*HJ vs. LC-M Updates/HJ Pulls It Out In OT!!*

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HJ will be fine. They are getting ready for district. They still haven't settled in a final rotation yet. They are not looking to win all these games. They are just working on the little things. Other teams get up for HJ because they know they are better. They get everyones best shot. Once district rolls around they should be fine. The only worry is the turnovers but that will get less and less with each game. The two Silsbee games will still be great and HJ will get a few playoff wins.

I agree, I too think Silsbee has a better team this year, they have A LOT of weapons, but the best team doesn't always win. Last night was not pretty at all, HJ had a decent 12 or 13 point lead at the half, came out in the 3rd and stank it up missing a lot of shots and turning the ball over, props to LCM for standing tall and fighting back, they do play good defense. HJ will be fine when district gets here. we are not seeing the whole court yet, when we do watch out. I would also like to give a shout out to the refs last night I thought they called a great game. As for the Bear cave crazies...yall sounded good last night, you were more organized than our hecklers, when you cheered you were all together, just don't stop when your team gets down it got quiet before the half. Godd luck to yall in District I'm sure you will do fine. Step it up Hecklers the Hawks need you to be loud and proud.

I do believe HJ has potential but in these early games they have not shown what I know that they can do. Having the big three can help them in the long run but it takes more than that when it comes down to the final min. HJ will dominate everyone in district except (Silsbee, unless they have an off night). The Silsbee-HJ showdown will be a good one but I still think Silsbee will be too much for them though. As long as HJ does what they know that they're capable of doing then I don't see them losing too many more games this year except to my tigers ;D ;D

am i making this up or didnt LC-M lose to BC... and then HJ plays LC-M close.... what does that mean... im not sure... im a little confused on how that adds up

BC thumped LC-M by 30 and this will be an interesting district for 2008-2009.  OF, HJ, WOS, BC all have a shot at #2 and #3 spots behind the Tigers because after seeing them it seems they can play at any level on any court and be a contender or winner.

Bears fall just short to H-J in OT

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — A young but hungry Little Cypress-Mauriceville team battled back from a big halftime deficit against the No. 8-ranked team in Class 3A, but it was the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks that were able to hang on at the Bear Cave Tuesday night in overtime.

The Hawks (8-2) blew a 23-11 halftime lead against the Bears (2-6) but made critical plays in the extra session as they went on to notch a 49-47 victyory.

The Bears got themselves back into it with a 16-2 spurt to start the third quarter as they took a 27-25 lead. H-J closed with the last five point to lead 30-27 heading into the fourth.

H-J extended a 40-39 lead to 42-39 when guard Jarvis Bernard hit two free throws with 0:14 left in regulation. Then LC-M sophomore Hunter Gonzales, who had 20 points, 14 of them coming in the fourth period and overtime, hit a three-pointer just above the key, barely beating the buzzer and pushing the game into overtime.

The Bears led by as much as 47-44 in OT after a Gonzales turnaround jumper with 2:07 left. However, the Hawks closed with the last five points of the game, holding LC-M scoreless in the final 2:07. Bernard, who had 12 points, hit a runner in the lane to trim the margin to 47-46. Trey Burrell, who had 17 points and seven rebounds, snak 1-of-2 free throws to tie it. With 0:09 left, Bernard sealed it with two free throws. The Bears had one desperation shot with 0.85 left but Gonzales had to take a wild shot with two Hawks all up in his grill.

The Hawks outrebounded the Bears 35-25. H-J forced LC-M into 24 turnovers while H-J had 19. LC-M was 11-of-20 from the free-throw line. H-J went 20-of-28 with Burrell going 9-for-10.

Jacoby Turner added 10 points and nine rebounds for the Hawks.

Cameron Johnson had eight points for the Bears. Luke Thomas led LC-M with six rebounds while Gonzales finished with five.

The Bears will compete in the Orangefield Tournament today through Saturday.

Nederland boys 47, Orangefield 45

ORANGEFIELD — The Nederland Bulldogs erased a 40-35 deficit by outscoring the Orangefield Bobcats 12-5 in the fourth quarter to notch a 47-45 win at Bobcat Gym Tuesday night.

Zach Hayes, who missed what would have been a game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer for the Bobcats (6-2), led Orangefield with 15 points while Stefan Addison pitched in with 10.

Francis Torres led the Bulldogs with 15 points while Chris Hammond pumped in 14.

The Bobcats will host their own tournament today through Saturday.

Bridge City boys 75, Deweyville 73

DEWEYVILLE — The Bridge City Cardinals nipped the Deweyville Pirates 75-73 in non-district hoop action at Pirate Gym Tuesday night.

The Cardinals (9-2) rallied from a 62-59 third-quarter deficit to down the Pirates (3-6).

Post Dalton Estes led the Pirates with a huge double-double, scoring 25 points and yanking down 17 rebounds.

Colby Caswell pumped in 22 points and had six assists and four steals. Garrett Haney contributed 11 points and five boards. Keeton Addison had seven points and eight rebounds while Eric Avila had seven rebounds and six assists.

The Pirates will host the Deweyville Classic today through Saturday.

Anahuac girls 54, Deweyville 27

ANAHUAC — The Anahuac Lady Panthers took down the Deweyville Lady Pirates 54-27 in the District 23-2A opener for both squads Tuesday night.

The Lady Panthers outscored the Lady Pirates (5-7, 0-1) 18-5 in the first period.

Amanda Vincent led the Lady Pirates with 11 points while Angel Hopkins powered Anahuac with 20.

The Lady Pirates will host the Deweyville Classic today through Saturday.

Guest ST4life

Here is my predictions for district:

1st--Silsbee 10-0

2nd--HJ 8-2

3rd--OF 6-4

4th--WOS 4-6

5th--BC 2-8

6th--HF 0-10

That is a good perdiction but I think Silsbee might lose 1 district game to HJ when they play them at HJ cause yalls fans go crazy in that gym........

Guest tigersvoice

1st--Silsbee 10-0

2nd--HJ 8-2

3rd--OF 6-4

4th--WOS 4-6

5th--BC 2-8

6th--HF 0-10

I concur, sir.

I hope you both are right!  But never count out H-J in their own gym.  In that box with their "Hecklers" it is an insane atmosphere.  Sort of Bermuda Triangle-ish in Southeast Texas.

1st--Silsbee 10-0

2nd--HJ 8-2

3rd--OF 6-4

4th--WOS 4-6

5th--BC 2-8

6th--HF 0-10

I concur, sir.

I think you are wrong I really think WO-S will compete with O-Field for 3rd place and win it. BC are doing well at the moment but once district comes they wont be as good to me.

1. Silsbee-10-0

2. HJ-8-2

3. WO-S 5-5

4. O-Field 5-5

5. BC 1-9

6. HF 1-9

WO-S will win the playoff battle with O-Field

Guest immabeaking

1st--Silsbee 10-0

2nd--HJ 8-2

3rd--OF 6-4

4th--WOS 4-6

5th--BC 2-8

6th--HF 0-10

That is a good perdiction but I think Silsbee might lose 1 district game to HJ when they play them at HJ cause yalls fans go crazy in that gym........

thats dumb... the tigers will beat HJ at home... nederland beat HJ at home hello.... the tigers went to central and the refs gave gulley 7 fouls to play with i am pretty sure all 5 of their starters fouled out at least once... talk about a hostile enviorment... i am positive the tigers can handle HJ

i just read the HJ/LCM article, and something jumped out at me... and i quote:

"The Bears had one desperation shot with 0.85 left but Gonzales had to take a wild shot with two Hawks all up in his grill." 

was that really posted in the newspaper?  The orange leader is given credit for the article.

We did a pretty good job in the first half creating transition buckets off our press and traps.  When LCM got the ball across half court, they played a slow, methodical, patient, half-court set.  The halftime score of 23-11 I could live with.  I thought we were on our way to more of the same in the 2nd half, with maybe a few runs to pad the score.  Instead, we lost our intensity on D, stopped pushing the ball, and became woefully bogged-down in our half-court sets.  We started turning it over like crazy, too.  The guys looked lethargic, maybe tired, in the 2nd half-- like someone else would pick it up...  Jarvis never really got it going; we usually struggle when that's the case.  We were lucky to get out of there with the W.

Congratulations to the sophomore who hit that 3 at the buzzer!  Congrats also to the LCM student section: y'all help your team. 

hj and silsbee will play for  the championship and orangefield will get third no doubt sorry but bc can't compete!!!!!!!!!!

You got it Hawk that's just the way we like it, you pretend we don't exist and we will take care of the rest.

HJ recognizes that you exist..........just in 4-5th place!!!!!

Guest immabeaking

HJ are overrated...they will still go to the playoff but only two or three rounds deep. They just not proving anything to at all!!!

It is DECEMBER........  Oh, I forgot.... you get bonus points in the playoffs for proving things in games in early December...

oh right i forgot HJ is the only team who plans on improving... think about it yall get better... silsbee gets better... you never really get worse oh and by the way on silsbees worse day theyre still better than yall...

Guest Pissedoffgranny23

Its the truth HJ is garbage this year...Beating lcm in overtime when bc beat lcm by 30??? Straight garbage...you never know...jarvis better step up before its silsbee of and bc in play-offs