STJFL Weight Limits

New Indian,

The West Beaumont Bulldogs are in now.  I am pretty sure the season is not going to be any longer than normal.  I am not sure I understand how anyone will have a weaker schedule by letting Beaumont in.  Also in case you don't know Woodville opted out for a new league closer to them this year.

land*shark,

It was not anything you said.  But your right I read the entire post and I just don't understand why people don't understand the we as volunteers spend countless hours for FREE, trying to put the best league forward for their kid to play in.  By best I don't mean best for their kid, but best for the entire league which includes about 1000-1200 kids.  A little less complaining and a little more understanding of what it is that we do for their kid to have a place to play would be nice. 

[/qu

what i meant by weaker schedule is some leagues have 3 or more teams and not all are their best team so like last year we played the WOS white team and beat them but didnt get to play the blue team, played 2 Ned teams and beat em but didnt play their best team the black team, i would like for a longer season by 1 or more games but thats not up tp me and i cannot go the the STJFL meeting since im scheduled every time they are. Its probably for the best that woodville went to the other league more teams in their area, im surprised that Kountze hasnt gone that way.I think that PNG has everyone go back into the draft since everybody has to try out again. But my son stated that he wont play for any other coach but the one that hes played for since starting in flag

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Indian,

The West Beaumont Bulldogs are in now.  I am pretty sure the season is not going to be any longer than normal.  I am not sure I understand how anyone will have a weaker schedule by letting Beaumont in.  Also in case you don't know Woodville opted out for a new league closer to them this year.

land*shark,

It was not anything you said.  But your right I read the entire post and I just don't understand why people don't understand the we as volunteers spend countless hours for FREE, trying to put the best league forward for their kid to play in.  By best I don't mean best for their kid, but best for the entire league which includes about 1000-1200 kids.  A little less complaining and a little more understanding of what it is that we do for their kid to have a place to play would be nice. 

what i meant by weaker schedule is some leagues have 3 or more teams and not all are their best team so like last year we played the WOS white team and beat them but didnt get to play the blue team, played 2 Ned teams and beat em but didnt play their best team the black team, i would like for a longer season by 1 or more games but thats not up tp me and i cannot go the the STJFL meeting since im scheduled every time they are. Its probably for the best that woodville went to the other league more teams in their area, im surprised that Kountze hasnt gone that way.I think that PNG has everyone go back into the draft since everybody has to try out again. But my son stated that he wont play for any other coach but the one that hes played for since starting in flag

This is a whole different topic but I thought the draft rules were established by the STJFL. What's the reason for global draft policies if one association can start from scratch each year while others are following the rules by keeping their teams. There are pros and cons both directions, but the associations should be following the same rules.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested in attending, the STJFL meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month and there is always a time set aside for 'audience questions'.  If anyone has a serious complaint and/or suggestion for the board, I'd honestly suggest you take it to your own association's board first, hash it out, decide what needs to be presented to the STJFL, and then have your associate council or representative (who should be in attendance at all STJFL meetings) present the complaints/suggestions to the STJFL as a unified one presented by your association.  BUT, having said that all are welcome to attend the meetings and listen or speak if you have something to add.

As for the draft policies, the are indeed set by the STJFL and all associations are required to follow the same policies.

Good luck to everyone this year!

I was at the weigh in for WO-S Junior Blue also and I can personally vouch they EVERY kid was weighed and MET the weight. You know I can understand why people are kinda jealous of our program because we win. Hey, why not insinuate that Lumberton is doing something wrong? I mean they had teams in all THREE divsions in the Super Bowl. When foolish people say foolish things guess what people think of them?

I respect every kid and coach in this league. I expect the same in return.

Well said Dragon. I don't think anyone is going to throw the red chalenge flag on us for getting all three teams to the Sperbowl. I bet next year when we win all three we'll be taking heat from all directions though. :)

Have nothing but respect for your players and coaches.

By the way: What is Karma and why don't I have more of it? I'm having to check twice before I cross the street now... Somebody give me some good Karma.  >:(

I gave you a karma.  Now your grand total is 1 raider. You have to start somewhere.  ;D

I wish you the best on the three wins next year but my money is on Beaumont from here on out.

I dont think so, we might have something to say about that

Gotta get going now got him signed up for football saturday hes already working out between bball games gaining weight so im all ready excited, you think beaumonts gonna beat yall?just because their BMT??

I aint been in hibernation, you just aint been around the boards much

Gotta get going now got him signed up for football saturday hes already working out between bball games gaining weight so im all ready excited, you think beaumonts gonna beat yall?just because their BMT??

I aint been in hibernation, you just aint been around the boards much

You know i don't like to look too far ahead, but I think BMT is gonna have their hands full when they step on the grass with us and ya'll. Our returners are getting exited too... thats all I hear about on the bb fields lately.

Maybe hibernation wasn't the right word... just not too much smack yet. lol

See you in a couple of months

• 3 months later...

I think it has less to do with "weight" and more to do with MUSCLE MATURITY. A 7 yo who weighs 90 pounds is not nearly the same as a 11 yo who weighs 90 pounds. Ive seen peewee kids who weigh 75 pounds but take them and line them up with a senior league kid who weighs 75 pounds..which there are plenty of...and there is no match up. Im pretty sure its more to do with this than the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has less to do with "weight" and more to do with MUSCLE MATURITY. A 7 yo who weighs 90 pounds is not nearly the same as a 11 yo who weighs 90 pounds. Ive seen peewee kids who weigh 75 pounds but take them and line them up with a senior league kid who weighs 75 pounds..which there are plenty of...and there is no match up. Im pretty sure its more to do with this than the other.

[/quote  Hey all.  New to the board so go easy...lol.  Just wanted to comment on this that I have found. I have been affiliated with STJFL now for two years.  As far as I am concerned, this is a jam up leauge! My coaches and I are always talking about this at various practices.  The weight limits for Pee Wee and Juniors are the the same.  Why is there not a gap in between Pee Wee and Juniors like the gap between Juniors and Seniors?  Maybe I havent been associated with the Leauge long enough to know the reason.  If it has already been beaten down, then I understand.  If not, then the question is raised again...why not have a middle of the road weight somewhere around 135 or so for Juniors....I'm just pulling that out of the air of course...I have coached Flag, Pee Wee, and Junior divisions.  There is an obvious learning curve that comes with age.  I have seen several kids that don't make weight for a specific division, and play up because either the parents think the kid can handle it, or the parents couldn't handle the kid not playing!!!!!  This is the worst being that the majority of the kids that do this end up hurt because of not understanding the play routes, or blocking schemes.Just not mature enough to pay attention long enough to know what's going on.  More than half either end up quitting, or getting hurt and ruining their chances of ever playing again...There were several close calls for this season that I personally know of, and no telling how many more out there.  (One) of these instances, a Pee Wee player age 8 was weighed.  He weighed over 125lbs...should he play Seniors?  Obviously not!!!  The mentality of an 8 year old as compared to an 11 year old can not be compared...formula spells severe injury.  So the parents of all of these kids being of sound mind, thank goodness, said we will have to wait until little johnnie is older. ( and possibly never play).  These kids that I am refering to were not FAT, just big kids.  I know that its not just me, but if you are a coach, then you know that kids are getting bigger and bigger every year....anyway, I have heard an endless stream of comments about this topic for a long time and am curious...thanks for reading...

I was in the league a couple of years and if I remember right, the kids busted weight did not have place to play at until the rule was implemented to allow them to move up to the next division.

You have to remember, that the majority of the kids fit the weight. A few years ago, the weights were;

No Pee-wee

Jr ages 8, 9, & 10. 10 year olds max 80 lbs, 8 & 9 115 lbs.

I f you know were the league was and where it is now you may be able to understand.

If the 8 year old you are referring to busted weight in the peewee division then he would have played in the junior division not the senior division.  So he would be playing against 9 and 10 year olds.

I believe you are wrong.  My 8 yr old was told if he did not make the 125 weight that he would be forced to play Sr.  I double checked the rules and they were correct.  That was last year.  Lucky for him, he made it (barely) and he was an above average (not dominant) lineman in PeeWee.  He would have gotten killed in Sr as an 8 yr old.

If the 8 year old you are referring to busted weight in the peewee division then he would have played in the junior division not the senior division.  So he would be playing against 9 and 10 year olds.

I believe you are wrong.  My 8 yr old was told if he did not make the 125 weight that he would be forced to play Sr.  I double checked the rules and they were correct.  That was last year.  Lucky for him, he made it (barely) and he was an above average (not dominant) lineman in PeeWee.  He would have gotten killed in Sr as an 8 yr old.

Your right.......a year makes a lot of difference physically but more importantly mentally!!

After reading your post, I double checked again.  I found the same as daddy 23 that if a player busts 125lbs, they will move to seniors because the weight limit for pee wee and juniors are the same for LO's.

I do not know what you are reffering to??? This is straight from the STJFL.net website

Special Notes:

* A participant who is twelve (12) on September 1 that will turn   

thirteen (13) before May 30 of the following year must not exceed the

weight of 120 lbs.

* A person who is enrolled in the 7th grade or higher of the ensuing

football season shall not be allowed to compete in the STJFL, Inc.

If a player exceeds weight in their division, they may move up to the

next division with no position restrictions, until they meet the age

requirement for that division.  Any player moving up to any division

must meet the overall weight requirement for that division.

Sorry for the earlier post. I meant to say that the summary of weight limits is incorrect. The by-laws is what is governed. Below is straight from the by-laws.

Someone from the STJFL needs to delete or re-phrase the summary.

By the way is says the samething for JR's.

SECTION 2. PEEWEE TACKLE DIVISION: To qualify for a Pee-Wee tackle football team the participant must be age (8) eight or under on September 1 and not exceed the weight of 125 lbs.  If a player exceeds weight for the Junior division, the player will be allowed to play up as an unlimited weight player in the Junior division for year (s) that the player has not met the weight requirements for the Junior division.  Any pee-wee tackle participant that exceeds 90 lbs. will be restricted to a down lineman position tackle to tackle on offense, between the tackles on defense, and line of scrimmage kick off receive only.  To qualify for a pee-wee tackle cheer team, the participant must be age (8) eight and under on September 1st.

You may be right but we were told differently, although maybe in error.  I hope others are not also confused, but I have heard over 125 you play SRs from more than just one or two people. 

Like I said before, my boy made weight last year and again this year, so it turned out to not be an issue.  I don't know yet about next year.  I am not griping or complaining about the weight rules either.  It is a hard thing to balance the best interests of everyone is such a differse league.  If I felt strongly about it, I would try to join the board and change it.  Instead, I am just greatful to all of those who do spend the time and effort to make these leagues happen.

And I am glad that we have not had to play up yet.

From the by-laws in 2008,

SECTION 5.  EXCEEDING WEIGHT: If a player exceeds weight in their division, they may move up to the next division with no position restrictions, until they meet the age requirement for that division. 

Therefore if he were in PeeWee he would move up to Junior.  If you were told anything different you were told wrong.  I am sorry that you were told wrong, but sometimes people think they know the rules and by laws and really they are just saying what they have been told.  For eight years, i have been to almost every meeting of the STJFL give or take 1 or 2.  I halped or wrote most of the by-laws, not saying I am always 100% right by usually pretty darn close.

From the by-laws in 2008,

SECTION 5.   EXCEEDING WEIGHT: If a player exceeds weight in their division, they may move up to the next division with no position restrictions, until they meet the age requirement for that division. 

Therefore if he were in PeeWee he would move up to Junior.  If you were told anything different you were told wrong.  I am sorry that you were told wrong, but sometimes people think they know the rules and by laws and really they are just saying what they have been told.  For eight years, i have been to almost every meeting of the STJFL give or take 1 or 2.  I halped or wrote most of the by-laws, not saying I am always 100% right by usually pretty darn close.

Sorry, been busy past few days.  THANK YOU, for the update on the weight question.  I also appreciate the hard work all of the STJFL board members do.  Especially with it being on a volunteer basis, I know as a coach myself that the time you spend is very valuable.  This is a great league, and look forward to several more years of having a great time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics