HJ/OF/HJ WINS

hawkdad

Hard to win when you can't make free throws or easy shots!

HJ like I said earlier is the team to beat in 21-3A. 

Fontenot had a ton of easy points because we just didn't block out.

Not an excuse, but we were missing 2 players tonight, but I don't think they could have made up 17pts.

Oliva Wagner led the Cats with 18pts

Allie Beach 13pts

Ashton Wagner 5pts

Aimee Scales 2pts

Poppabear, were you in a yellow hoodie tonight?

Better team won tonight, Congrats HJ!!! They shot the ball well, we didn't. They made their free throws, we didn't. They beat us on the boards tonight too. Can't win many ball games when you play like that, and you definitely can't win games against good teams when you play like that. Get your heads up ladies, there is still a lot of basketball yet to be played. You learn a lot more from a loss than you ever will from a win!!!

Guest bleed orange

Better team won tonight, Congrats HJ!!! They shot the ball well, we didn't. They made their free throws, we didn't. They beat us on the boards tonight too. Can't win many ball games when you play like that, and you definitely can't win games against good teams when you play like that. Get your heads up ladies, there is still a lot of basketball yet to be played. You learn a lot more from a loss than you ever will from a win!!!

I agree Bobkat good post. This loss means nothing. Keep your heads up and work harder and good things will come. Remember lady bobcats there is round two. One game at a time though. We believe!!!!!!!!!!! Why were missing two players?

I agree Bobkat good post. This loss means nothing. Keep your heads up and work harder and good things will come. Remember lady bobcats there is round two. One game at a time though. We believe!!!!!!!!!!! Why were missing two players?

One was at the Inauguration and one is hurt.

Hardin-Jefferson takes down Lady Bobcats

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — There are a few facts in the game of basketball.

Fact No. 1 is free throw shooting is important, very important. Orangefield went 5-for-14 from the free throw line Tuesday night while Hardin-Jefferson was 14-for-19 at the charity stripe.

The shooting was a key factor in the Lady Hawks’ 55-38 victory over the Lady Bobcats.

Fact No. 2 would be turnovers can be important, very important.

Orangefield (18-5, 3-1) finished with 23 uncharacteristic turnovers while Hardin-Jefferson (17-6, 4-0) had 17.

The Lady Bobcats also suffered from a sluggish offense after the first half as the Lady Hawks limited Orangefield to 12 points in the second half.

Olivia Wagner, who had 18 points in the game, had 10 points alone in the first period.

Victoria Fontonot had the most impressive game of the night with 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Allie Beach finished with 13 points and seven boards while Jessica Weldon added five boards and five assists.

The wide-margin of victory was different in the first period when Orangefield had opened up a 14-5 lead.

Hardin-Jefferson then struck for eight straight points to climb to within 14-13.

After Orangefield’s Ashton Wagner, who had five points and four rebounds, hit a shot, Hardin-Jefferson’s Taylor Sutherland drained a three-pointer before the end of the period as the teams were tied at 16 heading into the second.

Hardin-Jefferson took the lead for good in the second after four straight points from Fontonot and the Lady Hawks led 21-19.

Sutherland, who had 12 points, then hit the period’s last five points as Hardin-Jefferson led 31-26 at half-time.

The Lady Hawks outscored the Lady Bobcats 13-5 in the third as Fontonot scored eight in the period and Hardin-Jefferson led 44-31 going into the fourth.

Olivia Wagner, who was held scoreless in the third, scored five in the fourth yet it was not enough as Hardin-Jefferson outscored Orangefield 11-7 in the game’s final eight minutes.

Hardin-Jefferson was 6-for-10 in the fourth period from the free throw line.

Orangefield travels to Silsbee for another important District 21-3A contest.

I thought the game changed on a defensive adjustment in the second quarter when Fontenot picked up Orangefields big girl down low.HJ should be proud of themselves tonight,this was a total team win.I thought I saw Poppabear cringe when the free throw rimmed out with 9 seconds left to seal the bet.No doubt about who the better team was tonight.Congrats Lady Hawks.

I usually don't say much on here but: As a Senior and Lady Hawk, I want to be the first to say that it has always been an honor to play against the Orangefield Lady Bobcats. I have been apart of this rivalry since Little Dribblers years ago, and the Orangefield girls have always been great competitors and given us a run for our money. HJ and OF together represent how great District 21 3A trully is. And to all the Orangefield fans, ya'll really are the epitome of what fan support is all about. The next round of district should be equally great. These are the memories that we will never forget.

With great appreciation,

Jamie King (aka JDAD's daughter)

Lady Hawk #22

I usually don't say much on here but: As a Senior and Lady Hawk, I want to be the first to say that it has always been an honor to play against the Orangefield Lady Bobcats. I have been apart of this rivalry since Little Dribblers years ago, and the Orangefield girls have always been great competitors and given us a run for our money. HJ and OF together represent how great District 21 3A trully is. And to all the Orangefield fans, ya'll really are the epitome of what fan support is all about. The next round of district should be equally great. These are the memories that we will never forget.

With great appreciation,

Lady Hawk #22

Well said!

I thought the game changed on a defensive adjustment in the second quarter when Fontenot picked up Orangefields big girl down low.HJ should be proud of themselves tonight,this was a total team win.I thought I saw Poppabear cringe when the free throw rimmed out with 9 seconds left to seal the bet.No doubt about who the better team was tonight.Congrats Lady Hawks.

Very good coaching! 

With great appreciation,

Lady Hawk #22

I agree, very well said.  I hope next time the outcome is different, but either way maybe we can meet again in the Regional Finals  ;D

With great appreciation,

Lady Hawk #22

Jamie great post...JDad you should be proud of this young lady...and I know you are!!! I think I speak for most Orangefield fans when I say we really do respect your team and program. It's always fun when these two teams get together and play. Good luck to you Jamie and your teammates the rest of the year!!!

I apologize to HJ. I misspelled Fontenot's name in the article. I really wrote it like that after reading their book and mis-read it from their book. I even questioned it in my mind yet never asked. I apologize for the mistake.

HJ your team is my favorite opposing team, along with Silsbee, to cover when I cover OF. Just like Silsbee, your team and coaches are top notch. I even make it a point to go tell Coach Sims she has a great team before I leave. I don't do that often.

OF stay with it. The shots don't fall sometimes for all good teams. Those shots will be back and good things will surely come.

Get well Wyatt, missed you out there tonight.

(Hope you like the picture of Aimee!)

I apologize to HJ. I misspelled Fontenot's name in the article. I really wrote it like that after reading their book and mis-read it from their book. I even questioned it in my mind yet never asked. I apologize for the mistake.

HJ your team is my favorite opposing team, along with Silsbee, to cover when I cover OF. Just like Silsbee, your team and coaches are top notch. I even make it a point to go tell Coach Sims she has a great team before I leave. I don't do that often.

OF stay with it. The shots don't fall sometimes for all good teams. Those shots will be back and good things will surely come.

Get well Wyatt, missed you out there tonight.

(Hope you like the picture of Aimee!)

We'll see tomorrow!

First let me say how proud I am of Jamie's post.  Jamie is one of our true leaders and a great competitor.  I am more proud of her character than anything.  As coaches, we try to instill good sportsmanship and winning OR loosing with class.  It is a breath of fresh air to see this from this young lady.  I agree 100% with her post.  The HJ/ Orangefield rivalry has always been so exciting and is so good for girls' basketball.  The OF girls and their program are 1st class and I so ADMIRE and envy their fan support!!!  It is a tough place to play because of that support. 

We'll see you on Feb. 6th.  I'm sure it will be another great game.

And Gabe....thank you so much for the kind words after the game.  You didn't have to walk over there and do that and I appreciate it.  You do a great job....wish we could get that coverage from the Bmt. Enterprise!!!!

Congrats Coach on the win last night.  This rivalry has become very exciting and I agree that it's great for girls basketball.  Let me say thay you run a class act program their at HJ.  That starts with you and your assistant coaches.  I was very impressed with your girls last night.  They never quit and play the game the way it should be played. I was going to go over after the game and introduce myself, but I had my kids and they were ready to go home.  I will try to meet you and hjhawks after the game in HJ.  

Oh yeah just wanted to tell you I went to the Lamar girls game on Saturday and saw that pic of you they have in the hall of the walk of champions.  Congrats!

Great game Lady Hawks! break out game for Fontenot she has really stepped up her game. Was glad to see so much fan support, and OF you guy's are a class act, I have never enjoyed a rivalry like the one with yall, sorry if anyone took offense but bleed and I were just trying to get everyone pumped up about the game. Gabe that was awesome, you being there helping cover the game, thanks so much for your dedication. Jamie also not only spoke very well on her post but she had a great game as well. Good luck to both squads the rest of the season, keep your heads up OF we split last year and it's still possible to do it again. Yall have a very good team, and we knew it after the first two minutes for sure.  ;D 

Gabe if you were wondering I had the yellow sweater on and was the widest one there on the visitor side.

Guest bleed orange

All I can say is "WOW". Great post Jamie. That is what high school basketball is all about. You don't see that class displayed very often. Jamie you are a very mature young lady for your age. I would like to pay the parents of this fine young lady a compliment. You did a great job of raising her and you should be proud.  Sorry I was unable to make the game last night but I did listen to it on KOGT. Thanks Gary and Gabe, you guys did a fantastic job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami