Bleed this one is for you

OLDREF

I had the honor of doing the girls championship in orangefield over the weekend.  i say honor because in this day and age of win at all costs it was actually an enjoyable game.  Partly because of working with Vanessa Jones and Janell Lege,but mostly because both coaches were class acts.  Coach Nix from HYCA only questioned one call, and to be quite honest he was probably right.  Coach Jost has come into his own as a basketball coach.  Adversity will make people with good character just that much stronger.  Which leads me to the reason for the post.

When the game was over and my co-officials and I were after some gumbo there was this quiet gentleman taking care of us.  When we nearly finished I heard Janell say"Keith can I do anything to help.  It immediately caught my attention, because I had correspondence with Keith Little,but had never met him face to face.  What a pleasant surprise to find out that a gentleman who supplied me with a DVD of a game last year was such a class act.  Orangefield you should be indeed proud to have someone as articulate and humble at the same time represent you.

So, if you have time-why don't you post your favorite Keith Little story.  A man who is a class act should have lots of tails about him. Keith it was a pleasure to meet you face to face,and remember BLEED THIS ONE IS FOR YOU

Several years ago, after a HARD fought battle between HJ and O'field (to be honest, I can't even remember who won that particular game), Keith called me the next day simply to compliment our kids on their class.  KK had sprained her ankle and Yoshica Spears had gone over to check on her after the game.  It seemed a small act at the time but Keith took the time to personally call me the next day and compliment our kids and program.  I still remember that phone call and I don't know if I ever really told him how proud that made me.  Thank you Keith.  The competition between HJ and O'field is always fierce but it is such a great rivialry with great fans like you.

OLDREF,

Why didn't you post on the "Who gets possession?" post?  I really thought you would have...I'm sure you knew the correct answer.  Then I wouldn't have had to email UIL... ;)

But back to the subject at hand....Keith is one of Orangefield's greatest fans of all time.  He is very dedicated and truly cares about the kids.  And he's not shy to state his opinion if he thinks there is a way to improve any of the programs...just ask him, but be ready to hear what he has to say. ;D

Thanks Keith for all your dedication to Orangefield....you're a great asset to the community!

Sorry-Should of used spell check for Jost-also should have stated the rule for you FCC.

See if anyone can get this one right-teams A and B are tied -both teams in the bonus with Seven fouls each-There .02 seconds on the clock.  Team A has the ball for an inbound-A1 inbounds to A2-who catches the ball-shoots and misses-but is fouled by B1 as time expires. What should happen:

Bleed , you get this one right I will take you out to dinner at your favorite Cajun restaurant

Sorry-Should of used spell check for Jost-also should have stated the rule for you FCC.

See if anyone can get this one right-teams A and B are tied -both teams in the bonus with Seven fouls each-There .02 seconds on the clock.  Team A has the ball for an inbound-A1 inbounds to A2-who catches the ball-shoots and misses-but is fouled by B1 as time expires. What should happen:

Bleed , you get this one right I will take you out to dinner at your favorite Cajun restaurant

If I am not mistaken, isn't it the rule that the clock has to be .03 in order for a player to even get a shot off? I would think that the game would go to overtime, no foul.

Would this be a one and one awarded?    A legal shot can't occur with .02......  however if a foul occurred before time expired, it would have to be a non-shooting foul (one and one)...(and the time keeper fired...)

(A basket could be scored on a tap, but to catch and shoot, would not be a legal shot.)

Congratulations  H.J. HAWK !!!!

You are absolutely correct-the foul cannot be denied because it happened with time on the clock-however with .03 seconds or less the ball must be tapped-therefore there is no possibility of a shooting foul.  You clear the lane of players unless the officials rule that there is any time left on the clock and shoot one and one.  If the player makes the first shot A wins-if not we go into overtime.(which is where it should go to begin with).

Guest bleed orange

Thanks everyone. OLDREF it was a pleasure meeting you and you too are a class act my friend. I am humbled by your kind words. There are a lot more people in the world that do far more than what I do. Every volunteer, whether it be athletic booster, little dribbler, youth football, baseball, softball are any sport should be commended. If a kid shows good sportsmanship or is very respectful toward an adult. Let them and their parents know. Its hard to find those two qualities in kids these days and when you do see it or hear it, it is so refreshing. Sometimes parents, coaches and teachers need to hear good things about their kid, team and students. Because I promise they don't hear it enough. Kudos to all you coaches and teachers your jobs are not easy ones and I for one would like to say thanks for working with our young people. You guys definitely have my respect. I will see what I can do about the gumbo "HJHAWK".

OK referee wannabees

I am still not finished with the above scenario-situation is the same .02 left on the clock-team A and B both in the bonus-A1 inbounds A2 who catches and shoots the ball-B1 fouls A2 as time expires.THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THIS TIME THE BASKET WENT IN.  Game over? You tell me

OK referee wannabees

I am still not finished with the above scenario-situation is the same .02 left on the clock-team A and B both in the bonus-A1 inbounds A2 who catches and shoots the ball-B1 fouls A2 as time expires.THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THIS TIME THE BASKET WENT IN.  Game over? You tell me

Same exact result.  Basket not allowed as it was not a legal shot... however, a foul did occur... so a 1 and 1 would be awarded... (actually it would be one shot with the Ft lane cleared.....) 

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE OFFICIAL THAT HAS TO GO TELL THE COACH THAT THE SHOT HIS PLAYER JUST MADE AT THE BUZZER IS NO GOOD,BECAUSE IT WAS A N ILLEGAL SHOT,AND BY THE WAY COACH YOUR PLAYER HAS TO MAKE A FREETHROW OR WE ARE GOING INTO OVERTIME.

HJHAWKS-YOU HAVE MY RESPECT.  TRAINING SESSIONS START IN SEPTEMBER-HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE

Guest bleed orange

I respect you "OldRef". We talked at the tournament and you told me you remembered my grandfather "Frenchy Dominque. He officiated football for 36 years. He knew the rule book like the back of his hand. I officiated football for 10 years. People said it was in my blood. Instinct wise is was because I played football. Dedication wise it was not. I could never sit there and read the rule book. It put me to sleep after about one paragraph. You are dedicated my friend and that is why you are a good official. I applaud you guys because basketball and baseball is tough. Football is easy, you only have to listen to the coaches.

I call FOUL!!!! HJHawks has a rule book hidden somewhere in his desk. ;D ;D ;D

hahaha  actually, I read it every year....  It is amazing the number of coaches who gripe about officiating yet do not know the rules...  You never know when a rule like this would bite you in the rear....

Answer this one...Team A down 2pts, 1 second left she is fouled at half court..3 shots...makes all 3...Team A's bench stands up and cheers...Techincal called on the bench for cheering...Is that a legal call?

Where did this come from...hummmmmmmmm....

Answer this one...Team A down 2pts, 1 second left she is fouled at half court..3 shots...makes all 3...Team A's bench stands up and cheers...Techincal called on the bench for cheering...Is that a legal call?

Where did this come from...hummmmmmmmm....

I thought this was buried in the "never talk about this again" file.... 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami