What is your biggest pet peeve...

bbwmf

about the difference in the girl's basketball program and the boy's? I will start it off. Why in the world can the girl's not get the "top" officials even every once in a while? Heck, sometimes it is a good thing if two happen to even show up. And under levels...how many times have you played with only one or someone who just happened to be in the gym. This year I have seen some of the unbelievably worst officiating at girl's games. I know of several times when we had first year officials calling varsity games. What is the deal??? Let's hear it, what is yours, I know of several of you just bursting at the seams to go off on this topic.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleed orange

I have two. The officials let the girls play to rough. When you are allowed to grab and hack then defense goes out the window. More and more kids do not play defense anymore. Also some kids not all only care about themselves not the team. I see more and more kids playing as individuals instead of part of a "Team".

If you notice there all not many young people officiating basketball. If you think it is bad now, in 10 years it will be worse.

At the risk of beating a dead horse.......I am just so put out with our local media's coverage of girls' sports!!!!  Channel 6 is probably the worst(maybe because that is the station I have watched most)...that is about to change.

Monday they had the setx. rangings for boys but NOT for girls???  What a slap in the face..why don't you just come out and announce....sorry but we really aren't THAT intrested in the girls' programs!

Last year we had 4 area teams at the regional round and I turn on the 6 o'clock news and they are covering the HJ-Silsbee boys tie break game in the Montagne without one mention of ANY of the girls games.  I called right then to let them know how I felt (of course to no evail). 

I do not know what else we as coaches and fans can do to right this wrong.  Anyone who has any suggestion, please let me know.  I'm on board!!!

Guest bleed orange

At the risk of beating a dead horse.......I am just so put out with our local media's coverage of girls' sports!!!!  Channel 6 is probably the worst(maybe because that is the station I have watched most)...that is about to change.

Monday they had the setx. rangings for boys but NOT for girls???  What a slap in the face..why don't you just come out and announce....sorry but we really aren't THAT intrested in the girls' programs!

Last year we had 4 area teams at the regional round and I turn on the 6 o'clock news and they are covering the HJ-Silsbee boys tie break game in the Montagne without one mention of ANY of the girls games.  I called right then to let them know how I felt (of course to no evail). 

I do not know what else we as coaches and fans can do to right this wrong.  Anyone who has any suggestion, please let me know.  I'm on board!!!

I agree!!!!

I agree coach, but I will say we are very lucky in Orange County to have the Orange Leader and KOGT.  For instance, KOGT is broadcasting our girls game tonight with WOS and the Orange Leader always has someone at every home game and some road games too.  I do agree that the local news channels should do more for girls basketball, their coverage is horrible.  It's all about the boys!!

As far as the local media coverage is concerned, I'll tell you what was told to me " We cover what sales, the boys have more selling points than the girls".

I will say that Channel 6 does give girls scores more often than the other stations do.

As far as the interest, the boys definetly have more than the girls. You can only name a couple of girls basketball programs around our area that draws more than their boys program. That's not enough to consider having more coverage.

As far as the local media coverage is concerned, I'll tell you what was told to me " We cover what sales, the boys have more selling points than the girls".

I will say that Channel 6 does give girls scores more often than the other stations do.

As far as the interest, the boys definetly have more than the girls. You can only name a couple of girls basketball programs around our area that draws more than their boys program. That's not enough to consider having more coverage.

Only if they are winning.

Guest bleed orange

we could always set up an exhibition game between a boys team then they would get some coverage. :D

The boys would not concentrate on the game. ;D

Guest bleed orange

liberals, and tree huggers

Apparently there was a post that was deleted. Here is a guess on what you mean. That is what's wrong with this country.

Doesn't always have to be a winning team that gets covered. We have two people here that can cover sports, one goes to a guys game and the other goes to a girls game. It's that simple. Now of course I say that and it will not be the case Friday because only of two big 21-3A district games on the boys side and only one girls game at home.

Guest bleed orange

Doesn't always have to be a winning team that gets covered. We have two people here that can cover sports, one goes to a guys game and the other goes to a girls game. It's that simple. Now of course I say that and it will not be the case Friday because only of two big 21-3A district games on the boys side and only one girls game at home.

A little "PR" work there Gabe. Nice!!!! A true salesmen. We in Orange County are thankful we have the Orange Leader. I have subscribed for 20 years and will continue to. Can I get a discount? Is there a discount for senior citizens? Help me out man.

Really wasn't doing PR, was just making a point. You know us, I'll cover all the teams no matter the record. It usually goes for who is home, who have you covered a lot lately, who is playing who etc, etc.

As for as the discount, how bout a big THANK YOU for your continued support and help when we have asked for it?

The bit about covering what sells....I am not sure about that always. For example, Monday night , HJ boys playing at home against Milburn Academy - everyone knew that this game would be a total bore. Home fans did not turn out,etc...But, one of the local stations sent out a camera crew??? Explain that? I am certainly not saying that the boys should not get the coverage ( I have a vested interest in that ), just does not make sense.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont