The Slot t offense/CALDWELL RUNS IT WELL!

GUNHO

Caldwell runs the slot t.Will this be the first time wo-s has seen it?How do you defend it?I know in the past when we have faced offenses we did not play much( Ennis spread for one )they would take it to us for at least the first half before we could make half time adjustments.Did Vidor run that or the wing t?I know they did well with it in our scrimmage against them. Just a little concerned.Anyone have any info.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vidor runs the slot t.  You can stop the slot t by having some beef up front that can take on a double team on the iso.  When they try to sweep to the edges you have GOT to have your outside backer or safety (whomever it is on your defense) to come crashing hard and take out the pulling guards on the offenses side of the ball.  This will slow down the sweeps but if they have more spead than you they will still get on the edge and cause damage. 

Simply put, your linebackers need to do what they are taught and read the guards.  The guards will take you to the football.  If they pull its a trap or sweep or bootleg.  If they base block or come straight at you its a dive or iso.

Thanks Eagle.I know teams that run the slot t can cause problems.I also think it is only as good as your execution is.I hear Liberty Hill runs it to allmost perfection and it's hard to stop on them.Don't know how well Caldwell runs it but I'm sure they do a decent job.

Thanks Eagle.I know teams that run the slot t can cause problems.I also think it is only as good as your execution is.I hear Liberty Hill runs it to allmost perfection and it's hard to stop on them.Don't know how well Caldwell runs it but I'm sure they do a decent job.

Caldwell runs it really well!  They quick huddle from about 4 yards away from the ball.  Sprint to the line, set, snap and go.  A lot of trapping inside and outside.  Play action pass is pretty effective.  

I saw Kirbyville beat Caldwell last year.  The RB they had last year went to Texas.  He was a stud!  Earl Campbell's nephew... Cantu was his name.

Last year against Kirbyville, Caldwell acting like they have never had to defend a forward pass.

Livingston runs the slot t and took it to Dayton Saturday night. It allows you to run right at somebody and control the football.  Teams that run the slot t effectively are usually looking to control the clock and play smashmouth football.  If your defense can't stop that then they can be in trouble.

Livingston runs the slot t and took it to Dayton Saturday night. It allows you to run right at somebody and control the football.  Teams that run the slot t effectively are usually looking to control the clock and play smashmouth football.  If your defense can't stop that then they can be in trouble.

So.If you are having trouble stopping it the only thing you can do is to match score for score and hope you are ahead at the end with as little time left as possible for this type of offense?

So.If you are having trouble stopping it the only thing you can do is to match score for score and hope you are ahead at the end with as little time left as possible for this type of offense?

WOS has an explosive offense correct?  Then score early and often and force them to do things they are not used to do.  If your used to running the slot t and that's all you do then when it's time for you to pass it's hard because teams know it and they can jump all over the slot t running game and sit back and wait on the pass.

Score early and any team who depends on the run will get out of their comfort zone and struggle.

Reading this thread is really exciting.  I am at school and haven't been able to attend a Mustang game so far this season.  So someone please fill me in!  How are we looking on offense, like what kind of offense do we run?

And I saw some of you talking about the Vidor scrimmage, how did we do against them?  I see we have an excellent defense, but do y'all think we can stuff this Slot-T offense of Caldwell's?  I mean, we ARE the Mighty Mustangs  :P  but realistically, what do y'all think?

We are talking about the #1 defense in 3A in the state of Texas, they will be ok.  The question may be how well Caldwell handles the WO-S offense which I believe is getting close to clicking, and if that does happen my advice to whomever may be in the way is to "BE SOMEWHERE ELSE."

We are talking about the #1 defense in 3A in the state of Texas, they will be ok.  The question may be how well Caldwell handles the WO-S offense which I believe is getting close to clicking, and if that does happen my advice to whomever may be in the way is to "BE SOMEWHERE ELSE."

Like I've posted several times before..  We're averaging a margin of victory of over 40 points per game which is unheard of at WO-S (no previous squad has had a MOV of more than 30 at this point in the season).  We've traditionally relied on our very strong defense to get us through and tend to get burned mainly by teams with strong defenses (rather than strong offenses, Wimberley '05 being the only recent exception that I can think of).  As our offense is scoring more than 10 points per game more than any other prior WO-S team, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances in the future. 

Please don't write off Caldwell, Gilmer or Carthage (or anyone else) but since Caldwell, Gilmer and Carthage (likely opponents in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds respectively) are primarily offense-oriented teams (all of them allowing 14+ points per game on defense) I'm thinking WO-S should have the definite advantage since all three teams will be playing into what WO-S does best, which is frustrating high-powered offenses (remember that Coldspring was averaging over 35 points per game and we held them to 8 despite two turnovers).  I'm predicting that when any of the three find out that they can't just waltz up and down the field like they've been used to all season that they will quickly get frustrated and from that point on WO-S will DOMINATE.

Good luck 'stangs!

;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33