the playoffs. “I don't think we'll every see another team dominate 5A the way Southlake has. That school had a great tradition when Todd went there, but he's taken it to another level. He's a step ahead, a play ahead of everybody else.

“Plus, he's built a great organization and has the kind of administrative and community support on all levels that can make a difference. I remember going in there as a recruiter for Mississippi State. The Southlake football team was such a huge deal. Kids in the fifth and sixth grade can't wait their turn to be Dragons.â€

“It's impossible to explain,†said Hooks, whose Mustangs won back-to-back 4A titles and played for a third from 1986-88. “They don't just win, they dominate good programs. With the parity and quality programs in 5A, it's just incredible. You say it can't go on forever, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the next two with his son (Riley) playing quarterback.â€

“He's way ahead of everybody else, it's not just talk,†Neumann declared. “I watched the Katy game just shaking my head at the things they did. To move up a classification and do what they've done is a truly amazing feat. There have been some remarkable programs in Texas, some dynasties, and Carroll is at the very top.

“It just seems like that program and that town are in a different zone. They had a great tradition when Todd went there, but it's like he's taken a fire and thrown gasoline on it. What jumps out is the confidence those kids play with. Katy made a run at them and had momentum in the third quarter and they answered with a three-play, 80-yard drive. They just seem to be in a different league from the rest of 5A.â€

“It's mind boggling,†declared PN-G's Burnett, who as a player was part of an Indian program that went to the semifinals or finals four consecutive years in the mid 1970s. “As a coach, if you win one state championship it's an outstanding feat. Just winning a district championship is hard. You really can't relate to what he's done.

“He's got a system going that's just phenomenal. What's so incredible is the way he keeps turning out great quarterbacks. They all seem to have height, strong arms and throw the ball with amazing accuracy. It would be like us having Dustin Long playing QB every year. Obviously, he's developing them and that's a key to their success.â€

Ronnie Thompson, who created the Frankenstein monster Dodge has become in the coaching profession, chuckled when asked for a perspective on what his star pupil has accomplished.

“I don't think you can put it in perspective,†he said. “It's off the charts, in terms of dominating the highest classification. I've thought about it. Abilene in the 1950s and Midland Lee at the end of the ‘90s had great runs. So did Austin Reagan in the late 60s and Judson in the early ‘90s.

“But none of those teams were in the finals four straight years. Todd's one-point away (16-15 loss to Katy in the 2003 finals) from winning four straight. The one he lost, his defensive coordinator was in the hospital dying of cancer and his all-state kicker missed a chip-shot, game-winning field goal.

“He's not doing this with a bunch of kids headed to the NFL, either. Year in and year out there are numerous 5A programs with more Division 1 signees. But he's just way, way out there with what he's doing. He's taken a real good system and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked it until it's beyond good.â€

Thompson said that even as a high school quarterback Dodge had a remarkable grasp of what the offense was all about, and a unique ability to simplify it for players around him.

“We were trying to coach a high-powered offense and a lot of kids couldn't understand it,†Thompson related. “Todd, with two or three words or a couple of gestures could straighten them out and make it so much clearer for them than we were able to do.

“Now, you watch his team play and you see everybody out there really understands what's going on. A lot of people probably think what they are doing is complicated, but he's made it so simple for them it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

“Todd, of course, with his play calling, gives them the ultimate advantage. He finds you defensively, locates you, then knocks you out. And, while from the outside it looks like it's all about offense, he's put a high priority on defense. Without a great defense, they probably wouldn't have beaten Katy.â€

Stump, who sent Dodge his Katy game tape and told his former teammate what he thought would work against the Tigers defense, remembers Todd's ability to help other TJ players grasp the offense. But he said Thompson deserves more credit for that than he's taking.

“Ronnie made his quarterbacks have their head in the game, otherwise we'd have been like most other high school kids. Once a practice or a game was over, you would have other fish to fry. But not with Ronnie. He made sure you put extra time into studying the offense, so you knew what we were doing and why.

“I do think, dating back to our days at TJ, that one of Todd's greatest strengths is being able to communicate. Winning coaches are almost always great communicators. You have to be able to tell somebody how to do something in different ways until it clicks.â€

Stump said he also believes Dodge is as good as anybody in the profession at developing and coaching quarterbacks.

“His QBs have been the 5A Player of the year four straight years. I'm sure those kids would have been good no matter who coached them. But Todd coached them up to another level. People like to say great players make great coaches. Well, great coaches can make great players. Without Todd, I doubt any of those guys is the player of the year.â€

Sports editor Bob West can be e-mailed at [email protected]. His Sportsrap radio show airs Wednesday at 8:05 p.m. on KLVI (560-AM).

Great article by Bob West and it makes one wonder how much longer Dodge will be at SLC. I know he'll be there until his son graduates from SLC so that means more Dodge & SLC in state championships. He has the best of everything in the palm of his hand. Still it begs the question "Where will he go in the next few years?"

• 2 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder