LOOKING (BACK) OVER THE YEARS PAST

skipper

in 1963 the orange tigers, should have won state a bad cold day for us tigers

That certainly would have been a wonderful thing, if it could have happened. But realistically, we didn't have the team or the talent to go all the way in 1963.

In district play, the hard fought win over Nederland was impressive, and Bridge City, Vidor and Jasper didn't present much of an obstacle in the next three games. But we did lose the final game at Silsbee, which set up a three way tie for first place. Only one team could go to the playoffs back then, so they did a three way coin toss and Nederland won. And then they lost to Conroe in the very first round.

The real shame of it, at least from our point of view, was not merely the fact that we didn't go to the playoffs, but rather if we had been the team playing, the game with Conroe would have to have been played in Orange under UIL rules.

You see, the previous year the really great 1962 team had played Conroe in the first round. And when it came to choosing the location of that game it was the same old story. We wanted a neutral site, they wanted a home town site, so the school officials flipped coins to settle it. Of course they won the toss, the other school always did, but it didn't do them any good. We still beat them in their own stadium.

But since the 1962 game was played in Conroe, if there had been a 1963 game, UIL rules would have required it to be in Orange. And, Heaven Be Praised, it wouldn't have involved a coin toss. A real shame that we didn't get to enjoy that luxury, for just one time.

But it was Nederland not us, the location for that game was decided by a coin toss, and Conroe won that toss, opted to play in their own stadium, and won the game.

But even if things had turned out differently, I don't think we could have won state. Not even sure we could have beaten Conroe.

About Jasper. Their really great days were ahead of them and they were not yet what they would later become. But they did have a really good quarterback named Tommy Mixon that year, and he was somebody who could hurt you. You don't forget opponents like that. Leastways I don't. Unfortunately for Tommy it didn't just rain that night when we played, it was a real SE Texas frog drowner. And the mud! Even our bright orange jerseys were just as brown as their white ones by the third quarter.

I always felt we would have won anyway, but I think the weather hurt them more than us because it limited Tommy so much. But he was a great quarterback. Hope he's still around and enjoying life. He certainly hasn't been forgotten.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami